Divinity: Original Sin II - Life after death, unlocked!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The stretch goal 'Undead Origins' has been achieved and Swen gives some more info about the undead of Rivellon in Kickstarter update #5:
It's celebration time, so grab a glass of hemlock tea and hie yourself to the nearest graveyard. You smashed through the next stretch goal, and now it's official: the Undead will be featured as a playable race in D:OS2.

In this video, we learn a bit more about what's in store for the Undead in Rivellon from our lead writer Jan and concept artist Tania, and Swen gives us another peak into Larian's adventures at PAX.

More information.

The campaign is going very well.
Good for Larian, and good for players.

It's really nice. I always love to play as an undead in games.

Really good to see they (and we, RPG gamers, of course) are doing well with the KS.

This was my preferred goal, good that it has been reached.

Very funny the end of the video when Swen turns to number 1 game in the magazine (Half life) and say "ok, that will be difficult". Very charismatic, we can see that he really likes doing what he does (RPGs).

While I'm happy for you guys who like to play as an undead, I'm a little worried about what this means for the game generally in terms of credible, immersive reactivity.
NPC reaction should be dynamic and depend on the player character. A player character being an undead for sure would in an immmersive world cause very different reactions than the typical human. So if D:OSII was a game with immersive, credible reactivity integrating these reactions for undeads would be so much work that I assume they wouldn't make this a stretch goal.
So I fear D:OSII won't be this kid of game.

There is a reason why their writing team has tripled in size (from 2 to 7), as with every background and race the NPC intereactions increase. On top of that their team has grown to 90 people. I'm not that negative as you that they can't accomplish it, although with all this, it will surely will not be a 2016 release.

Ok, these numbers make a little less sceptical.
Still I think for undead it doesn't scale. Whereas a lot of the NPC might react indifferent to an elf and a human, the reaction to an undead is always different. Hope they thought this through. But well… they're way more experienced in creating games than me. ;)

Still I think for undead it doesn't scale. Whereas a lot of the NPC might react indifferent to an elf and a human, the reaction to an undead is always different. Hope they thought this through. But well… they're way more experienced in creating games than me. ;)

How do you know that the reaction to undead is always different in Rivellon? In Dragon Commander, nobody seemed to have a problem with the Chosen Ones...outside of them being religious conservative.

It is really a good point you have in there, I hadn't thought about it. I won't be easy to implement, hope they can do it right.

How do you know that the reaction to undead is always different in Rivellon? In Dragon Commander, nobody seemed to have a problem with the Chosen Ones…outside of them being religious conservative.
Yep, you're right. I'm not a Rivellon expert. It might be not a problem at all.

Would be nice if they also added undead romance as well.

You could in Dragon Commander.

Back
Top Bottom