Rampant Games - A Bit More Conservative

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
No, Jay Barnson did not decide to write about politics. Instead he writes about becoming a bit more conservative over time about pushing novel design ideas.

I was a lot more opinionated about RPG design a few years ago. I talked a lot more about experimental design ideas, pushed a lot more concepts that really went far outside the bounds (well, I thought they did, anyway) of conventional design. I’ve come to realize I don’t do that so much these days. I’ve become a little bit more conservative with my ideas.

Why is this? I mean, shouldn’t we always be pushing the boundaries of the genre, doing newer and cooler and more interesting things? Absolutely! But I think these are the reasons I’ve toned down some of my bolder statements of how things ought to be:

#1 – Experience
Now that I’ve gone through the experience of building a commercial computer role-playing game, I’m a bit older and wiser. I realize that you have to pick your battles. People crave familiarity as much as they crave novelty. You have to find a good mix. Pick what to change, what to try, and what fundamentals to stick with. But a lot of it is just having a broader understanding of why designers have made the choices they did… because I’ve had to make the same choices.

#2 – I’ve tried them

#3 – The genre has already expanded

#4 – Experimental is everywhere

#5 – I’ve been humbled

#6 – Seeing Lots of Perspectives

#7 – Ideas aren’t unique

#8 – Deeds not words
More information.

Sensible input for those gamers who are always clamoring for "something different". There's still something to be said for tried and true, with a sprinkling of novelty and innovation in the right places.

Last edited:
I always joke that I was the world greatest game designer before I actually had to design and build games for a living. ;) I think part of it is Dunning-Kruger, but I think the other reasons are equally valid. Times have changed, and I wasn't the only one who had big ideas (even the same big ideas) about how things Ought To Be. The last couple of years have left me both pumping my fist and scratching my head, but at least they haven't been boring on the RPG front.

But yeah, it's kinda sobering when you find yourself doing the same thing you once complained about, not because it's simply easy, but because you've come to realize that under the circumstances, it's probably the best choice. Maybe there's a very interesting alternative out there, but it won't work well unless you really make it the focus of the game, and that's not what you are going after.

But yeah, it's kinda sobering when you find yourself doing the same thing you once complained about, not because it's simply easy, but because you've come to realize that under the circumstances, it's probably the best choice. Maybe there's a very interesting alternative out there, but it won't work well unless you really make it the focus of the game, and that's not what you are going after.

This world would be a lot better if more people learned this. Whether you are talking about running your house, a company, a country.
It's easy to be social justice warrior on Facebook. It's tough to make good calls knowing all the facts.

Back
Top Bottom