Legends - Video

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Here is a blast from the past for all you indie watchers out there. We first reported about the game Legends three years ago. Since our first newsbit the developer has slowly been making progress with the game. Now there is a video to show off the latest build of the engine and a few locations that appear in the first couple of chapters in the story. Just in case you forgot about this game (I did) here is an overview of what the game is about:
So what is Legends? It's a project that has been in development for a number of years now, the aim being to create a role-playing game set in an original world that mixes aspects of fantasy literature with elements of early medieval history. To do this the first step has been to create the Legends CRPG engine that gives the player a three dimensional first person view of the world. For all the technical details of what makes up the Legends engine please refer to the Development Page. If you are more interested in what type of gameplay you can experience with Legends then please read on.
As the Legends game has developed the goal has been to create an environment where the player can shape his or her avatar as desired. Characters may become a thief not through selecting a class prior to starting the game, but through their actions. Just as character classes are not explicitly selected, characters statistics will not be explicitly shown. While status bars will show fatigue, strength, etc there will not be pages of numbers stating that a certain character has an intelligence of 18 and a level of 12. Weapons will not be described as a 'Sword +3' for example, it being assumed that the player (with feedback from NPCs in the game) will be able to work out that mail armour is more resistant than leather.
More information.

... I know they are trying to make something good but their failing with that poo. Such a bad foundation to start on.

Its like they used an engine from a game design book in the 90s.

I think it looked OK to be honest. As long as the draw distance is good enough to take in the landscape, and the world is going to be filled with some Gothic-like details (Plants, trees, muchrooms, signs, etc. etc.) I have no problem with the blocky graphics. It's a bit concerning that it took them three years to make this though... :uneasy:

Sounds like an interesting approach. Not often you see people make a spreadsheet style character-based rpg without the numbers. Graphics wise, it kinda reminds me of Mount and Blade back when I played it a few years ago.

Me too. I don't see what is so horrible with it. I liked Mount and Blade and those graphics were hardly any better than these. It's an indie. They don't have the resources that AAA publishers do.

I agree with evilkoala though. It has taken him quite a long time to get this far, but that is the way the cookie crumbles with indies.

They don't have the resources that AAA publishers do.

You don't need those resources to have something waaay better than this.

One of the cheap already made engines blow this popsicle stand. You probably don't even have to pay for one till you go commercial with the game.

The website sure is a blast from the past. Frames, a "links" page, QuickTime videos in 320x240 and 640x480... but I miss the "under construction" icon? ;)

I regard Quicktime as a cheap way to encode videos, and the small "window" as a nod towards people living outside the big cities, those without broadband.

… I know they are trying to make something good but their failing with that poo.

Is that a try how far certain words are tolerated in this forum ?

I'd like to know how anyone can tell that the game will be a pile of anything from the graphics. Just curious. So there's nothing worthwhile about the concepts or ideas—it's all terrible because of an outmoded presentation?

Not saying the site has rocked my world or anything, but I can think of a lot of up to date, attractive games that have absolutely nothing innovative about them anywhere else besides the packaging.

I never get excited about indie games till a full demo is out. 90% of these efforts never see the light of day. For every Eschalon, there are 50 Grimoires.

Hmmm 1st impressions were the spelling mistakes/typo on the page. Kinda threw me off.

Don't know why they built their own engine, but I think the architectural models are very nice, actually. The landscape and fog give me a morrowind-like feel. A bit empty still, but that may change. Good effort for an indie on the visual side. Let's hope they come through with the game as well.

I regard Quicktime as a cheap way to encode videos, and the small "window" as a nod towards people living outside the big cities, those without broadband.

I thought everyone was using YouTube for that now ... don't even have to host the file that way ...

God I love Indie games like this. I love "next-gen" graphics but I am ok with low quality visuals as long as the gameplay is refreshing.

Mount & Blade on the other hand was just crap as far as I am concerned. Didn't like it, couldn't sit through even the first half without falling asleep.

Back
Top Bottom