Mass Effect - How It Took Over the World @ CVG

You're right, I've only been playing them since wolfenstein. But these days I hate any kind of realistic war based games or present day settings, so I'm strictly a sci-fi shooter player. Last shooter I enjoyed before ME2 was Half life 2 really, maybe Bioshock.

I need more than war to keep me interested. Medal of Honor couldn't keep me interested for long, but the Call of Duty series have several great titles. But since ME is a 3rd person it's easier to compare it with the games it tries to copy (see below).

That available on the PC?

No. It's PS3 only. Uncharted won a ridicilous amount of awards, inluding 10 different categories in Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. I have a couple of reasons to believe it's the sucess of the Uncharted (and Gears of War) that Bioware try to cash in on, like adding stealth mechanics.

Ahh the hatred for bioware, it is strong here today:)

I liked mass effect 1 and 2…definately light rpgs but they were good games, I'm sorry to see some of you didn't.

The point here is rather *not* that they were "good games".

The point here is that the author describes them as the ultimate pinnacle of role-playing EVAR !

There is a fine line between telling a "game is good" and a "game pwns" !

My hope for the series is that after ME3 they will liscense it out to other developers who will do different things with it, and I'm sure if that happened someone would develop the RPG elements more and focus less on the combat (which has become the end all and be all of the series).

I really hope that happens because I love the Mass Effect universe, I think it's easily as rich and interesting as Star Wars or Star Trek. I'd hate to see it end with ME 3. And equally I'd hate to see Bioware do another ME installment.

I will probably give ME 3 a miss. I'm interested enough to give it a go when it's bargin bin price but buying the game would in effect be giving my approval to Bioware and I won't do that.

It's just such a shame that Bioware holds the rights to such an awesome franchise. It's like Atari with the rights to Dungeons and Dragons. It's sad.

My hope for the series is that after ME3 they will liscense it out to other developers who will do different things with it, and I'm sure if that happened someone would develop the RPG elements more and focus less on the combat (which has become the end all and be all of the series).

I really hope that happens because I love the Mass Effect universe, I think it's easily as rich and interesting as Star Wars or Star Trek. I'd hate to see it end with ME 3. And equally I'd hate to see Bioware do another ME installment.

I will probably give ME 3 a miss. I'm interested enough to give it a go when it's bargin bin price but buying the game would in effect be giving my approval to Bioware and I won't do that.

It's just such a shame that Bioware holds the rights to such an awesome franchise. It's like Atari with the rights to Dungeons and Dragons. It's sad.

This is pretty funny, you do know that bioware made up the whole Mass Effect universe, so not only do they own the rights, they basically know everything about it.....sad that they created a cool universe like that.

I own both played an hour of me1 and none of me2. I guess I should play them someday.

I sort of agree, but Bioware deserves some credit for at least creating such a rich atmosphere and universe in the first place. With that out of the way, it would be great to see a different developer do something ambitious with the setting, someone that isn't so concerned/obsessed with the bottom line. Then again, because Bioware holds the rights and therefor the direction of the series, in the unlikely event that an outside developer even gets a chance on an ME project, it would still need to be made with "mass-market appeal" in mind. That would mean "different developer, same problem." Sadly, this probably means that the setting will never see its vast potential fulfilled. I see the license being relegated to multi-player focused Gears of War clones with a sci-fi paint-job.

Edit: I thought that I might clarify that my point isn't that Bioware has necessarily done a bad job with the setting (I personally didn't like ME2 at all, but it was a competent enough game I suppose), I just mean that this type of setting - one that has many different races, factions, conflicts, political dynamics, lore, etc. built in - has the potential to be used for a wide variety of deep experiences. After Bioware is finished with the trilogy, does anyone really see it being used for anything other than multi-player shooters? That's the point that I'm getting at when I say that the setting won't reach its full potential.

Last edited:
This is pretty funny, you do know that bioware made up the whole Mass Effect universe, so not only do they own the rights, they basically know everything about it…..sad that they created a cool universe like that.

Yes I know that they made it and I gave them credit for it and I know they own the rights but they could liscense the right to other developers to make Mass Effect games (unlikely as that is). My point is as Nevevarine says below that it's a great universe with huge potential but what Bioware is doing with it isn't exploring that potential. And that another developer (if they had the rights) might do a better job.

I like ME series... but that article is just too much of kiss-ass... and let's face it... Bioware is not that great anymore.

I like ME series… but that article is just too much of kiss-ass… and let's face it… Bioware is not that great anymore.

Whatever, they are one of the top developers out there for rpg's, pretty consistant too.

And human_male, who would they liscense it too? and why would they? It has always been an action based game idea and if you play the games they have a ton of lore in them, dialogue is really good and it's fun...yes it's not your average rpg in combat terms, but it is a nice change up at times.

human_male, who would they liscense it too? and why would they?

To work on other projects while still making royalties off the name perhaps? Similar to Bethesda licensing Fallout to Obsidian for New Vegas?

It has always been an action based game idea and if you play the games they have a ton of lore in them, dialogue is really good and it's fun…yes it's not your average rpg in combat terms, but it is a nice change up at times.

The universe and setting itself could be used for so much more than the linear shoot-em-up hallways of ME2 though, and that's why it would be nice to see someone more creative and ambitious take a shot at creating something deeper within the already stellar atmosphere.

I'm not sure you played mass effect 2, there were quite a few areas that were not linear as you put it...

I'm not sure you played mass effect 2, there were quite a few areas that were not linear as you put it…

Oh? Such as…

And again, that's not saying it's a bad game, because I don't think ME2 is a bad game. There's just certain elements that don't appeal to me, and linear levels are an example of something that affects not only my enjoyment of RPGs, but also shooters. Seeing as how ME is a hybrid of both, that is a problem for my personal tastes ;)

The universe and setting itself could be used for so much more than the linear shoot-em-up hallways of ME2 though, and that's why it would be nice to see someone more creative and ambitious take a shot at creating something deeper within the already stellar atmosphere.

I agree. Personally, I'd like to see much, much more in this game series other than shooting.

I agree. Personally, I'd like to see much, much more in this game series other than shooting.

Um, there is more then shooting…have you played the game? It's not just large maps of run and gun shooting throughout with some video between…it's a walk around rpg where combat features guns and uses a shooting style….you have dialogue choices and freedome to explore areas….

The article is embarrassing.
I like both Mass Effects quite a lot, btw.

Have you played any of these games?
You spend as much, if not more, time in dialogues as in combat.
And even combat isn´t pure shooting due to the inclusion of biotic and tech powers, which along with the fact you have 2 companions with you does add some depth to it, at least on higher difficulties.
Both games are pretty much story shooters with RPG elements, not pure shooters.

I didn't even read the article. I got everything I needed to know about it from Dhruin's comment about how they thought it was an "almost perfect" combination. Bleh…..

That said, I still enjoyed ME 1 & 2, but not because it was a good combination of RPGs and the mass market. That is just too funny.

Back
Top Bottom