Things you don't need to know...

Got this in my mail (from gamersgate) today:

Hejsan pibbur!
To celebrate the National Day of Sweden we're having a Swedish Developer Week on GamersGate. Grab the finest Swedish devs have to offer at up to 75% off!

"Hejsan" is gibber… eh swedish for "Hi there", or in the heroe's tongue: "Hei".

pibbur who has got a name and speaks to animals

Today's post is dedicated to interesting things about Australia.

pibbur who wonders if 16167 km is a safe distance.

The hero of epic poetry Musa Kesedžija, aka Musa the Robber, Musa the Outlaw, Musa the Highwayman or Musa the Exterminator, had one more heart than the doctor.

pibbur whose den seems to be larger on the inside than the outside

Last edited:
Wikipedia has a story about the Yorkshire captaincy affair of 1927, the title suggest a spy vs spy story obviously written by former spy John le Carre, but it's not, it's about cricket which they for some reason play in Yorkshire and a slight inconvenience involving the choice of a new captain back then, the Wikipedia article is detailed and exciting (or, depending on your view of the world, looong and, given the subject, booooring) and well worth (probably not) reading, I didn't bother reading it so I really can't tell for sure.

pibbur who wonders if he broke the one sentence length record of the watch by the above

The Centripetal Spring Armchair of 1849 (pictured), one of the first modern office chairs, was unsuccessful outside the US because it was considered immorally comfortable.

pibbur who unsuccessfully tried to find something to say about the spanish inquisition here

Ahh, what would we do without you.

pibbur who bought the new kitchen from Ikea. Without integrated tv.

My sister wanted to buy an item from Ikea yesterday, too.

When we were there, I wondered - as I always do - who comes up with these product names ?

Most notably was a clothes-hanger with the product name of "bumerang".

Another item was called (I've forgot what it was) "Godmorgon".

AFAIK most of the names are Swedish. "Godmorgon" is derived from "God morgon" which means "Good morning". Godmorgon seems to be furniture for your bathroom which you very likely enter in the morning. As such, the name seems related to function.

Some names derive from places in Sweden, I think.

pibbur who thinks JemyM and other swedes know much more about this, but that does not prevent him from writing.

Yes, Godmorgon already sounds like "Guten Morgen" in German language.

And yes, I think it was some kind of bathroom furniure.

Swedish names often sound funny in Grman ears, because they sound like … kind of distorted German words (being distorted by children ;)).

What a day! Wikipedia covers all of our 3 favourite things: Monmouth@Wales, cricket and Australia

• Steve Waugh (Steve among friends) was the first cricket player to score 150 runs in an innings against all Test-playing nations
  • The mineral Na2Mg38Al24(SO4)8(CO3)13(OH)108·56H2O (picture) is for some reason named for the island Motukorea.
  • The Druid's Head Inn, an old public house in Monmouth, Wales, now serves as the headquarters of the Monmouth Rugby Football Club. The amount of beer consumed is probably unchanged.

pibbur who admits that item 2 actually is about NZ, but who cares (?), they're both down under, the southern hemisphere is much smaller than the northern one and most of it is Antarctica, thus they're practically in the same neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Most notably was a clothes-hanger with the product name of "bumerang".

Boomerang
300px-Boomerang.jpg

Swedish names often sound funny in Grman ears, because they sound like … kind of distorted German words (being distorted by children ;)).

That's what Norwegian sounds to swedes, but Swedish have a lot of German words.

That's what Norwegian sounds to swedes, but Swedish have a lot of German words.

The main difference is of course that swedish doesn't just sound funny (and like gibberish), but ARE funny (and gibberish). :)

pibbur who knows 42 things about everything

What. Is. The Competitive Barbecue Circuit?????

????

pibbur who would ask Myron Mixon. If he was here. Which he isn't.

The circuit has a stop right here in the Bustling Metropolis a few months from now, actually. It's primarily a traveling fair with lots of food booths, but they try to give it some panache by holding taste tests. They arrange no-name regional performers to play concerts and hold a dance one night and have activities for the kids. They allow local people and local restaurants to compete as well. The food, about every kind of barbeque you can think of, is actually very good.

The mineral diaboleite (pictured) was so named out of desperation. I don't know which version, but given the desperation I suppose many of you, especially Drithius, will agree with me that it's probably ver. III.

pibbur who has enjoyed many diablo clones more than diablo itself and who therefore, for once, has let a CRPG (or CRPG wannabe? pretender?) slip beneath his game buying horizon

Today Wikipedia presents us with a full report of the merits of the League 2 football club York City F.C.. I feared that I had overlooked this piece of information, but it turns out that Wikipedia didn't bother to write about it before 15th of june. So, shame on them, not me.

Their racial enemy seems to be Rochdale A.F.C who they pwned 43 times, losing only 39 of their matches.

Another interesting fact is that Scunthorpe United who has been slightly more problemativc for them, previously was called Scunthorpe & Lindsey United.

pibbur who says Heia Brann

Back
Top Bottom