State of Decay - Year One Edition Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Undead Labs released a new edition of Dead State called the Year One Edition.

State of Decay, along with major Add-Ons Breakdown and Lifeline, is now fully remastered in stunning 1080p. New missions, weapons, and extra content, along with improved lighting, textures, animations and combat mechanics, will pull you even deeper into the post-outbreak world. How will you survive the zombie apocalypse?

New Missions

Mysterious supply crates start dropping into remote areas across the map, attracting massive hordes of zombies. Wipe out the infestation and you can grab some of the rarest and most powerful equipment seen in State of Decay.

New Survivors

Your favorite characters from Lifeline can now be unlocked in Breakdown, including the previously unplayable Kelly “Sasquatch” Eldridge.

New Vehicles

Not only do players get a brand-new SUV, but custom vehicle skins are also distributed across all maps for greater personalization.

New Weapons: Under-Barrel Grenade Launchers and Incendiary Shotguns
Find new assault rifles equipped with under-barrel grenade launcher attachments as well as shotguns that fire incendiary rounds.

Make your stand against the collapse of society in the ultimate zombie survival-fantasy game. Explore an open world full of dangers and opportunities that respond to your every decision. Recruit a community of playable survivors, each with their own unique skills and talents. Design and fortify your base against the relentless hordes of the undead. Perform daring raids for food and ammunition, and do whatever it takes to live another day.
More information.

Last edited:
This version gets a lot of flak from owners of the old version, because it adds nothing really new.
It's a good opportunity to buy the game, if you don't have it yet. Great zombie survival sandbox game.

Thanks for the warning HiddenX. :thumbsup:

I already own all three versions and I wasn't sure If I wanted to buy it again.

Lol, so they charge this as a new game to those that own the old one? Really?!

Lol, so they charge this as a new game to those that own the old one? Really?!

No, you get 33% off or whatever.

I bought this on a whim, which was a big mistake :) uninstalled it after 5 minutes.

It's not playable because there's just tons of flickering (from shadows) in the game. I googled the bug and found posts from 2013. It's possible to play it on the lowest settings though (it removes shadows completely + other graphical features, obviously). Too bad, really wanted to give this another shot, i doubt the shadow flickering will get fixed since its such an old bug, and it probably doesnt affect most people.

I enjoyed the first game but not sure if I just want updated graphics. Is a very fun sandbox game and I did not have any flickering that I remember.

No, you get 33% off or whatever.

I bought this on a whim, which was a big mistake :) uninstalled it after 5 minutes.

It's not playable because there's just tons of flickering (from shadows) in the game. I googled the bug and found posts from 2013. It's possible to play it on the lowest settings though (it removes shadows completely + other graphical features, obviously). Too bad, really wanted to give this another shot, i doubt the shadow flickering will get fixed since its such an old bug, and it probably doesnt affect most people.
Still not good enough. I was planning to buy SoD at some point but after I see these practices I don't want to give my money to this company.

I also see lots of people saying game has serious bugs in review sections or being mad for needing to pay more for almost nothing new.

The flak is mainly due to a few things: no future support for the old version (a slap in the face for the early adopters and the very people that made the game a success), a discount that doesn't worth mentioning and only for the people that have the base game and ALL the DLC's, not many changes to warrant the price, feels more like a bugfix and not as a real improvement. Many bugs from the old version are still present in the new one. The PR bull is insulting.

Still not good enough. I was planning to buy SoD at some point but after I see these practices I don't want to give my money to this company.

I also see lots of people saying game has serious bugs in review sections or being mad for needing to pay more for almost nothing new.

Well it comes with 2 expansions so i don't think the price is that bad compared to other "ultimate" or "goty" versions of games? It's clearly a slap to the face for people who bought the original game and the expansions though. Fans of the game needs to be treated better than that, obviously they should get the graphics update (which seems rather mediocre) for free.

I re-installed it and played around with the resolutions, 1080p got rid of the shadows flickering.. Will give it a try now.

Couch,

I think the right name would be State of Decay Year One Survival Edition (not Day One).

:)

So, it doesn't run natively above 1080? Is that a joke or something?

Couch,I think the right name would be State of Decay Year One Survival Edition.
I believe you are correct henriquejr and I need a pair of glasses.
smiley-reading-glasses.gif

The game seems very interesting but a technical mess (performance issues and graphical bugs).

It is probably the best (open-world) zombie survival game to date.

I can only imagine what they could do with a bigger budget (and better coders) because their ideas and most of the implementation is miles ahead of other open-world AAA games.

Last edited:
I may have to pick this one up as I don't have the un-remastered version. My next choice would have been Project Zomboid, but its perpetual Early Access status has me question whether or not it will ever get done.

I suppose there's always Dead State, but I don't like what I have read about it after release, nor do I care for the graphics.

It's a completely different game.
Dead Island is like a Melee-Zombie version of Borderlands and State of Decay is all about survival with recruting people and building a shelter and scavenging for supplies and the interactions between the survivors on your team which you can jump between (thematically it's like the TWD tv show imho).

This video explains the game rather well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaHyEjWupI
And here is a video about the old version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxe0CLBIPc

Last edited:
I somehow missed this game when it came out, and have heard nothing but good lately from friends. I'll wishlist this and wait for the $30 price to drop a bit further... Thanks for the tip.

It's a completely different game.
Dead Island is like a Melee-Zombie version of Borderlands and State of Decay is all about survival with recruting people and building a shelter and scavenging for supplies and the interactions between the survivors on your team which you can jump between (thematically like the TWD tv show imho).

This video explains the game rather well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzaHyEjWupI
And here is a video about the old version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxe0CLBIPc
YOu can say State of Decay is a well done version of Dead State without turn based combat.

I don't know about this latest version, but State of Decay is a really nice and immersive game, the best zombie survival game I've played actually, and it came as a very pleasant surprise out of the blue for me. It was very refreshing playing it, feeling the tension, panic, lack of resources, fellow survivors freaking out slowly (or not so slowly), getting killed, etc.

As Dennis14 says, it's miles ahead of other such games, in terms of ideas and also fun. I hope they've struck gold and are busy working on the next one with a much larger budget and scope.

I liked almost everything about this game except for one of its ideas I just couldn't get past. Ruined the game for me. I understand the game started development as some kind of MMO and the rule that time keeps marching while offline remained in the game even in its eventual and current single-player form. So, when you return to your saved game days later, there is a bunch of damage to your base, your NPCs are all pissed off and some might be dead, if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom