Skyrim - 20 Minutes of Footage

Ugh, why cant they show something NEW??
This is the same stuff they've been showing for months…

Ok, well the music and sounds seem new to me on these, anyway I cant wait!

I watched the first of the three videos. Have been purposefully looking away from info on Skyrim so as not to ruin the game. So it was new to me and I liked what I saw.

The people that are following Skyrim closely just have to remember that not everyone is stalking Bethesda for every little piece of new info as it comes out.

Well just watched the first video, and that was enough...I hate spoiling myself for the actual game:p Looked great, to me at least.

Spoiling a Bethesda game is far from serious business.

Anyways:

STILL NO SHADOWS!!! (aren't they effective?)
graphics look like crap to me (is this because it's the console version? I highly doubt the PC version will have more grass or will have shadows or will have more detailed leaves and higher quality bump maps)
GRILLED SALMON!!! (no, seriously, out of all items to showcase item design)
no blocking with swords that I can see.

Spoiling a Bethesda game is far from serious business.

Anyways:

graphics look like crap to me (is this because it's the console version? I highly doubt the PC version will have more grass or will have shadows or will have more detailed leaves and higher quality bump maps)
GRILLED SALMON!!! (no, seriously, out of all items to showcase item design)

Is it just me or is Bethesda held to a way higher standard then any other rpg maker out there? I mean seriously....now we even have to complain about salmon?

I have not been complaining about the the game at all…but I do have to agree the graphics don't look that great. I really hope the PC game looks better than that for all the hype around it. Have they released specs on it yet??? Last time I was at can you run it it wasn't there.
***side note the 20mins of KoA last week looked a hell of alot more polished for a game coming out after this.****

Beginning made me nauseous. Is it just me?

I don't understand the criticism about the graphics. From what I've seen so far, I think the visuals are exceptional for a large open-world crpg.

I don't understand the criticism about the graphics. From what I've seen so far, I think the visuals are exceptional for a large open-world crpg.

You didn't know graphics are everything in this gaming era. God help you if your game has dated visuals.

Especially since all they've ever shown thus far is the 360 ver. ~ 6yr old DX9 tech, and it still looks pretty dern good.

CelticFrost said:
I really hope the PC game looks better than that for all the hype around it.

I forget which interview, but Todd has said that the PC version looks far better, and has a slew of additional options for those with an high-end enthusiasts PC! {me…smirk}

And besides, the modding community are known for making all of Bethesda's games better looking, and more content rich rather quickly. Then 2-3 years later come the total conversion mods, and you get to play a brand new adventure, thats just as good if not better than the originals. I wonder if anyone is planning on a complete Morrowind remake with the Skyrim engine, that would be awesome!

Game looks decent, but in post-Witcher 2 world it is hard to be impressed.

It looks more than good enough to me.

You didn't know graphics are everything in this gaming era. God help you if your game has dated visuals.

Same here. I just don't understand why some people do expect shooter-high graphics standards from RPGs.

If THESE graphics look like "utter crap", how are graphics from Indies considered, then ?

Are they dismissed altogether because they look like ... "crap", too ?

Game looks decent, but in post-Witcher 2 world it is hard to be impressed.

Sorry, but I've found these Skyrim videos much more immersive than The Witcher 2's sometimes clumsy graphics. Animation in Skyrim seems especially improved over Oblivion. I'm sure the PC version will have better graphics, as was the case for Oblivion (especially after tweaks).

If THESE graphics look like "utter crap", how are graphics from Indies considered, then ?

Are they dismissed altogether because they look like … "crap", too ?

Yes. I can't really get into the indie's mostly because of the graphics.

Is this something one gets used to ?

I've been playing the Realms Of Arcania Trilogy for quite a long time - I'm just used to pixelated graphics.

There are - I must admit - games I don't get immersed by because of the graphics (tried Dink Smallwood HD a few days ago), but on the other hand there are games which are just fun no matter which graphics they have, because they really shine on other fields (like Frayed Knights, or example - judging from the "Pilot").

I assume this "graphics thing" is a thing one simply gets used to.
I learned driving in a BMW. Dream car, great to work with. Having to drive a much older and much less good car of my parents after that, it was like going back in history - or from a luxury flat into a farmer's house.

But I can still do both. And I have learned that indeed sometimes "less is more", because I have learned that I can cherish few things I have as well - for example regarding meals. Backed potatos with fried eggs and I'm in heaven. It is a little bit like the critic's response in that disney movie, "Ratatouille".

Sorry, but I've found these Skyrim videos much more immersive than The Witcher 2's sometimes clumsy graphics.

The witcher 2 had its moments - times where the graphics and area design really worked to create an impressive sense of place that I have not seen matched in any sandbox style RPGs. That's one of the advantages of more path based exploration - the ability to anticipate common perspectives and enhance the scene for maximum impact. It was damned uneven though and I did get the distinct feeling that the care taken with some areas was not at all applied to others (the mines and tunnels). But yeah I guess that's what you meant by "sometimes" right?

Speaking of games that have their moments though, I finally got around to playing Risen. I definitely agree with their decision to go with a more nautical/pirate theme; they have some people on their art team that are clearly in love with the sea.

Animation in Skyrim seems especially improved over Oblivion. I'm sure the PC version will have better graphics, as was the case for Oblivion (especially after tweaks).

Yeah - they have at the very least made quite a serious attempt to address the most serious visual flaws of their previous Elder Scrolls title. The way the engine handles LOD does seem promising - as that should be one of the most straight forward elements to scale on superior hardware.

I am very much looking forward to playing around with the mod tools getting to play with the engine a bit. Way way back when I first saw how much the inventory system let you zoom in and view the details on objects someone mentioned that they wished they would actually do something with it in terms of pursuing clues for a quest. I thought I was being clever when I suggested I'd do that with a murder-detective quest plug in I'd like to make. Although it does seem Bethesda sort of beat me to it since video 2/3 shows an instance where examining an item like that reveals the combination to a locked door.

And I have learned that indeed sometimes "less is more",

So have many game developers - even developers of newer AAA titles. That's why cartoonish and stylized but technically simpler graphics persist in many large game projects. You can get across a setting and atmosphere just fine to a point without resorting to far more expensive high-detail textures and terrain.

They're not going to be as immersive because they'll always look distinctly and intentionally fake, but they don't run the risk of falling into the uncanny. It doesn't hurt that they save time, money, and (if done intelligently) don't tax the hardware quite as much. Also some people prefer the more cartoonish visuals and color pallets; they're not my ideal and sometimes they are done in a way that feels like a desperate attempt to resemble WoW but that's probably just a personal preference issue.

the graphics don't look that great…

***side note the 20mins of KoA last week looked a hell of alot more polished for a game coming out after this.****

Alright then.

Last edited:
Not sure where you were looking, but I saw shadows in a few places, they seems to be popping in some cases as well (i.e. the draw distance for them is really short).

You can only block with two-handed swords, shields and staff (and I'm not sure for the staff).

Back
Top Bottom