Divinity Divine divinity

Divine Divinity and Other games
What I liked very much of this game is that it contains many names of forum members. :)

Plus, you'll get to know kind of a poem of mine ... ;)
(Which can be "used" to do "different" things meanwhile ... ;) )

What I liked very much of this game is that it contains many names of forum members. :)

Plus, you'll get to know kind of a poem of mine ... ;)
(Which can be "used" to do "different" things meanwhile ... ;) )

Yeah, I got a huge thrill seeing Rendelius, Myrthos, Moriendor, Arhu, Bronthion and others in game. Lots of fun.

The first dungeon was quite big and boring, but now, after I came back to Aleroth, now... the game is great. I can't stop playing it.

I'm going to re-emphasise what has already been emphasised - push past that first dungeon. It's ridiculously long (looooooooong) and will give you a false impression of the gameplay. You'll think you are playing some barely adequate Diablo clone and then it suddenly shifts to Ultima VII with dialogue trees and a sense of humour.
Really?! I remember playing the demo (quite some time ago) and liking the early beginning parts of the game, then going to the first dungeon (under the statue/fountain/whatever it was, can't remember anymore) and running out of steam by the fourth or fifth level down, when conforted by yet another batch of undead to kill, kill, kill. I was thoroughly fed up with the game and didn't even consider buying it and playing it more (as I don't like hack n' slash).

My loss it seems... but what a poor demo/start for a game that (if what you say is true) is more like Ultima VII than Diablo. The first dungeon gave me a completely wrong impression of the game and destroyed my interest in the game (and, IIRC, you are forced to go there before you can get out of the town you start the game in). Oh well, maybe I'll get "DivDiv" from some bargain bin and give it another try - I just loathe the idea of going through the starter dungeon again.

One other consolation - by the end of that dungeon you have gained enough experience and skills to be a pretty decent wrecking machine ;)

Damn you all!! Now I've fired it up again... as if I need more distractions... ;)

This game sure stands the test of time better than most. Some great design...

As a community service to the DivDiv community, some brave soul should take one of each class, play through the "starter" dungeon using as little skill and attribute points as possible, and then post the save game after they complete the dungeon so that folks can just dl that.

Luckily I saved my last batch of savegames and was able to start at the point where I just entered the catacombs. Im slogging my way through it now once again. I know Ive gotten past this point before, and quit playing just as the second "town" I guess you can call it (some new area to enter to the northeast of Aleroth) opened up. Im going to try to keep the game going for awhile this time

The hack'n'slash combat is an integral part of the game so if you absolutely hate that aspect, you'll struggle. Personally, I quite enjoyed it (not a big H&S fan but I found this better than Diablo) with lots of different ways to approach the combat - melee, ranged, decent magic and I really liked using alchemy to make poison and apply it to weapons. They do get carried away with some other huge-ass dungeons but I think on balance it's still a great game.

Once you leave Aleroth, you are free to go (almost) anywhere.

I think that huge first dungeon was primarily to create a fairly long demo of the game. Perhaps it backfired a little. Still, I enjoyed it enough to Buy BD!!

The hack'n'slash combat is an integral part of the game so if you absolutely hate that aspect, you'll struggle. Personally, I quite enjoyed it (not a big H&S fan but I found this better than Diablo) with lots of different ways to approach the combat - melee, ranged, decent magic and I really liked using alchemy to make poison and apply it to weapons. They do get carried away with some other huge-ass dungeons but I think on balance it's still a great game.

Once you leave Aleroth, you are free to go (almost) anywhere.

I think thats why I want to play this so much again. Once in awhile I like a good action, hack 'n' slash game. Recently I was in the mood for some mindless (more or less) hack 'n' slash play, and reinstalled Diablo II. That same night I re-uninstalled Diablo II. There is something about the game that I just hate, and I absolutely loved Diablo I.

Im still getting through Gothic II, but for a different kind of CRPG experience, Ive been play DD. Im down to the bottom of the catacombs now, and will try to give the game enough time to at least explore some of what I hear is a "huge" world.

I played primarily a mage, with a few handy warrior skills thrown in for those times when only a sword will do!! :)

I played primarily a mage, with a few handy warrior skills thrown in for those times when only a sword will do!! :)

Same here - classic 'battlemage', with a smattering of skills from other classes.

I think that huge first dungeon was primarily to create a fairly long demo of the game. Perhaps it backfired a little. Still, I enjoyed it enough to Buy BD!!

Are you still talking about Divinity or about Beyond Divinity ?

About Divinity: I'd agree, but cut the term " a little".

I know many reports from people who especially didn't like the first dungeon within Divinity.

Survivor also, ranger and theif build with some spells and poison thrown in.

Has everybody here finished the game? I put about 80 hours into it (up to Zix Zax the Almost Wise--Part V-?)-and there was still a staggering amount of gamage left.

IMO the first dungeon was quite fun, if a bit over-long, and a good leveling tool, but then I like that arpg hack-n-slash stuff. :) There's a lot of similar areas in the game, but you are pretty wound up in the plot by then, so they go by faster.

Survivor of the Assassin variety. Sneak and backstab with poison, Hell Spikes and bow to augment where necessary. And, being weak to "cool skill" temptation, too many onesie and twosies spent all over the place... :blush:

Has everybody here finished the game?

Of course not. :-/ But I will some day, dammit!!

IMO the first dungeon was quite fun, if a bit over-long, and a good leveling tool, but then I like that arpg hack-n-slash stuff.

I think build probably has a lot to do with it too. Mine was not well suited/weak so it was a long slog of "plink, plink... RUN!!!"

I think my second run through (cha... right...) will be more of the battlemage type for power-bashing fun.

Back
Top Bottom