Elminage Gothic - 70% Off at Steam

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Bargain at that price, got it!

Anyway the dev have Fluent to thank for my purchase since without him going on about it in this site I would never have bought it :)

Bargain at that price, got it!

Anyway the dev have Fluent to thank for my purchase since without him going on about it in this site I would never have bought it :)

Same here, though I loved Wizardry (only played 6-8), so was tempted even before the review. Had this wishlisted after :)

Glad you guys are going to check it out! :party:

I *love* the game. As I said, I have been installing pretty much one game per day these past few weeks, but the game that keeps making me want to play it is Elminage Gothic. It just has an atmosphere and vibe about it that makes me want to keep playing and exploring every dungeon!

Ghostlight deserves a lot of credit for bringing it to the U.S. I hope we see more games like this one going forward. :)

P.S. I think EG is more in the vein of Wizardry I-III, although I haven't played the Wizardry games myself to really verify that.

...for 3 bucks pretty much had to buy it. That and anything wizardry is usually good stuff.

The big problem is the absolutely terrible interface, considering this is a PSP port. It almost ruins the entire experience.

The big problem is the absolutely terrible interface, considering this is a PSP port. It almost ruins the entire experience.

I agree... I've been playing the game for a short time, but the interface really takes some getting used to. For instance: examining a treasure-chest for traps and then actually disarming them is counter-intuitive. First, you select a person that can detect, then you need to *exit* the detection-dialog, in order to select a person that can disarm or open it. All the while, the interface leads you to believe you can choose all options, all the time. (without having to exit).

Still, the rest of the game looks quite nice, so far. It reminds me of games I played during my 'MSX'-days.

The interface isn't terrible by any means, it just takes some getting used to.

You will be flying through those screens in no time after a little learning curve. :cool:

Yeah, I dunno. I gave up. The UI is just not something I'm willing to suffer for what is not that remarkable of a game, even if games of this style are not done nearly enough. Way too much menu navigation for every simple little action, way to clunky overall.

If you haven't played Heroes of a Broken Land, get that instead - it's a similar and vastly superior gaming experience.

Yeah, I dunno. I gave up. The UI is just not something I'm willing to suffer for what is not that remarkable of a game, even if games of this style are not done nearly enough. Way too much menu navigation for every simple little action, way to clunky overall.

If you haven't played Heroes of a Broken Land, get that instead - it's a similar and vastly superior gaming experience.

Disagree.

The menu is clunky for perhaps the first 10 minutes of the game when you are clueless and don't know how to navigate it. After an hour of getting your bearings it is efficient and works fine.

I think you guys are maybe playing for a few minutes and just giving up immediately, which is sad.

The game is a tough nut to crack but when it opens up it is a beautiful nut. :nod:

Disagree.

The menu is clunky for perhaps the first 10 minutes of the game when you are clueless and don't know how to navigate it. After an hour of getting your bearings it is efficient and works fine.

I think you guys are maybe playing for a few minutes and just giving up immediately, which is sad.

The game is a tough nut to crack but when it opens up it is a beautiful nut. :nod:

I have to agree with Fluent on this. After 10 min or so the UI is fine. I have put up with much worse (CTD) to play games which are far inferior to this!

Has anyone tried a controller with this, or is it just bad UI design regardless of input device?

I've been meaning to pick this up but I always forget once I get home. Should leave myself a reminder on my phone....

The UI is definitely old-school, and I can understand why it would annoy some people. I gave Eminage a try after playing Might and Magic X recently, and it felt ancient by comparison.

There's too much menu navigating during combat, and the little "ding" sound it makes every single time you click something gets old real fast. It would have benefitted greatly from having a hotkey bar.

I haven't noticed any unnecessary menu navigating during combat. o_O

And you can change the 'ding' sound in the options menu.

I have this party:

Dwarf Brawler
Human Fighter
Gnome Cleric
Human Thief
Elf Mage
Human Alchemist

and there really isn't much menu navigating at all, at least not more than I would expect in any turn-based RPG.

The big, super-appreciated-by-me convenience feature of Elminage Gothic is that the cursor will remember your last move and also stay on your last selection. So, if you want to repeat the exact move for your fighters as you did in the last round, your cursor is automatically on that option.

Of course, I believe you could also simply press '1', or perhaps '2', to execute a repeat round, but for doing things like transferring potions or quickly giving battle commands to a fighter while keeping the other commands from the other fighters the same, that little feature goes a long way.

Disagree.

I disagree!!!

People aren't clueless here when it comes to games and are very able to not like a game you like.

For the first 10 minutes to an hour of Elminage Gothic, you are absolutely clueless. I was, and others will be, too.

It's about sticking with the game, learning it, and moving forward.

forgottenlor Said it much more eloquently in his review than I could. Go read that if you'd like.

But I get the feeling people play the game, experience something different and are immediately frustrated, thus giving up. I've seen the same reaction on other forums as well.

Stick with it and it gets better. I promise. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom