Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Depends on the Game

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • I Listen to My Own Music

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Not Important at All

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
Ah, yes, forgot to add the Might and Magic 7 soundtrack. That was so fitted for a fantasy RPG, dammit.

I'd say that the music in games is quite important.
It helps to set the mood in various situations. Helps immersion into a certain game.
Of course it depends from one soundtrack to another. Some are really great, some good and some are almost irrelevant so then I can listen my own playlist.

So, it is mixed.
But good music can only uplift the game and make it more enjoyable that is for sure.

Even though I turn the music down to about 60%, it is very important to gaming now. It just adds to the atmosphere and when done right actually changes your mood while playing. Battle Music !!

I appreciate a good music score as I am quite sensitive to the moods that they can create.

In my case, a good score can definitely enhance my enjoyment of a game but the opposite, though more rare, can also occur. Divine Divinity is a game whose soundtrack is generally praised but somehow I disliked it a lot. I think that it has partially to do with the instrumentation as it came across as "cheap instrumental synth".

For the new D:OS, I had higher hopes and gave the composer the benefit of the doubt but old tracks were apparently used due to him getting ill. And I simply couldn't stand some of the tracks….for some reason I really couldn't and I had to turn the music off. This is the first time that such a thing happened to me.

Although admittedly, some tracks, probably the new ones, were pleasant but I got tired of turning up/down the volume everytime I changed area so I decided to permanently sacrifice the score :).

But I am not the only one as I happended to have seen someone in a forum saying that he also had to turn off the music in order to "maintain his sanity"….those words were my feelings exactly. I guess I am not alone so I am not a special snowflake at all ;).

I appreciate a good music score as I am quite sensitive to the moods that they can create.

In my case, a good score can definitely enhance my enjoyment of a game but the opposite, though more rare, can also occur. Divine Divinity is a game whose soundtrack is generally praised but somehow I disliked it a lot. I think that it has partially to do with the instrumentation as it came across as "cheap instrumental synth".

For the new D:OS, I had higher hopes and gave the composer the benefit of the doubt but old tracks were apparently used due to him getting ill. And I simply couldn't stand some of the tracks….for some reason I really couldn't and I had to turn the music off. This is the first time that such a thing happened to me.

Although admittedly, some tracks, probably the new ones, were pleasant but I got tired of turning up/down the volume everytime I changed area so I decided to permanently sacrifice the score :).

But I am not the only one as I happended to have seen someone in a forum saying that he also had to turn off the music in order to "maintain his sanity"….those words were my feelings exactly. I guess I am not alone so I am not a special snowflake at all ;).

I totally agree with you about the Divine Divinity soundtrack. Aside from one or two tracks, I did not like that soundtrack at all.

Whatever game or games I currently playing, I usually listen to the soundtrack at work. (Currently listening to Pillar and MMX soundtracks.) I remember a few years ago when I was playing Divine Divinity, I was listening to the soundtrack at work when the 'Dum diggy diggy diggy Dum' track came on. (Anyone remember that one?) My non-gamer coworker gave me a strange look and said "WTF are you listening to?!?!?!" Since then I've become known as the guy at work with weird music tastes.

Back
Top Bottom