Fallout 3 - Teaser Teaser at Official Site

For some reason this reminds the countdown Blizzard's BattleNet site had year or two ago. Timer hit zero and what was the surprise? A new site design! Lol, biggest dissapointment ever.

Guess we'll see in June if this one is something similar. :p

I have also posted this elsewhere:

The music is just plain wrong. I know that it's not the end of the world, but it's basically just "Jeremy Soule Generic Fantasy Track #289". Mark Morgan's haunting techno music was a big part of the desperate and dark atmosphere of the Fallout games and the music on the teaser website falls really flat and totally fails to capture that same feel. For people harboring doubts about Bethesda's ability to grasp the nuances of the Fallout games, this is not encouraging.

Yeah, I know, it's only just one track on one teaser website and not the game.

it's only just one track on one teaser website and not the game.

That is why I'm just marking the calendar and not over-analyzing. Heck, remember the first Dungeon Lords trailer? It looked really good, showed loads of character customization and featured a really cool song? Well, we all know how *that* turned out ...

I have to agree on the music. I kept expecting to hear someone saying" Open the pod bay doors, Hal.." And why does the landscape look like it's on another planet? You could put one of those curved insect-house looking things from Morrowind in there and it would look right at home.

But, as Mike says, there's no point in building any big edifice of speculation/predictions around a picture and some funky soundtrack. The game is the thing, and it's still a long way away.

I like the concept art (what little you can tell from it) but that music is completely wrong. Where's the '50s retro scifi feel?

The concept art isn't too shabby but reminds me more of the large open spaces of the Elder Scrolls than the decaying locales of Fallout. The whole deal seems rather generic, unfortunately.

Yeah, man. And what the hell is up with the copyright disclaimers??? They completely ruin the immershun!!!

:biggrin:

I like the art. But the music just screams "In a fantasy land far, far away there's a great struggle against Evil and YOU, a lowly peasant will RISE to defeat it against all odds!".

Hey, that sounds like a game I might have played before!! :biggrin:

I agree. The music (while interesting) is not and should not be in a Fallout game. Apparently no one at Bethesda knows anything about ambient/atmospheric music. Tim (I believe) was a big fan of that kind of music, and put it in Fallout. Which worked perfect.

Strike 1 so far. :/

Add me to the list of those who fear BethSoft is going to completely miss the boat on the Fallout atmosphere... that music (while of a high quality) is NOT Fallout.

I don't hear fantasy. It's just a 19th century orchestra playing a 20th century tune, or Yet Another Orchestral Soundtrack. If that's Soule, then tonally it's the most adventurous thing he's ever done... except for that theme. That is one well-worn groove right there. God I hope it's not "the Fallout theme".

not gettn excited about the parking spot at this point.
The music may have literally nothing to do with the actual game, so I reserve judgement and just say that it's a pleasant little classical ditty

You'd be foolish to get too carried away over one piece of music. That said, Pete Hines did tell us it was the "title track"...I guess that could mean anything but it doesn't communicate "Fallout".

Nice track for Elder Scrolls V, though. ;)

I don't think the music is fantasy. It reeks of apocalyptic moods&ambience, especially near the end, when the violins? or horns? sound rather ominous.
You feel the need to get out, since 'something wicked this way comes'.

Some, on the Bethesda forums, have called the music epic. I can understand why, but to me the music also has some distinct tones (or influence?) from both cowboy movies and the Superman & Star Wars movies.

Well, to start with neither I believe the musical score fits Fallout or a Elder Scrolls game.
It reminded me rather of a score to a WW2 game, which it would fit quite okay. But the theme has filmic scope, which the theme to The Elder Scrolls IV also had, but it wasn't a very concrete piece of music and neither is this one. Just suspense.
I've never liked the Oblivion theme but the rest of the music in Oblivion was fantastic and the only thing worth applauding, so taking that into consideration I wouldn't use the music on the teaser page as a stereotype of what the music will be in Fallout.

Oh, and the concept art on the teaser page is really epic and beautiful, but if it's Fallout i don't know. But it is something that we haven't seen from Bethesda before, so perhaps that is something positive.

The music is about as appropriate for Fallout as a bombastic John Williams score would be for The Sopranos. Jeremy Soule's music is good but also generic. I think that it's a forgone conclusion that the gameplay from the previous Fallouts will not be intact, and now it looks like the musical style won't be either.

Where's Satchmo?!?

You can't have a Fallout game without The Armstrong singing "A kiss to build a dream on" or The Ink Spots performing "Maybe" (oh alright, I had to google that last one). :shy:

Back
Top Bottom