Rage

Actually, it's based on a shitload of complaints on the official Steam forums.

How long have those complaints been there? Afaik, it gets released today here in the US, and we're the first ones to get it.

I suppose people who preloaded could have spent a few hours with it by now..

*Edit* Most of the complaints on the Steam forum seem to be from the same dozen or so people, which is usually the case whenever a new game gets released. The people who aren't having issues are too busy enjoying the game to post about it.

I did see some screenshots of some really ugly low-res textures though. This doesn't surprise me because John Carmack had mentioned they had to majorly compress some textures to get the external build to fit into 25GB. He's stated that they would most likely be releasing a higher resolution texture pack for the PC version.

Last edited:
How long have those complaints been there? Afaik, it gets released today here in the US, and we're the first ones to get it.

I suppose people who preloaded could have spent a few hours with it by now..

If you want to tell yourself that it's because of a pirated version, then that's your business. AFAIK there's no pirated version out - though I could be wrong.

Personally, I have no interest in mindless shooters from id - but I know it's the kind of game people would buy sight unseen based on id's rep.

I just wanted to give people fair warning.

I'm not a big fan of the 9.5 review assault usually associated with the utter corruption in the media, and I like to offer up alternative views when they're so readily available.

Thankfully, there are official reviews out that are less extreme in their praise.

Did you bother to read my entire post before responding?

I responded to what I quoted, not your edit.

I have a hard time seeing what you were implying by "how long have the complaints been there" if not that it was about a pirated version.

What did you mean then?

Regardless, I understand that you want the game to be great - and I hope it is, despite these responses.

To me, it sounds like the technical issues are more like bugs - and the actual problem is the dreadfully stale gameplay. But then, I was never a fan of this kind of game.

Obviously, Carmack has become an "iDevice" fan with focus on money and consoles, but I really can't see them going along with that kind of massive texture pop-in issue for the PC.

I have a hard time seeing what you were implying by "how long have the complaints been there" if not that it was about a pirated version.

What did you mean then?

Should be obvious. I (wrongly) assumed at first that it was a pirated version.

Regardless, I understand that you want the game to be great - and I hope it is, despite these responses.

To me, it sounds like the technical issues are more like bugs - and the actual problem is the dreadfully stale gameplay. But then, I was never a fan of this kind of game.

I think you overestimate my excitement about this game. Yes, I'm looking forward to trying it, but it was never a make or break deal for me.

I do have to admit to being puzzled that you would have so much faith in the opinion of a select few. The people with issues are always the loudest when a game is released, for obvious reasons..

From what I read from the reviews, Rage isn't so open world as you may understood: there are levels, even if they aren't as linear as other FPS.
Personally, I think that it's much more like Bioshock than Stalker or Borderlands, which isn't bad of course ;) but again, this is my idea from what I read, I haven't tried it yet…

Weren't (mega)textures one of the major features of Rage's technology? The last thing I would expect people to complain about is textures.

Should be obvious. I (wrongly) assumed at first that it was a pirated version.

That was my point.

I think you overestimate my excitement about this game. Yes, I'm looking forward to trying it, but it was never a make or break deal for me.

Good :)

I do have to admit to being puzzled that you would have so much faith in the opinion of a select few. The people with issues are always the loudest when a game is released, for obvious reasons..

What do you mean by faith? I'm putting forth what people are saying, both on Qt3 and on Steam forums. I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but it's certainly cause for concern if you're close to buying it.

It seems to me that it's the VAST majority of people with their hands on the game - but if you see it as a "select few" then we just differ on that. In my experience, there are always people willing to defend even the worst turd - and in this case, even they seem to be almost non-existant.

As I said, I'm hoping for the people interested that they're wrong, as I take no pleasure in people being disappointed.

I'm surprised you can't appreciate that I'm actually trying to do people a favor, and that includes you.

RAGE is fast food, the kind of fast food that looks much more satisfying on the menu than it does once served. It's tasty, for sure, but you'll be starving almost as soon as you've finished. By no means is RAGE not worth your time -- it looks stunning, the combat on both wheels and foot is fun, and there's a tremendous sense of atmosphere that deserves to be experienced. However, RAGE's quality only makes its lack of ambition more painful in the long run, as it could easily have been better than it is. It's a good game, most definitely, and one that id fans will enjoy ... just don't expect it to do half of what it looks like it can do.

Final Verdict: 07/10

Good: 7s are solid games that definitely have an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

A quote from a reviewer I trust more than the 9.0 review given to all AAA games lately. Cant say I'm disappointed as its what I excepted.

A quote from a reviewer I trust more than the 9.0 review given to all AAA games lately. Cant say I'm disappointed as its what I excepted.

Yup.

The 9+ reviews is exactly the reason I found it VERY appropriate to make alternate opinions known.

Some people, myself included, can get so excited about an upcoming game - that they'll jump on it as soon as the initial response is very favorable. Now, I rarely do that these days - but I certainly don't like the idea that the incompetent and corrupt media gets to manipulate people into paying for what might be non-functional shit.

It seems to me that it's the VAST majority of people with their hands on the game - but if you see it as a "select few" then we just differ on that. In my experience, there are always people willing to defend even the worst turd - and in this case, even they seem to be almost non-existant.

Interesting… So you believe that the "VAST majority" of people who have RAGE are on the Steam forums complaining about it.

Ok. :)

Interesting.

So you believe that the "vast majority" of people who have RAGE are on the Steam forums complaining about it.

Ok. :)

No, I'm sure you're right JDR.

The people on those forums are exclusively the select few haters who like to ruin everything by almost unanimously mentioning the same major issues with the game.

They're also probably imagining everything, right?

Ok :)

Don't let common sense get in the way here.

I think it's safe to assume that a game as high-profile as RAGE was pre-loaded by thousands.

There are a few dozen (at the most) people complaining about it on the forums. In other words, pretty much the same as any other newly released title.

No, the people playing are not pre-loaders - they're pirates, remember?

The 9 out of 10 people bitching about the issues everywhere are clearly the only people in the entire world with them. Every single other person is playing the game and enjoying it with zero technical issues.

JDR common sense = quality ;)

Its the assumed assumption that only the vocal minority bitch the loudest.;)

In all seriousness the games I was looking forward to this year have disappointed me. I'm not saying there terrible games just that they didn't deliver on the hype and what was promised.

I was actually expecting Rage to be technically impressive.

That said, I still think this is some kind of bug. There's no way Carmack and crew can be THAT incompetent.

But it's not exactly an impressive beginning :)

No, the people playing are not pre-loaders - they're pirates, remember?

Well I guess when you have no real reply...

The 9 out of 10 people bitching about the issues everywhere are clearly the only people in the entire world with them. Every single other person is playing the game and enjoying it with zero technical issues.

Because the people who are not having issues are really going to be on a message board right now?

I expect you'll reply Ad nauseum, as you usually do, so please feel free to have the last word. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that :)

I think I'm done with this for now, though. At least you started out getting the message - and that means I've served my purpose as far as you're concerned. The pedantic and pointless bickering is just par for the course when you can't admit your initial mistake.

Not to worry ;)

Oh, except for this small detail:

Because the people who are not having issues are really going to be on a message board right now?

Have you ever visited a Bioware board, by any chance?

Haha, we can agree that forums are about the minority - but they're quite statistically useful when you don't visit biased ones.

If someone is a fanboy, they'll be there to correct the haters even if the haters are right. You should know that by now :)

Its the assumed assumption that only the vocal minority bitch the loudest.;)

It's the fact that people who are having issues with a game obviously have a much greater incentive to stop playing and log on to a message board to post about it.

It amazes me that some people would fail to understand that.

It's the fact that people who are having issues with a game obviously have a much greater incentive to stop playing and log on to a message board to post about it.

It amazes me that some people would fail to understand that.

That's a nice theory from back in the day when visiting forums was an "exclusive" activity.

These days, though, people are on forums like they used to scratch their balls.

People play for an hour and they storm to tell everyone about their experiences. People jump to be the first with "first impressions" - and you can see that everywhere.

It's not like they're all isolated without internet - playing the game exhaustively until they're done.

While we can agree that there's a natural tendency to bitching being the loudest, it doesn't really take much experience to "sense" when the bitching is about something REAL - and not imaginary.

Not if you're capable of being unbiased for a second, at least.

Back
Top Bottom