Skyrim - Dawnguard Previews @ GameInformer, Eurogamer

"Pay through the nose"? OK.

:D
Exaggerate

1. To represent as greater than is actually the case; overstate: exaggerate the size of the enemy force; exaggerated his own role in the episode.
2. To enlarge or increase to an abnormal degree: thick lenses that exaggerated the size of her eyes.

Paying through the nose, in my exaggeration, compares the $60/300 of original Skyrim to the speculated $20/20 hours of Dawnguard. $1/5 hours vs. $1/1 hour of DLC.

I love Bethesda games, but their DLC has been mostly stuff I don't mind skipping. Eventually the stuff comes down enough to be reasonable to my wallet and I get it then.

Paying through the nose, in my exaggeration, compares the $60/300 of original Skyrim to the speculated $20/20 hours of Dawnguard. $1/5 hours vs. $1/1 hour of DLC.

Is that even close to a valid comparison? You could say that because the new things carry over to Skyrim proper, Skyrim is $60 for the first however many hours before you can enjoy Dawnguard content, then the extra stuff stays with you for the remaining 300 ;)

No, comparing $/hour of a base game and then an expansion/DLC to it isn't right.

But I know you were exaggerating ;)

I'm just not into the whole "Twilight" movement. I don't need more vampires and/or werewolves.

With respect, you don't need to be a Twilight fan to be into the Vampirical or Werewolvian side of things. God forbid that generation to actually read some of the very early gothic literature and discover that vampirism and lycanthropy already existed beforehand and in much more interesting forms.

Anti-Twilight jabs aside, I must say that I thought Skyrim's vampires were a bit of a pale undead joke compared to those in Morrowind and Oblivion. (I mean curing Vampirism with a simple cure disease potion....really?)
This is probably one reason they could use some extra expansive beefage as we're seemingly seeing in Dawnguard.

As for the werewolves, I'm with Booboo - I didn't like the Companion quest requirement at all and ignored the rest of that questline as much as I could until I realised there weren't really any more faction quests left for Barbarian/Fighter types. And so albeit unwillingly, I returned to it, suffering a very irritating bug in the process. (The Gladril Witch head wouldn't work for my character….)

Also, the werewolf concepts were explored far more interestingly in Bloodmoon as far as I'm concerned.

I'm happy to say after looking at the video posted in another thread, that the main quest of Dawnguard is 10-20 hours but that with doing side quests the content balloons out to about 40 hours. That makes a $20 purchase price more reasonable. I'm still not going to play a vampire, it's just not my thing. However, since all previous Skyrim vampires get a makeover too, it's going to make vampire lairs a whole lot more interesting. It might actually be a challenge now to clear one out. I'm now mildly geeked to return to Skyrim once this comes out :)

I'm happy to say after looking at the video posted in another thread, that the main quest of Dawnguard is 10-20 hours but that with doing side quests the content balloons out to about 40 hours. That makes a $20 purchase price more reasonable. I'm still not going to play a vampire, it's just not my thing. However, since all previous Skyrim vampires get a makeover too, it's going to make vampire lairs a whole lot more interesting. It might actually be a challenge now to clear one out. I'm now mildly geeked to return to Skyrim once this comes out :)

wow, 40 hours of new content? good lord! This is much bigger than Point Lookout.

if you consider a regular playthrough lasts around 100-200 hours, and with the two new factions we have incentive to try at least two more complete playthroughs, so for me Dawnguard is providing something along the lines of 400-500 hours of additional entertainment.

wow, 40 hours of new content?

You know Elder Scrolls "hours of content" is something quite flexible. I expect some people to "finish" Dawnguard in less than 5 yours and complain about it...

I have put more than 80 hours in Skyrim and I haven't finish any Guild/Faction/Main quests lines or brought any character past level 25.

I keep making new ones. *sigh*
I am a mod addict (i.e. I spend more time looking for and installing mods than I play the game).

Back
Top Bottom