New Paradox Game & DLC

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
New Paradox Games & DLC

Paradox announced a bunch of new games in the last 24 hrs. You can check out the new RPG Runemaster on the front-page.

For this thread though it's just for a new strategy game, and more DLC for released games. Here are the details.

Hearts of Iron IV

Hearts of Iron IV challenges players to face the brutal conflict of World War II in a multifaceted grand strategy game, where history can be fully relived or rewritten from the perspective of a global superpower attempting to change the world, or a small nation simply trying to survive.
Also IncGamers has news of new DLC for Crusader Kings II, and Europa Universalis IV

Link-http://www.incgamers.com/2014/01/new-dlc-announced-crusader-kings-ii-europa-universalis-iv
Crusader Kings II will be expanding into new realms for the Rajas of India, an add-on which is said to make the map “50% larger” and includes three new religions. Indian-based ones, presumably. This is all coming out of Paradox Con second-hand, so information is a bit on the scarce side.

Meanwhile, Europa Universalis IV will be getting the Wealth of Nations. This adds more trade and diplomacy options, privateers, caravans and Trading Companies.

Last edited:
Of the PDS strategy games, Hearts of Iron 3 is the one I liked the least. It was just too complex for me. I love Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4, Victoria 2 I'm thinking on giving it a try someday, but HoI3 really put me off.
Looking forward to CK2's expansion and the new RPG game, not so much HoI4 and EU4's expansion.

HOI2, with doomsday and armageddon are probably the game I've spent most time on. i could spend countless hours on preparing for our multiplayer sessions.

I actually never played germany :-/, prefered to play medium countries.

I never got hooked on HOI3, it felt to clinical and had much micro management.
I really missed the tech teams, it gave me a lot of immersion.

Im curious to where they are going with the franchise this time.

C

The milking continues :)

Then again, I've bought all the HoI games (I'm stupidly fond of WW2 grand strategy) - so I'll likely get this as well, even though I know it'll be a broken and unmanageable mess.

Looking forward to CK2's expansion and the new RPG game, not so much HoI4 and EU4's expansion.

HoI 4 and EU 4 expansion are 2 things I am most looking forward to.I played lot of CK 2 and I will only fire it up again if I want to play Game of thrones mod again.

They also have a cold war Era game called East vs. West. It might give us a glimpse of what Hearts of Iron IV might be like.

Link-http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west

It's taking them a while to release it though.:mad:

From the latest forum announcement the beta will be free, and people can donate money toward future development. I'm getting another Magna Mundi feeling here.

Link- http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...re-of-East-vs-West-The-Beta-and-Release-Date&
Hey everyone,

We've got some news for you regarding East vs. West that is going to change the future of the game and introduce the ability for fans to get intimately involved in the development. Since the project was born from modders we thought it was only right that we tell the community here first about the plans for it.

Development schedule permitting, East vs. West will be in beta come March and you will be able to contribute with what you want to get access to it.

This means that if you feel bad about playing the beta and not spending a cent, we will offer the alternative of paying what you want for it, and all money raised this way will go directly to the developers. Development of East vs. West is still being handled by BL Logic, so there are no changes there.

The scope of EvW is being reduced a little bit, you may have heard that some specific features are on hold while BL Logic focuses on the more integral parts of the game, and we agree with the devs that this is in the best interest of the game. As the game continues to improve, we may still decide to release it as a commercial product. Until then, though, a release date for EvW is not currently on our schedule. However, you'll all still be able to play the game in its beta form and support the devs with either your feedback here in the forums, monetarily, or both.

East vs. West is still shaping up to be a great Cold War game and we are looking forward to showing it to you in the coming months!

Last edited:
They also have a cold war Era game called East vs. West. It might give us a glimpse of what Hearts of Iron IV might be like.

Link-http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west

It's taking them a while to release it though.:mad:

From the latest forum announcement the beta will be free, and people can donate money toward future development. I'm getting another Magna Mundi feeling here.

Link- http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...re-of-East-vs-West-The-Beta-and-Release-Date&

I'm not interested in East vs West but from reading bits here and there it also gives me the Magna Mundi feeling of the 3rd party developer not meeting Paradox's QC standards.

IncGamers has a new article about Hearts of Iron IV.

Link- http://www.incgamers.com/2014/01/hearts-of-iron-iv-report-from-paradox-con

The fourth installment in the long-running series covers the period of 1936 to 1948 and aims to be “the most authentic real-time simulation of WWII to date”. History can be rewritten as you can play large global powers or a small nation trying to survive (as is the style in Paradox developed titles) and a big focus on this version is to make it “easier to learn to play, rather than easier to play.” The amount of options and information presented in the previous version has previously been a barrier to entry to people and Paradox are trying to rectify this. Just as Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV improved on their prior installments.

As far as the game engine is concerned, the map that we saw was visually impressive, cities light up as the night passes over them, and Dan mentioned that tracer fire can be seen from cities during air raids to compound that effect. Vehicle and infantry models are also look good with a unit count is displayed below them, although Dan noted the version we were shown was not final.
For mod makers there’s going to be Steamworks support built in which will open the game up to possibilities.

Steamworks should be integrated into Hearts of Iron IV to aid multiplayer games as well as Steam Workshop for mod support. Paradox mention they have had a recent push for Steamworks integration in Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II. There are now dedicated team members at Paradox focusing on making their games more moddable and community friendly.

Adding India to CK2? Might drop a bit in Paradox forum to see if it triggers an uproar as many perceive CK2 as a eurocentric game by design.

As it stands, the introduction of India should be worked out through the muslim countries. It might help to buff them a bit as they will have another side to focus on, give more beef to the Seldjuk and sometimes even let the Ottaman empire appear by itself.

Who knows?

Adding India to CK2? Might drop a bit in Paradox forum to see if it triggers an uproar as many perceive CK2 as a eurocentric game by design.

As it stands, the introduction of India should be worked out through the muslim countries. It might help to buff them a bit as they will have another side to focus on, give more beef to the Seldjuk and sometimes even let the Ottaman empire appear by itself.

Who knows?

Looking forward to that, though I doubt there is a lot of history recorded for that region and that timeframe (I may be wrong). And also, is that region's code of law similar to CK2s? I mean did they have hereditary demesnes and the equivalent of barons/bishops/mayors -> counts -> dukes -> kings -> emperors?

What will happen to the hordes? in current CK2 they suddenly appear from 'the east', but now the east will be there so, will the Seljuks get destroyed as before?

Last edited:
Looking forward to that, though I doubt there is a lot of history recorded for that region and that timeframe (I may be wrong). And also, is that region code of law similar to CK2s? I mean did they have hereditary demesnes and the equivalent of barons/bishops/mayors -> counts -> dukes -> kings -> emperors?

What will happen to the hordes? in current CK2 they suddenly appear from 'the east', but now the east will be there so, will the Seljuks get destroyed as before?

I sadly don't know a whole lot about India during this time period (will have to rectify that), but they did have a high standing civilization that could easily rival that of Europe. During the earlier parts, they were in fact far more advanced than most European nations. They did have a feudal monarchy, but it did not work exactly like it did in Europe. Also, nobility worked quite differently from how it did in Europe, as it tied in more with the caste system.
And there are a lot of recorded history. A larger portion of the population knew how to read & write compared to Europe (to my knowledge, don't quite me on this), and they also left a lot of lasting records in their art & architecture. And in regards to architecture, just compare 11th century Indian architecture to its most advanced European counterparts.

I also wonder how they will handle the hordes though. I was never fond of how they just popped up in CK2, so hopefully they will find a smoother way to introduce them.

Strategy Informer has a preview this week also.

Link- http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/heartsofironiv/1089/preview.html
That's essentially all we know at this point. It may seem like we're trying to sell you on this game so early with not a lot to go on right now, but there's a reason Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV have become as good as they have. The new philosophy of patience, care and attention has done wonders for these franchises, and there's no reason to think that it won't do the same for Hearts of Iron and that alone is exciting. It's going to be a long wait for 2015, but hopefully we'll be able to bring you more information and assets sooner rather than later. Hearts of Iron 4 is scheduled for a Q1 2015 release.

is that region's code of law similar to CK2s? I mean did they have hereditary demesnes and the equivalent of barons/bishops/mayors -> counts -> dukes -> kings -> emperors?

Historically, republics were not supposed to have hereditary titles and muslims were not supposed to have hereditary demesnes. They were fitted in CK2. It tells that whatever the situation was in India, they should fit.

Hordes should only concern North India and as an invasion ground.

When Paradox includes central Asia, it will turn different.

Here is a new trailer for the Crusader kings II: Rajas of India DLC

Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India introduces a wealth of new cultural and religious events that would appease even the ferocious goddess Kali, including meeting yogis and sadhus, celebrating Holi and thinking about your reincarnation. Be careful, the Wheel of Life keeps on turning and those karmic forces can be equally cruel!

With all eyes on Hindustan, the map has been extended far to the east to encompass hundreds of new provinces in Central Asia as well as opening up the ports of The Red Sea and Indian Ocean for navigation by your fleets.

I'm mildly enthusiastic about the CKII expansion. I don't really care that much for India, but I hope they'll at least fix some of the stuff in Europe up too. And I guess, a bigger map is a better map?

I'm mildly enthusiastic about the CKII expansion. I don't really care that much for India, but I hope they'll at least fix some of the stuff in Europe up too. And I guess, a bigger map is a better map?
Not necessarily. Bigger maps means many more provinces means slower game (specially after a couple of hundred years where all those provinces now have history of who gave who 'a good tumble' and who backstabbed who), but they mentioned that along with this expansion comes a big set of improvements in memory and performance usage so they don't expect things to get noticeably slower. If you have a fast computer you should be ok, but those who play the game in 4 year old laptops will probably suffer.

I checked a little because that story of central Asia called for it.

I found that article
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/28/c...map-increase-new-religions-and-free-features/

That reads 400 additional provinces (map extended by 50 %)
It reads like huge, even for a territory as large as India.

So maybe the expansion will introduce central Asia but as unplayable factions that will be triggered by further expansions.

The article also gives some hints about gameplay.

I suppose that they are 400 holdings, not provinces. Could mean 100 to 80 provinces.

It fits with the 50% map increase(current provinces count is around 900). Much more land than India is going to be added. And that hints for more expansions coming down the way. In a near future, hordes are going to be playable from the inside etc...

Back
Top Bottom