The NEW NWN Team Corwin Thread

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
For the uninitiated, Team Corwin is the name given to the group which currently plays online together on Friday Nights (GMT-5) using Hamachi and Skype. These sessions are currently being hosted by Peter Staufenberg since he's the only one with the technical savy to figure out how to host behind a router!! :-/ We're nearly finished our current campaign and plan at least one more with NWN before considering a switch to NWN2 next year once some new mods are created.

We would like to see a few other teams emerge in the new year and who knows, we might be able to organise our own dedicated server again, like we had back at the Dot. If people are interested in persuing this, or joining our team, please feel free to post here. We ran 2 PW's at the Dot, as well as hosting DM'd and non-DM'd gaming sessions, so there is plenty of scope for interested people to become involved in this.

Game on as usual I see. I will be there as always. :)

I am interested but I have a few noob questions which I hope you'll forgive:
What's Hamachi ?
What's Skype ?
Is the XFire thing that shipped with the game necessary to play ?
If Hamachi and Skype are what I think they are -- voice recognition stuff --, would it still be possible to play without those ? You know, I could RP a mute guy ?
Thank you.

Hamachi is just a LAN sorter so we can play without direct server use. It and skype are free. Skype is an internet chat program. It seemed to work much better for us then YIM and a lot better sound. If you are interested, we can help you get set up by our next mod, which should be soon. The current one may well end tonight. It would be nice to get more players in our group. :)

Sorry, but I'm not sure to have understood what Skype is: it's a chat program, but do we type in our responses or do we speak them over a mic ?

It's a chat and VOIP program with file sharing as a bonus, plus video options!! We all use a mic and headset rather than trying to type as we play. If you think CM and I tease/insult each other here, you should hear us during a gaming session!! lol :biggrin:

I didn't even know my NWN2 game had a multiplayer feature.

It's a chat and VOIP program with file sharing as a bonus, plus video options!! We all use a mic and headset rather than trying to type as we play. If you think CM and I tease/insult each other here, you should hear us during a gaming session!! lol :biggrin:

Would it be possible to play without it -- I'd prefer typing (and reading) ?

SirDeity we are still playing NWN 1 mods for now. NWN2 will have some good ones made soon we hope. ;)
Cormac if you prefer not to speak you will miss out on our chatter, insults and joking with each other. Pm me and we can discuss it after the game tonight.

It's MUCH easier to plan a strategy, yell for help in a battle etc using a mic, than typing. Remeber, in MP, the game doesn't pause so by the time you type asking someone to come assist you, you'd likely be dead. Mind you, if you're playing a caster you'd definitely be dead!! :)

I will try to host a NWN2 game without using Hamachi. Maybe the router won't block NWN2 games because different ports are being used than for NWN1.

Skype is just great when playing. I can just say what I want instead of having to type it. It makes life a lot easier and we can focus on playing and having fun instead of having to type a lot. But it's possible to play without Skype and then we need to type a bit too. So Skype is not a must for joing our gaming sessions.

I will start my NWN1 host in less than 20 minutes. I think we will be able to finish our game in this session. We are all level 40 characters, but still the walkthrough says that the final battle will be REALLY difficult. I wonder what we will be up against. :)

Well if me playing without skype would be too much trouble for everyone involved, I'll skip (pun intended). Thanks to all for clarifying this.

I'd love to join you guys in NWN2 when you make the transition to that game. I don't care much for NWN1... I can host decent on this comp too... 100+mbps connection

Cormac, the problem would be we would have to type all we are saying. Defeats using skype for us. If you would want to just listen in and type responses that would work.

And so it ends. We won in spite of Peter being stuck to the ground and feeding the enemy his own lifes blood. :lol:

New campaign next week if anyone is interested in joining us!!

We plan to play the Aielund Saga, Act 4, The Fall of Aielund Parts 1 and 2. Here is the link. Be sure to get both of them. The haks, music ect should be all you need for both.

What would be nice is doing a play be forum p&p game. I had a ball the little a couple of us from the dot did last time. Thats the only time I played p&p (well, I tried to get my wife to do it but she just made fun of me so that didn't pan out). I'm much rather play a character and roleplay centric game than a hack-n-slash. No router problems, no mods, hacks, or this and that. Just you, a yahoo user group forum, and a character sheet.

Set one up, and they will come!! :)

Cormac, the problem would be we would have to type all we are saying. Defeats using skype for us. If you would want to just listen in and type responses that would work.

If it's okay with everybody else, I'd do it like that: all of you skyped, me unskyped.

What do you have against Skype?

Back
Top Bottom