CD Projekt RED - Interview @ PCGamesN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGamesN had the chance to interview CD Projekt RED, and talk about how the developer fought the publishers to win their independence.

As the biggest publishers and developers gathered in LA for E3, CD Projekt’s founders were in Agoura Hills signing the most expensive signature of their lives. They returned home the same week to Poland to announce a deal: THQ would promote and distribute The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 in Europe. Another victory for the one time industry outsiders who decided to make RPGs.

Marcin Iwiński escaped to England for “nine days of Zen”. Michal Nowakowski holidayed in Thailand with his wife. And neither of them was the slightest bit aware that another major publisher was busy preparing a court case against them.
More information.

The pair flew to Agoura Hills, and had “the most shitty meeting” of their business lives.

“It was like hitting a brick wall with your head,” remembered Nowakowski.

“And the brick wall was holding a gun to our head,” added Iwiński.

Namco were impeccably polite, just as Phil Harrison had been years before. But between the hat-tipping, they were able to convey to CD Projekt the severity of their situation - that if the studio didn’t pay up, “they were going to destroy us in court”.

And who did CD Projekt pick as their partners for The Witcher 3 in Europe? Namco Bandai.
What??

You two must be living under a rock as it was announced Namco Bandai was one of the distributors for Witcher 3 last year. This is old news by now, and it's called business.;)

Let me simplify it for you they don't let past mistakes get in the way of making money.

You two must be living under a rock as it was announced Namco Bandai was one of the distributors for Witcher 3 last year. This is old news by now, and it's called business.;)

Let me simplify it for you they don't let past mistakes get in the way of making money.

Oh yeah no i know it's been for a long while and it's all about Namco making the best offer and business again.
I have a feeling they are gonna get screwed over again though, they seem a bit too naive to deal with people as ruthless as Namco.
What i can't make sense of is, no matter how good the deal is, why would you put your head between the lions jaws for a second time ?

Edit: In the end it doesn't matter, as long as it's drm free on GOG i'm set anyways.

Last edited:
What i can't make sense of is, no matter how good the deal is, why would you put your head between the lions jaws for a second time ?

Because, this time, CD Projekt guys think that they are more in the position of a lion tamer and less in a position of a Christian in an arena. If they are right or wrong only time will tell.

Nicely spotted Paul!

Back
Top Bottom