Xenonauts - Patch 1.50 & 1.51 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
It has been a while since I have found any news for Xenonauts after the games last patch. The developer released two more patches this yeas to fix a few minor things.

Xenonauts V1.5 / Steam Workshop Released!

Our last version of Xenonauts V1.5 has been on the Experimental branch for a week and nobody has reported any major bugs in it, so it has now been released to the Windows Stable (i.e. default) Steam branch. We have also activated Steam Workshop for everyone.

We have also started work porting V1.5 to Mac / Linux and expect them to arrive in the next few days. For anyone that likes to play across multiple platforms, we are also preparing the non-Steam versions for Desura, Humble Store and GOG and expect them to arrive in the next week.

For those unfamiliar with V1.5, it is a final free update to the game that irons out a number of issues with the usability, balance and stability of the final release game. It's not a fundamental change to the gameplay, rather it just tries to remove a lot of those annoying little moments when it feels like the game is fighting you.

The community contributed greatly during the development process and many contributed still more after release. I'd like to give specific thanks to Solver and llunak for their work as Community Coders and to Skitso, Max_Caine and Kabill for their mapping / modding. Many others also deserve a mention but I must omit them for the sake of brevity!
Xenonauts V1.51 Released!

We have just released Xenonauts V1.51 across all platforms and distribution platforms. Whilst this is just a very small update for V1.5, everything is now available on Mac / Linux too.

Changelog:

• Fixed a bug with the game crashing if you opened your soldier inventory while standing over the corpse of an alien with a grenade
  • Check the previous announcement for the massive V1.5 changelist!
We have also revised our Steam branches somewhat, adding the Compatibility branch which may be useful for people on low-end machines who suffer performance issues as it does not use tile atlases / archiving. This causes slower load times but uses less video memory.
More information.

I really enjoyed Xenonauts, but never finished it because the ground combat missions (95% of gameplay) never effing END! Which would work if there was more variety, but I'm talking scores and scores of not optional missions with not enough different maps. The crazy thing is, this is after installing a community member's fantastic additional maps mod, without which the game would be unbearably repetitive. The dev should've cut him in on the take.

I really enjoyed Xenonauts, but never finished it because the ground combat missions (95% of gameplay) never effing END! Which would work if there was more variety, but I'm talking scores and scores of not optional missions with not enough different maps. The crazy thing is, this is after installing a community member's fantastic additional maps mod, without which the game would be unbearably repetitive. The dev should've cut him in on the take.

The only thing that makes games like this and Xcom unplayable after awhile, at least for me, is that you memorize the maps. If there were a way to randomly-generate maps, but yet have smart AI enemies that aren't confused by it... I'd probably only ever need Xcom. It's like crack to me.

Every downed ufo can be aurbombed for 25k to 45k so you wont need to do every mission. The gamecan be advanced fforward pretty fast now. I only do the missions I want to do and airbomb rest.Im on my first playthrough still about 30 hrs Iin, I love it being a big fan of all the micropose originals.

The only thing that makes games like this and Xcom unplayable after awhile, at least for me, is that you memorize the maps. If there were a way to randomly-generate maps, but yet have smart AI enemies that aren't confused by it… I'd probably only ever need Xcom. It's like crack to me.

With time and fortune, this project should approach this rather well.

http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/

@Dragonx you can airbomb targets, but for 25% of the revenue for completing the ground mission. What I would like is a "short war" mod that takes half as many game days (or 1/3 for me since I'm burned out on it) to finish, and for more terror/base attack missions.

Back
Top Bottom