What games are you playing now?

After finishing Arx Fatalis (actually Arx Libertatis), I've been playing XCOM:Enemy Within. Really loving it. Need more engineers for satellites. :)

But have come across a bug where none of my saves appear on the load game screen. Anyone else have this issue and know a fix?

Cheers!

After finishing Arx Fatalis (actually Arx Libertatis), I've been playing XCOM:Enemy Within. Really loving it. Need more engineers for satellites. :)

But have come across a bug where none of my saves appear on the load game screen. Anyone else have this issue and know a fix?

Cheers!
A few things-
-Did you start with Enemy Unknown or just straight to Within?
-Yep, the minimum engineer requirement is a pain throughout the game
-Are you using autosaves?
-If you are, most of the time you'll have to scroll down to find your manual saves. Sometimes it seemed to me like the saves showed up in the list out of order, but I never had them completely disappear.
-I started Frayed Knights about a week ago. Pretty fun game, and yet somehow I've started another run thru Enemy Within and it's getting the vast majority of my attention. That says something, me thinks.

Straight to Within and using autosaves.

I figured out my save game problem. Operator error. So dumb.

I already lost my first country. Egypt. I can't seem to build satellites and uplink facilities fast enough. Too many alien abduction missions (3) at the same time mean 2 countries have their panic raised to 3. I have put off alien live captures until I get good satellite coverage, thinking that enemies would stay weaker. In the meantime the enemy difficulty keeps escalating. Now I am fighting a landed UFO with Mutons, Seekers, Floaters, and the energy alien. Too tough.

I may need to restart and focus on satellites and engineers above all else.

Losing a country isn't the end of the world, so to speak. It's pretty tough to keep it from happening, actually, for exactly the reason you mention.

You might think about restarting, but I will save you a little bit of agony. You won't be able to build enough satellites to keep up. Even if you manage to get them built, you won't have enough time and cash left to build the uplink rooms you need to run them.

One hint shall I give…
You really, really want to capture that energy alien
That capture leads to a mission that "resets" the global panic level for every country in one fell swoop.

Within added a few things that were pretty fun, but at the end of the day I'd probably go with Unknown if it weren't for one magic button that they added. I don't really do much with genetics or cybernetics and the base defense mission is actually not that bad after you get completely, utterly, this-ain't-fun stomped once and learn a trick or two. That "make equipment available" button is just too damn useful to give up, though. I build enough gear to equip my squad and then pass it around. I wasted a ton of time cleaning inventories manually when I was playing Unknown the first time, so now I'm stuck playing Within for better or worse.

Last edited:
It's 2 separate games. They don't even share the save game files, thus leading to my consternation. But there doesn't seem to be different steam application executable. There's only one xcomgame.exe. It's not clear where the Enemy Within code lives. It's probably just made to virtually look like 2 games with the launcher and the 2 save file locations. :/

DTE, that explains it then. It seems impossible to keep up otherwise (unlike the original XCOM). Thanks! I wanted to have plasma rifles for my squad before taking the plunge against harder enemies. I beat the mutons but didn't have the stunners. Hopefully I'll get another chance before I run out of time. Otherwise, maybe a restart (without the tutorials) will be in order. Or perhaps a reload to before the mutons, so I'll have the stunners. But I have the save scumming randomization turned on so that may not work. Will see.

Overall it's totally engrossing. The time flies by! :)

Last edited:
It's 2 separate games. They don't even share the same game files, thus leading to my consternation.

It's the same game as far as the story is concerned though. EW contains everything EU had but adds a lot of new content, so I don't get why anyone would want to play the vanilla game.. unless there's something I'm missing.

It's the same game as far as the story is concerned though. EW contains everything EU had but adds a lot of new content, so I don't get why anyone would want to play the vanilla game.. unless there's something I'm missing.
I just don't particularly care about most of the additions. You can, using the second wave options, turn some of that extra content "on" from the base game anyway. Generally speaking, I'd agree with you. I'm just weird on this one. ;)

@thrasher- plasma is too far up the tech tree and the manufacturing tree to wait. For my 3 runs (I've been playing normal difficulty), I was tackling that outsider alien with laser rifles and my snipers and heavies were still stuck with starter weapons. It's not that I'm some super tactician, it's just a case of needing to move the storyline way before I can get properly equipped.

Last edited:
Ok, well then I'll start making some laser pews pews and start der interrogations. ;)

JDR, the basic engine is the same, as I understand it. The differences include more difficulty, more missions, powerful soldier mods (genetic and mechs), medals, more tech, and more enemy and map variety. It's a lot more to keep track of than the microprose original. I do miss building multiple bases, nighttime combat, and low morale soldiers going berserk. But these games. Wow, nothing quite engages me like them. A time sucking obsession for me. :)

The original basically had one path to success. EU looks like there's a lot more flexibility in the tech tree. You've got to pick a path, since there isn't enough time and resources to fully develop and use it all.

You know a manual would really help this game. Now I remember why I delayed this. ;)

For example, smoke grenades. I thought if you threw them at an enemy, then he couldn't see through it to hit you. Wrong. No wonder they didn't work. They actually add to the defense of anyone who is inside them? Oops.

Last edited:
Xulima, normal difficulty... I'd say this feels like hard in other games... LOL

Xulima, normal difficulty… I'd say this feels like hard in other games… LOL

LOL certainly not, hard in other games is equivalent to easy in Xulima. In fact to play as what used to be normal you have to select very hard nowadays, and even then often the only difference is enemies with gigantic HP bloat.

I can't wait to get back to Xulima, it is a brilliant gem.

I'm currently at Hinterland and the amount of quests here are tiring me out. I'm a bit of completionist but I really want to take a break now.

Get out of the Hinterlands now!

You can't play this game as a completionist, you'll end up both bored to tears and needlessly over-leveled.

Skip the damn shards, skip the requisition table, only do as many minor local quests as you need to get the "power" rating to open up the next part of the plot.

I now do the companion-approval quests in each area (kill the rogue templars, etc) along with any other sidequests I run into on my way to them or whatever else strikes my fancy. That's been plenty to progress me through the main plot — and the main plot is good.

If I were trying to close every rift / put flowers on every grave / dig up every secret seashell I'd have quit long ago.

No no and no!
Don't skip Hinterlands!
Clear it completely before you proceed (skip only the dragon area). Try to explore neverending spawning bears and spiders areas as fast as possible.

And with the influence you get, buy dialogue perks first!
And don't skip shards. They open you a new not huge area with easy to kill mobs, earn plently of cash to buy the exotic mount, gather blood herbs needed to upgrade many pot recipes etc.

RSK is right in one thing. Requisitions. Skip gathering stuff for those! They get you absolutely nothing (except a worthless achievement).

Get out of the Hinterlands now!

You can't play this game as a completionist, you'll end up both bored to tears and needlessly over-leveled.

Yeah, I'm out of Hinterlands…. Decided to go to ‎Val Royeaux and now back at Haven camp. I spent all last night talking to companions instead and had much more fun (still haven't recruited neither Vivien nor Sera).

So far, I really like Solas (which was a surprise, earned massive approval with him) and Cullen. Not getting much connection with Cassandra, although her background story was rather interesting, Leliana is going through some gloomy period, which I don't really like, and Varric is…. Varric. Not sure why, but I never really warmed up to him even in DA2. He just seem so generic, likeable character with nothing really standing out. Josephine sounds like female Zevran, which is hilarious! (gotta love Antivan accent).

Did a couple of war table mission that doesn't cost power too. I find this rather interesting.

No no and no!
Don't skip Hinterlands!
Clear it completely before you proceed (skip only the dragon area). Try to explore neverending spawning bears and spiders areas as fast as possible.

And with the influence you get, buy dialogue perks first!
And don't skip shards. They open you a new not huge area with easy to kill mobs, earn plently of cash to buy the exotic mount, gather blood herbs needed to upgrade many pot recipes etc.

RSK is right in one thing. Requisitions. Skip gathering stuff for those! They get you absolutely nothing (except a worthless achievement).

joxer, I will go back to Hinterlands again, after I have a bit of fun with companions. I'm on shards quest and collected more than half, so I might as well complete it. Is exotic mount even worthy while buying? I find upgrade system rather tedious…. it's soooo MMO (reminds me of Guild Wars crafting).

And eh… what's Requisitions? Collecting quests?

Hinterlands agent who you need to tend horses (assuming you'll switch them here and there and buy new ones at least for fun) accepted to be recruited in my game only after I got the exotic mount! Not before.
I've seen somewhere posted that Cassandra can persuade him even without that… Didn't happen in my game. I might be wrong about this though as I actually talked to the man to come to Skyhold after I got the exotic mount.

Requisitions are "constructs" you need materials for and in return they net you +1 power. Now worth your time as you'll get power just about everywhere for "cheap" and those materials will better fit for upgrading pots and crafting equipment.

I've seen somewhere posted that Cassandra can persuade him even without that… Didn't happen in my game. I might be wrong about this though as I actually talked to the man to come to Skyhold after I got the exotic mount.
I was able to persuade him myself by using a dialog option provided by the History Knowledge Inquisition perk. The Inquisitor can claims that Orlesian horses are better anyway, affecting the tender's honor ;)

Thanks, I made a mistake and pursued unlocking skill instead of dialogue perks first. :(

Slowly moving on with Xulima. That game wipes the floor with my sorry arse.
Said before, I'm playing on normal difficulty, but this is not normal, my folks are dying like crazy everywhere, lol.
Reached finally some castle, not sure if it's better to return for a spell to remove burning floor or to risk sneaking in through a well. Both ways seem as a bad choice, hahaha. Will see tomorrow…

Thanks, I made a mistake and pursued unlocking skill instead of dialogue perks first. :(

Slowly moving on with Xulima. That game wipes the floor with my sorry arse.
Said before, I'm playing on normal difficulty, but this is not normal, my folks are dying like crazy everywhere, lol.
Reached finally some castle, not sure if it's better to return for a spell to remove burning floor or to risk sneaking in through a well. Both ways seem as a bad choice, hahaha. Will see tomorrow…

There's an other way into the castle ....

Go to the well behind the castle and jump inside...

Back
Top Bottom