You might want to let Anthony Davis, Chris Avellone, the Larian guys and the many other developers they've confirmed still read the Codex regularly know that it's irrelevant these days - in fact, Avellone's stated that the Watch and the Codex are the two CRPG forums he regularly visits. The poor souls must think they're gleaning something from our long, constructive debates about CRPG mechanics, immensely active and detailed LP forum, regular reviews, retrospectives and developer interviews and the several in-progress games and projects being developed, supported and helped along by Codexers.

I won't deny that there are some shit posters and that the site as a whole could do with a good scrubbing; the signal:noise ratio, as with any forum, is probably well over 50:50 and is intensified by the laissez-faire moderation. But to deny that the above exist as a result isn't just doing yourself and the site a disservice, it's frankly insulting to the many good posters who ignore the crap and post/do more constructive things than I've seen rivalled on any other forum. I wouldn't consider myself a great poster, I just make silly comics, but I think I know the Codex pretty well and I hate to see good ideas and productivity go unnoticed.

Just to point out, this is NOT supposed to be a Bash the Codex thread!! This is a courtesy thread for when the Codex is down. While we here at the Watch try to run a different type of site from the Codex, there is still much overlap and bashing each other is counter productive.

The Codex does suck though. Like, a lot. There are a couple of good posters, though, such as Ed123 (no relation) and Callaxes.

I won't deny that there are some shit posters and that the site as a whole could do with a good scrubbing; the signal:noise ratio, as with any forum, is probably well over 50:50 and is intensified by the laissez-faire moderation.

"visiting" a site does not mean they take it seriously. Like most people who go there prob visit it for cheap entertainment. Unless they post and interact in a meaningful way then its moot who visits. Perhaps they do I don't know I frankly do not have the time/interest to weed though mounts of garbage to find 1 gem.

As for the quote above, correction; any forum that is not run correctly. Look at my forum, this forum, or most other forums. The signal is much higher then the noise as it should be. If you think the codex forum is the SOP for forums then you have spent vastly more time there then your should as your views are skewed.

Other then that we will simply agree to disagree on your other points.

Just to point out, this is NOT supposed to be a Bash the Codex thread!! This is a courtesy thread for when the Codex is down. While we here at the Watch try to run a different type of site from the Codex, there is still much overlap and bashing each other is counter productive.

Since this is directed to me, 2 things.

a. I am expressing a educated opinion with facts to back such up
b. I was asked a question to my experience and I answered. Just because said story wasn't all rainbows and bunnies does not mean anyone is 'bashing', it is simply honest truth.

But I said all that really needs to, no more from me on the topic.

a. I am expressing a educated opinion with facts to back such up

lol (again, for some reason the Watch will not allow me to dignify you post with the 'educated opinion with facts to back such up' your comment deserves, so this () is just a placeholder)

lol (again, for some reason the Watch will not allow me to dignify you post with the 'educated opinion with facts to back such up' your comment deserves, so this () is just a placeholder)

OT: To clarify my 'educated opinion', I am on my 4th successful online community or/and news site in the past 12 years. (More if you go farther back and add in non-web sites like IRC RP chat rooms) If you are judging 'successful' via raw traffic/forum posting/popularity/google search results.

For example when I ran nwn2news.net for 3.5 years on average I was getting 8 million page views and 20K unique IP hits a month. Today wodnews.net which was re-booted at the start of the year is getting average 8K unique IP hits and 200K page views a month. All this while keeping firm but fair forum polices with a active forum and a very high signal over noise ratio. All for a game that isn't even out yet I may add.

So at the risk of tooting my own horn I think I qualify myself as someone who is 'educated' at founding, running successful online sites/communities and shows you do not have to go the codex route to do so.

May I ask what your credentials are?

My credentials? Let's start by exploring my claim. I claim that the RPGCodex is a good forum where one can get news and excellent debate if one is looking for it and is not the softest-skinned baby in the woods. This is my claim. What credentials do I need to stand behind this claim?

Well, I enjoy posting on RPGCodex, I get valuable opinions there, non-biased (or, well, biased, but in the way I like instead of everywhere else where it's mainly about agreeing with whatever the industry deigns to present us with today), I enjoy the discussions there, and I have fun there. Moreover, I can express my views no matter what they might be and however I might like.

Do I need further credentials than this to say that I like the site? No, no I don't.

You however, went far beyond displaying a general personal dislike of the site. Let's explore your claims with the following statements:

Another year or two and the place will be nothing but trolls

It isn't "going" it is already there is my point.

This is not backed up by the "facts" you present. This is a prediction of the future which - even if your "facts" where slightly relevant to the subject at hand - is something you cannot call fact no matter how little you adhere to the basic rules of proof and falsification. Your "facts" are what intelligent people call "anecdotal evidence" - and even your site views data proves nothing BUT the fact that we have less visitors than other forums. I hope we can agree quickly that quantity and quality are two very different concepts.

I know for a FACT (such a good word, I should throw critical thinking out the window and use it some more) that I engage in great debates about RPGs, follow phenomenal LPs, participate in great tournaments in various games and enjoy reading reviews and news by many posters there.

These facts cannot be contested, as they are nothing but personal observations about my time there and they only back up the claim that I find value there (which is all I have ever stated). They also have the added benefit of rendering your "IT IS NOTHING (emphasis on the absolute character of that idiotic word you chose to display your ignorance with) BUT TROLLS!!!" statement nothing (c wut I did thar?) but a blanket statement that shows that what you consider an "educated opinion based on facts" is nothing but a thouroughly normative way of viewing a site that you dislike and therefore have generated prejudice about which you adhere to instead of pulling your head out of your ass for five seconds and look around.

But whatever. In the end I suppose it doesn't matter a toss what you think, and I'm certainly not saying you should come by, since we already have our share of people who love blanket statements (you'd love Skyway).

In short: Fuck you and your "educated opinion based on facts" and "I run a site on the internet so I should be able to make accurate predictions on a site's future MY GOD WHY AM I NOT WORKING FOR THE BIG SOCIAL FORUMS THEY WOULD LOVE SOMEONE WITH THIS SKILL" attitude. It's foolish and ultimately groundlessly aloof.

I shall end this post with the very correct though perhaps too polite words of my good friend The BUMFACE:

But to deny that the above exist as a result isn't just doing yourself and the site a disservice, it's frankly insulting to the many good posters who ignore the crap and post/do more constructive things than I've seen rivalled on any other forum.

The facts you present have no correlation to your claim. That pretty obvious point has now been spelled out. The "facts" are furthermore anecdotal evidence, and are thus useless.

As one who has witnessed the cretinous, seedy underbelly of the Internet that is the RPG Codex, where fools and Nazis like that thieving Aryan weasel Wesp5 run rampant, I must agree with the educated opinion of my esteemed colleague, Harlequin.

I should mention that I, too, run a highly successful, respected forum, as well as being considered second to none among modders. Those many among you who are familiar with me will agree that my high-caliber improvements bring out the most important qualities of games that would undoubtedly have fallen to the wayside were it not for the renewed interest I instilled in them, using my immeasurable influence among gamers and those with a healthy respect for the female body.

Face it, Grunker. You are like unto a clown compared to such Internet Titans as We who stand before you. Back down, lest ye be annihilated by our combined MAJESTY.

"As one who has witnessed the cretinous, seedy underbelly of the Internet that is the RPG Codex, where fools and Nazis like that thieving Aryan weasel Wesp5 run rampant, I must agree with the educated opinion of my esteemed colleague, Harlequin.

I should mention that I, too, run a highly successful, respected forum, as well as being considered second to none among modders. Those many among you who are familiar with me will agree that my high-caliber improvements bring out the most important qualities of games that would undoubtedly have fallen to the wayside were it not for the renewed interest I instilled in them, using my immeasurable influence among gamers and those with a healthy respect for the female body.

Face it, Grunker. You are like unto a clown compared to such Internet Titans as We who stand before you. Back down, lest ye be annihilated by our combined MAJESTY."

:lol:

OT: To clarify my 'educated opinion', I am on my 4th successful online community or/and news site in the past 12 years. (More if you go farther back and add in non-web sites like IRC RP chat rooms) If you are judging 'successful' via raw traffic/forum posting/popularity/google search results.

For example when I ran nwn2news.net for 3.5 years on average I was getting 8 million page views and 20K unique IP hits a month. Today wodnews.net which was re-booted at the start of the year is getting average 8K unique IP hits and 200K page views a month. All this while keeping firm but fair forum polices with a active forum and a very high signal over noise ratio. All for a game that isn't even out yet I may add.

So at the risk of tooting my own horn I think I qualify myself as someone who is 'educated' at founding, running successful online sites/communities and shows you do not have to go the codex route to do so.

May I ask what your credentials are?

Checked out your WOD site. It is shit. Learn how to code a proper website or pay someone to do it. Also, I hope you know that you have made a website for a game that is basically vaporware? It will never come to light, especially not with retarded mechanics like permadeath.

So, good job wasting years of your life doing something hardly anyone cares about. And doing a pretty bad job at it too.

I predict you will join the codex in a few years, and become one of our bitterest regulars.

I predict you will join the codex in a few years, and become one of our bitterest regulars.

Isn't being more or less banned on sight reason enough not to count oneself as part of a given group?

I only follow the news and rpg forums in the codex and post as little as possible but i have to say that it is a nice place to burn free time, sure there are some dumbfucks there and their taste in RPGs is horrible ( turn based with parties) but still there are always interesting things to read and the feeling is very much European , meaning that you can use everyday language and not the sterilised, politically correct kwa shit "for the shake of the children" and "quality" of the forums.

Why was the paki wannabe banned ?

Back
Top Bottom