Knights of the Chalice - v1.17 Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Two small updates for Knights of the Chalice over last couple of days:
Version 1.17:

1) Negative levels will decrease all saving throws, as they should.
2) Moved Load/Save descriptions a bit to the left in the load/save screen.
3) Fixed a broken link “Weakness” in the description for Polymorph Fire giant/Frost giant.
4) Hyperlinks in spell descriptions will not be printed with all-capitals anymore.
5) A cleric will be able to dismiss the elemental he summoned as a move equivalent action.

Things I may do in later updates:
- redraw the small font in higher resolution
- add another windowed mode 960x720, with smaller sprites and a larger area viewable.

============================================================================

Version 1.16:

1) Scribe Scroll will be the first feat suggested by the game for a cleric.
2) When selecting a feat at level up, the list will be displayed in alphabetical order.
3) The feats and abilities screen will display in alphabetical order (If there are other places where this would be useful, let me know).
4) When trading with a friendly cleric, there will be an option to purchase healing/restoration/resurrection services. Just click on the red cross near your character’s name. This will be helpful for Ironman games and games without a cleric. Note: for resurrection, the cleric will use Raise Dead so you may lose some experience points.
5) Cancelling a character’s spellcasting will not scroll back to the acting character.
More information.

Great game, even tho the graphics looks so low res and simple that you have to put your mind about it aside.
To bad it its a bit expensive…

this feature i do like ; add another windowed mode 960x720, with smaller sprites and a larger area viewable !

15 pounds is expensive? Money well spent, imo. 15 pounds is about 800 NT or $24. I spend more on blockbuster videos than I did on that game.

15 pounds is expensive? Money well spent, imo. 15 pounds is about 800 NT or $24. I spend more on blockbuster videos than I did on that game.

true, but i havent an idea what to expect from this game, the demo part is so short and lacking of story. You got the full game? is it as big story wise as lets say avernum or geneforge?

@ikbenrichard-There isn't much focus on the storyline at all. This is a game that revels in tactical combat and the story is just there as dressing. You're mercenaries working for a faction called the Knights of the Chalice. They send you on missions of peril, presumably for the fat loot you'll receive from defeating said enemies of the faction. You take orders from a commander and what little storyline does develop happens inside of a few notes.

This is 95% about turn-based D20 battles. The other 5% is window dressing. That said, it is a wonderfully executed game. Crafting is pretty important as a means to survive the constant battling. You can create arrows, armors, weapons, wands, etc, all on the fly to support your numerous fights. I keep restarting but I'm guessing a full game from start to finish might be 30 hours or so. You'll level from 1-20 in those few hours, all from combat experience.

@ikenrichard CRPNUT's assesment is spot on. Basically if you like TOEE you'll love this one.

The quests remind me a lot of the old goldbox games from SSI. They are just your usual quests like save the people or find this/find that. The part where this game shines is in the combat. It really makes you think and the AI will use atual tactics when trying to defeat you.

I'm still freaked out a little that the AI used my own tactic against me. I like to cast web on the enemies and have my wizard transform into a spider. He'll take them out one by one while my other characters pepper them with arrows. After I got through with a dungeon and took an exit I immediatly was attacked. They did the exact same thing I had been doing. They cast web, some transformed into a spider while the others attacked with sleep arrows.

Now that is why I love this game. It uses the rules to it's advantage. Not many games actually have an AI that good.

Last edited:
I have kept downloading demos ... really need to give this a shot. ALmost bought it last night just to show support for this type of game.

I'd like to 'support' the game by buying it, but it seems to me this is more 'Icewind Dale' than 'Baldur's Gate'. Hopefully the devs can use the engine for new games where combat is not the entire point.

Yep, wolfing. There is almost nothing here but combat. It's great at that, but it's definitely a one trick pony. My hope is that Blue Salamander will build a game on top of his awesome combat engine next time. He's got the engine, now think of a nice set of storylines to go with it. What little writing is in the game is pretty mediocre, so he might need to get some external help. Of course, if he doesn't sell enough copies for it to be worth his while, then we'll never see if he could improve upon what he delivered the first time. That's why I purchased. This game is quite fun, but I'm hoping to see better.

Back
Top Bottom