Good Old Games - Baldur's Gate 2 Released

Well lets see, what part of… "Yes, with the TuTu/Widescreen combo you can play at any resolution you want and it scales perfectly" do you find to be ambiguous?

Seriously... just stop.

"scales perfectly" doesn't say anything about fonts. I've seen many widescreen mods that scale only the playing field, with no scaling of the UI. Others that scale the UI elements, but none of the text. Yet some people seem to think these scale "perfectly" in their eyes. "Scales perfectly" has no semantic value, it's totally subjective. Get it?

And still, I have not heard an answer to my question...

I haven't tried very high resolutions, as the interface of BG1 and 2 doesn't really benefit from it. Never seen any issues with the fonts though, so I assume they scale well even on higher resolutions.

I tried the PS:T widescreen mod at 1600x1200 a while back, which as I understand, uses the same technology. None of the fonts were scaled up. All the text was minuscule. Reading mountains of tiny text on a laptop screen was untenable. Have they fixed it? Not only that, the UI elements were too small to accurately click.

Then you installed it wrong. I installed it a few months ago and it scaled everything just fine. (IIRC scalling the fonts is one of the options when you install the mod)

Well, they may have changed it since then, but I had thought it was a fairly mature mod.

One I had, had just became available for PS:T at the time I tried it. There were/are different incarnations of this mod. Are your comments about the latest G3 version? if so, it definitely sounds like they've upgraded it since I tried with font scaling. Very glad to hear that!

Last edited:
Yeah, I got it from G3.

Are we bored? ;)

Seems pretty pedantic.

Ok, so "scales perfectly" is an unreachable standard for pretty much anything.

All I can say is that I've played BG1/BG2 at high resolutions (above 1024x768) in widescreen - and nothing was unreadable or even uncomfortable in any way.

Whether there are strange combinations that don't work optimally or not, I couldn't say. I also don't remember having to do anything to get the font to scale, but it's possible I did something anyway.

Certainly, it's miles ahead of the 640x480 resolution and the interface that takes up half the screen - but that's my own personal opinion.

I think 2D art looks better the "finer" it gets - but it's not a big deal. But the combined package is a no-brainer in my mind - and I would recommend it to anyone. But I understand the desire for the nostalgic "pure" experience, and I can certainly understand not wanting to interfere with that.

Also, I recommend setting the game at "45 FPS" rather than the standard "30 FPS" - but this is also 100% subjective. But I REALLY don't like that you can't run and the slow walking movement. So I always speed it up and 45 seems a decent point where the movement isn't too silly looking.

I didn't mean to say it was "unreadable", just untenable due to the mounting eye strain. Having a big screen makes the issue moot for those that do, though.

Then you installed it wrong. I installed it a few months ago and it scaled everything just fine. (IIRC scalling the fonts is one of the options when you install the mod)

Unless something has changed, widescreen mod for IE games doesn´t offer font scaling.
For PS:T though, Ghostdog´s UI mod does this and it´s very likely you had it installed on top of widescreen one.

And from what I remember about Baldur´s Gate, it indeed scales "perfectly", but that does also mean fonts are much smaller, which may certainly be a problem on some monitors.
There is a font mod which addresses this, downloadable from here. It isn´t perfect, but it´s the only one I know about.

Last edited:
Unless something has changed, widescreen mod for IE games doesn´t offer font scaling.
For PS:T though, Ghostdog´s UI mod does this and it´s very likely you had it installed on top of widescreen one.

And from what I remember about Baldur´s Gate, it indeed scales "perfectly", but that does also mean fonts are much smaller, which may certainly be a problem on some monitors.
There is a font mod which addresses this, downloadable from here. It isn´t perfect, but it´s the only one I know about.

I used TehMarv's idea over at the GOG.com forums and it works great in Baldur's Gate II-http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldur_s_gate/using_widescreen_mod_text_size_is_too_small

Back
Top Bottom