Windows 7 vs 10

I have two screenshots to share from win10. Examples.

——-
pic1.jpg

——-

Looks great, right? This is what PC operating system should look like!
Thumb up M$!

And the second one…
pic2.jpg

——-

WTF, go to hell with that iPhone/Android idiocy!

And I hoped there will be no need for 3rd party mods seeing the first screenshot…
Peh.

——————————————————————-
Important info, once you upgrade, disable this idiocy that is for whatever reason enabled by default.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...word-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts

So… While win8 was strictly phoneOS ported to PC, win10 is win7+windowsPhone it seems. Because…

7542f6bfd6375d7cb33d89465eb83e32.jpg

While still better than win8… Seeing these pics is a disappointment.

Last edited:
That shouldn't be a surprise as win 10 will be running on tablets and phones. I'm actually happy about it, right now I have IOS, android and windows.

It would be nice to just have one unified OS, although I'm not super thrilled that it's by Microsoft.

We don't share the same enthusiasm, sorry.
I'll just sit back and wait for a mod, aka hack, that'll automatically disable any phone options M$ put in win10. As M$ made sure those are turned on by default. I just don't need nor want to see those options on my

PC.

While I want to keep phones out of my PC, wouldn't mind Xbox emulator. IIRC, RDR was available also on old Xbox, right?

*Angry Rant*

I just wish they didn't put the carrot of obsoleting previous windows versions if you are a gamer by not making directx upgrades available. That pisses me off. I like windows 7, and recently switched from good old Vista, and now they want to try and force me to go to windows 10. Additionally, I don't want auto updates, that is bullshit. Total and utter B.S.

And so the newest bullshit is forcing you to buy the more expensive professional windows version just to be able to stop auto updates. My God. What shameless assholes. If they gave the upgrades of directx to Vista, I would have stayed with vista. I like hanging on to my operating system, getting used to it and familiar with it, and not changing it every year or two that Microsoft wants to release some new version, to try and get your money.

Long story short, I will put off upgrading to win 10 for as long as possible, and then, and only then, when good games come out that actually use directx 12 tech and make use of it, along with graphic cards, which will probably be years away, then I will pony up the money and buy the stupid Win 10 pro version. And then promptly download classic shell and try to revert all the stupid changes Microsoft no doubt has made again to the operating system, and for no good reason.

and P.S. - look what a quick search found, the auto updates are already causing "serious problems", quoting a news article yesterday about it > Windows 10 Automatic Updates Causing Serious New Problems:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/27/windows-10-automatic-update-security-problems/

Maxim is listing where you can get updated drivers for all your stuff if you would like to get updated before doing the upgrade:
http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-graphics-cards-and-motherboard-drivers-updating/

PC Gamer posted a link to the article and promptly started a big fight on whether it's worth upgrading your BIOS or not.
Just ignore that fight.
If your machine had no problems running win7/8, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade BIOS because of win10.
A reason to upgrade BIOS is if you want to downgrade win8 to win7 and BIOS lacks of setting to allow that, where a new BIOS version does have it. Some laptops have win7 locked out permanently and you can't install win7 ever, even after BIOS upgrade.
I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade BIOS, feel free to do it, but it's just optional, not something you should do right away.

That list there is great as it links to MoBo win10 drivers as many of them won't be automatically installed with win10, instead win10 will use drivers from previous OS installation (older ones). Theoretically all should work without problems. Some probably won't. :)
Eventually Microsoft will add them to their wsus system, but for now, you can easily grab fresh drivers through that list.

and P.S. - look what a quick search found, the auto updates are already causing "serious problems", quoting a news article yesterday about it > Windows 10 Automatic Updates Causing Serious New Problems:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/27/windows-10-automatic-update-security-problems/
Will you please ignore "spectacular" headlines? Breaking news is wifi keysharing NSA spying idiocy, not some bug that noone will see apart from beta testers.
Besides, you can block/uninstall any update. Regardles of win10 version.

Did I say it here? Or on another site(s)?
If you're on win7, no reason to rush with the upgrade on win10.
If on win8, do the upgrade, immediately!

I have win 8.1 pro now but I want to do a clean install of win10(boot from usb stick, format HDs then install). If it ask for key, do I enter my win 8.1 pro key? Will that work?

I have win 8.1 pro now but I want to do a clean install of win10(boot from usb stick, format HDs then install). If it ask for key, do I enter my win 8.1 pro key? Will that work?

Upgrade first and it will give you a win 10 key. At least it did in the win 10 preview version.

Then I assume you'd use that key for a clean install. I haven't done a clean install yet though so I'm not 100% sure.

Explanation here (well via an ISO but it should be similar).

Thanks both for the answers. So effectively I have to upgrade first then do a clean install. I was hoping to avoid the upgrade step...

Thanks both for the answers. So effectively I have to upgrade first then do a clean install. I was hoping to avoid the upgrade step…

If it makeS you feel any better it's quick and painless. ( my experience at least)

Upgraded a month ago and haven't had any issues. Will do a clean install but haven't had time.

@Joxer: One (small?) thing that I have no illusion that you will ever take into account.

In this thread you provide a lot of information about upgrading to Winsows 8, which is quite useful. I get the impression that you know what you are talking about. Then there is your personal vendetta (passionate hatred) against Windows 8. When you mix those two in the same thread, it is a bit difficult (for me at least) to decide what is what. See my point?

Just my thoughts. As I said. I don't think you will take this into account. And also, as I said, I have - for some reason - decided to partly follow your orders on my laptop. :)

pibbur

If it makeS you feel any better it's quick and painless. ( my experience at least)

Upgraded a month ago and haven't had any issues. Will do a clean install but haven't had time.

It was indeed! It took just under 10 min to upgrade to win10 and another 10 for clean install. Very impressed. There was a time new installs used to take hours!

@Joxer: One (small?) thing that I have no illusion that you will ever take into account.

In this thread you provide a lot of information about upgrading to Winsows 8, which is quite useful. I get the impression that you know what you are talking about. Then there is your personal vendetta (passionate hatred) against Windows 8. When you mix those two in the same thread, it is a bit difficult (for me at least) to decide what is what. See my point?

Just my thoughts. As I said. I don't think you will take this into account. And also, as I said, I have - for some reason - decided to partly follow your orders on my laptop. :)

pibbur
Erm…
About upgrading to windows 10. ;)
I never suggested upgrading to windows 8.
Sadly new machines usually came with win8 preinstalled or some were locked not to allow installation of any older windows on them. For example, you can't install windows7 on Asus x751MD laptop so if you bought that one, your win7 disc can go into the trashcan and you must buy win8.
It was indeed! It took just under 10 min to upgrade to win10 and another 10 for clean install. Very impressed. There was a time new installs used to take hours!
SSD is the new king of hardware. ;)

Sorry, two typos. Windows 8 in stead of 10, and "winsows" in stead of "windows".

pibbur who would never dream (except in nightmares) of accusing the joxer of recommending upgrade to win 8. :)

I like Windows 10 thus far, but I've experienced some bugs. I can't download anything on the App Store, my task bar has disappeared, desktop has locked up and sometimes files such as pictures or movies open and then immediately close. I'm sure in the long run this will be a great operating system. Right now I still do like it but I really need to spend more time with it to get a better feel for it.

Dunno anything about App Store, I don't plan to use that "let's copypaste iPhone and android stores" garbage.

Ignore builtin media players, Microsoft never knew how to make them properly.
For pics - install IrfanView
For movies - install VLC (a friend of mine says GOM also works great)
Tested by me although I'm not using it as I use VLC for that too, for music good old Winamp 2.95 works like a charm.

Not sure what do you mean by desktop lockup and disappeared taskbar, but this might work:
https://www.techmesto.com/fix-start-menu-broken-windows-10-technical-preview/

Back
Top Bottom