Sui Generis - Post-Funding Update #28

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Missed this update of Sui Generis in which they talk about The Underworld, the dead, damage and equipment mechanics and combat.

Until recently we focused mostly on outdoor environments which in many ways are the most technically challenging. Because we're such a small team with one programmer we generally have to focus on one thing at a time and the underworld had taken a back seat. Developing the prelude we found ourselves confronted with some issues that had been neglected and reviewing things that we weren't satisfied with.

You might remember we promised a vast and sprawling underworld, it's all interconnected rather than being many distinct environments. It's also very deep and it changes as you go deeper. The concept remains the same but our early design now seems too basic and not to the standards that the game is shaping up to.

Our first goal was to introduce more variation in the common structural graphics. We improved the modular system through which the environment is constructed and developed a tool that allows us to create these environments extremely quickly and interactively while providing an intuitive workflow, this means that we can focus on and experiment with design rather than getting bogged down in the work itself. We've improved and adapted our existing assets to this new system and we're developing new ones with fresh insights.
More information.

It sure looks good, and I like what I'm reading. Hopefully they don't run out of money...

WOW! They have done an amazing job, looks like Sui Generis will be the blockbuster indie success that Double Fine or Wasteland 2 should have been!!

We still haven't seen actual gameplay, and have very little infos about gameworld, plot, npcs, companions, dialogues etc.

So I'd be a little cautious about what Sui Generis some day will be. ;)

I've always liked the visuals of Sui Generis, from the very start. But engine and combat just isn't enough to convince me.

Well this game as a game might be a dud like forsake fortress; but I won't feel so bad if it does become a dud as so far these guys get an A for effort.

We still haven't seen actual gameplay, and have very little infos about gameworld, plot, npcs, companions, dialogues etc.

Yeah. I definitely need to hear more about these things before getting too excited. It looks pretty good so far, but we'll see.

Well it seems clear that their strengths are the artwork, combat, graphics and maybe world design but not so much story and writing. I'm fine with that as long as they do a good job at the action oriented gameplay! I hope they don't try to force bad story and dialogs on us as a way to attempt to balance what should be a combat heavy game.

This is from their KS campaign:

Believable fiction. Carefully crafted and researched so it feels authentic down to the smallest detail, the world of Sui Generis will draw you in and captivate you with its depth and complexity.
Non Linear Story. Write your own story. Create your own character and then interact with the world and events as you see fit. Who knows what might happen? It's not written, it's up to you.
Reactive characters. Characters and creatures do not have fixed roles. They will react to anything you say or do, how you dress and what tone you set. We're putting the word Character in NPC.

That's what I'm missing. I just hope they take their time to design and implemented it as they intended to instead of rushing a pretty combat simulator.

I tried the new combat demo….it still feels very awkward and clunky to me. Perhaps I was not doing the right thing - there were no instructions - but landing a blow and blocking did not seem intuitive. I'm glad to see they have moved away from entirely physics based combat (good!), but I am not reassured. I supported this when I was new to KS ;-) - not sure I would do so now.

I tried the new combat demo….it still feels very awkward and clunky to me. Perhaps I was not doing the right thing - there were no instructions - but landing a blow and blocking did not seem intuitive. I'm glad to see they have moved away from entirely physics based combat (good!), but I am not reassured. I supported this when I was new to KS ;-) - not sure I would do so now.

Thank You for this info: combat controls should be intuitive so anyone can easily play and most importantly have fun even with the alpha, if they want the game to sell.

Back
Top Bottom