RPGWatch - Best PC RPGs of the 1990s Poll

Why is Final Fantasy VII on that list of (what appears to be) Western/PC (non-console) RPGs?

Final Fantasy VII was one of the best FF games, and was not a console exclusive.
I played the PC version in 1998 which was far superior to the PS1 version due to the fast load times, and the bump in resolution with anti-aliasing.

My favourites would be (in no particular order):
  • Fallout 1 and 2 - Amazing atmosphere and world.
  • System Shock 1 and 2 - Not exactly RPGs, but incredible games.
  • Betrayal at Krondor - The game mechanics just felt so RIGHT.
  • Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 - Incredible, immersive game-play.
  • Syndicate - Not really an RPG, but super violent, emergent game play. The AI sucked, however.
  • The Elder Scrolls: Arena - It was HUGE!
  • Ultima VIII - A personal favourite. It had excellent atmosphere, though many seem not to rate it.

I really can't understand why so many people love Baldur's Gate so much :furious: I've tried to get into it multiple times, but it always seemed really shallow and dull to me… Maybe I just never gave it enough of a chance.

The only other game on the list I would have voted for is Eye Of The Beholder. I really miss the old days of having to draw maps using a pencil and paper; I'm not sure I would want to go back to that, however!

Last edited:
My favourites would be (in no particular order):

I really can't understand why so many people love Baldur's Gate so much :furious: I've tried to get into it multiple times, but it always seemed really shallow and dull to me… Maybe I just never gave it enough of a chance.

At first I found BG really tedious weird moving PC's with a steep learning curve on how to work all the controls and features. It was still better than Ultima 9 though. I only looked at it again after I really got into IWD. As it is, I rushed through BG. I really didn't like the lack of focus with it.

Ok if Jagged Alliance 2 is on the list as an RPG, it's #1 for me. I want to change my vote!

JA is a tactical strategy game I thought.

JA is a tactical strategy game I thought.

Well, it has 60+ Characters not only with Skills and Items but also with more Personality than most of the games before that.
It just does not have that much of an overarching story. But it should definitely count as an RPG for this list imho.

I voted these games.

1. Baldur’s Gate
  2. Fallout 2
  3. Ultima VII
  4. Planescape: Torment
  5. Fallout 1
  6. Betrayal at Krondor
  7. System Shock 2
  8. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  9. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

I wouldn't mind seeing a poll of the best party-based, single-player cRPGs of all time. But I can probably guess who the winners would be, so no matter.

This would be impossible to do, due to our(my) puny human minds but how about the best spell ever in an CRPG. I remember the first one that made me go WOW, but I can't even remember its name. It was from one of the early Wizardrys and it took out "all lines" of the enemy. Down goes 99 fighters, Down goes 25 Trolls, Down goes 12 High Wizards. And for my troubles I got a cursed shield that takes away 2 AC. Awwwww, good times . . . .

Best Spell I cal think of a few for Dajjer. I've always found the "Lloyd's Beacon" spells of the Might and Magic series to be one of, if not my favorite.

For pure combat value, I think Time Stop from BG2 (especially with Improved Alacrity). Nothing made me feel as powerful as using that spell. And nothing made me as horrified at what I've done in a game as finding out that it didn't work against Amelysan at the end of ToB (while still having the rest of my party frozen).. ugh!

I won't vote until I can put one in for Might & Magic VII: For Blood and Honor, as I consider it the best game of the 90s, regardless of genre. I loved it then and I love it now. It's fantastic.

I won't vote until I can put one in for Might & Magic VII: For Blood and Honor, as I consider it the best game of the 90s, regardless of genre. I loved it then and I love it now. It's fantastic.
Yep I wanted to vote for M&M 7 as one of my votes too, but couldn't.

JA2 should be on the list too. It's just as much an RPG as some of the other games on the list. It would have also got one of my votes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_Magic_VII:_For_Blood_and_Honor

When I was doing my top 10 I looked for it and just assumed it came out in the 2000s. I was wrong and you are right. It was my 3rd best RPG of the 90s and is easily in my top 10 RPGs of all time. I now consider this poll a sham.

Edit: I replayed 6-8 last year - and I'm in the middle of a 6 replay now. All those M&Ms still work as far as good gaming.

Last edited:
Yep, they're all great. All that's needed to play them even today is GOG install -> GrayFace patch -> good to go.

nice to see the first Dark Sun so far up the list.

But, honestly guys: if UVII doesn't win this poll is rigged. :p

The obvious choices were:

Baldurs Gate
Fallout 1 & 2
Darklands
Torment

Then I added both Ultima Underworlds (it is odd to see the second one rated lower, it is a significantly better game)

I also quite liked the first Darksun game (a game that, interface aside, has most of the features one would look for in a modern title)

Then I added Champions of Krynn (nostalgia, the first RPG I played extensively and explored completely) and Pools of Darkness (objectively the best Goldbox title). My favourite Goldbox game is Pool of Radiance though, since it felt more open world than the others.

Back
Top Bottom