Black isle is back !!!!!

1. No word about it on Obsidian forum

2. Back in old days and on old BIS forum I asked what happened with Torn and one of BIS employees replied (sorry but now I simply can't remember which one, it could have been Feargus himself) that cancelling Torn was not Interplay's idea but developers decided that - everything about it felt completely wrong so it was better to scrap it than sell a junk later. And sorry but BIS forums are down for ages and I can't find it on http://archive.org/web/web.php to show it now. :(

Whatever on those three links is, Obsidian has nothing to do with it and forget Torn.

If this is a joke I'm serious I will kill you. If it's not who will be in it and what will they make? This isn't 1999 anymore.

Dunno guys, this is right out of left field. Over at the Dex we are all scratching our butts wondering WTF Haerve is up to. Check out the link to the Dex, it has some info Codexians dug up.

It's not much though.

Honestly, some of us think Haerve is pissed at the new Baldurs Gate enhanced editions coming out, and is going to do something similar to get cheap money...

Meh… All BIS games are still awsome and playable. Yea, graphics there looks silly compared to some recent games, but they don't need any rework if you ask me.
If something really needs a remake, definetly graphics and maybe combat system, that's Anachronox - and it's not a BIS game.

Dude, it's not about what NEEDS repeating. It's about money.

Also, a relrelease might catch the attention of the young faGGot generation, who started playing relationship simulators in the mid 2000's churned out by Biowhore, and think they know what rpgs are about.

Herve is probably following at least one two dominant industry trends at the moment:
- remakes
- F2P

It's insulting how business execs sell off a name with no plans beyond milking it dry of any respect it once had. It's Atari all over again.

Ok, an update stolen from the Codex News Item on this titillating bit of new:

Update

Here are some twitter comments from former Black Islanders:

Josh Sawyer: lol black isle lol
Brian Fargo: A game division is obviously only as good as the talent it employs.
Chris Avellone: I know nothing about the Black Isle Studio news announcement, doesn't involve me or Obsidian... or well, anyone that I know.

Meanwhile, Trent Oster of Overhaul Games retweets the following:
Black Isles is back! Is this somehow connected to BGEE or might be?
And adds:
Excellent question.

But Black Isle didn't make the BG games, and Trent Oster didn't work there! This new Black Isle doesn't even own the Fallout IP anymore, which was its crown jewel…I don't really see the point. Nothing against Oster, since I love Bioware's old RPG's.

Black Isle published the Baldurs Gate crpgs. Don't u recall their logo coming up after Bioware's when u started up the games?

So this is probably a cheap attempt to pump up hype for the new extended editions for the ipad and (i think) computer. Herve is desperate for money, dontcha know.

Yeah, but I said that Black Isle didn't 'make' the BG games, so I don't really get the revival of the brand name. Are they going to publish their new overhaul remakes under the Black Isle label?

I doubt it - I thought Atari held the publishing rights to BG now (hence the Atari logo on the BG Enhanced Edition website). No sign of any Interplay/Black Isle logo.

Not sure about the other D&D titles (IWD & Torment) though? Could be the reason for Trent Oster's cryptic comment.

An update of IWD could be cool, since those were fun games, but not really very dear to me overall. If there is another Planescape game, I would much rather it be developed by Obsidian or something, but who knows, maybe this new Black Isle could do something cool with it. However, Avellone keeps hinting that he eventually plans to do a spiritual successor to Planescape, so that interests me a lot more :)

Yes I agree, it would be great for Avellone/Sawyer to catch the Kickstarter bug, it would definitely be a project I'd pay towards.

Back
Top Bottom