Teeny Tiny Steam Rant

Dwagginz

Tea Addict
I know you're probably sick of people ranting about Steam, and I'm one of them myself, but it's really starting to wind me up now.

In the past two weeks (Roughly), I've noticed three or more mistakes.
1. King's Bounty: Crossworlds unlocked upon pre-purchase and was playable (It was also selling at half its retail price).
2. Steam haven't distributed the hotfix for Crossworlds.
3. The editor download didn't appear for a few days (Although it showed when it unlocked early).
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light also unlocked early.

I wouldn't say I'm losing faith in Steam, but I'm getting a tad annoyed with them. Sometimes a game doesn't exit properly, or it doesn't load as "efficently" as it could. Sometimes the Steam UI bugs out and won't work. GTA IV is bad on Steam. Why? Three methods of protection:
1) Steam.
2) GfWL (Which I don't mind, by the way).
3) Rockstar Social Club.
And I wonder why it doesn't perform too well.

It's not much of a rant, I know, and my issues with it aren't huge, but they're starting to add up. Surely two pre-purchase issues in two weeks should set off alarm bells?

I'm sure the anti-Steam brigade will turn up. In the meantime…

1. I simply don't get this one but perhaps I'm just slow. Why is it a problem that some people got it cheap and early?

2. Geez, OK. I understand some people get frustrated with Steam patching but it is what it is. I've seen them be much faster than other services and I've seen them much slower. You should know patches need to be packaged for Steam, so if that's an issue for you, don't use Steam. This patch is brand new - give it a chance.

3. OK, fair enough.

4. Another "huh"? But maybe I'm missing the issue.

Oh, and GTA4 is shit on any system. It's a dog. That a Steam program is protected by Steam is essentially automatic with the platform. Surely the blame lies with Rockstar for forcing the other two?

Sorry you're having problems with the UI; it works well for me.

1. I simply don't get this one but perhaps I'm just slow. Why is it a problem that some people got it cheap and early?
I was one of the lucky ones to get it cheap & early ;) It just shows incompetence on their part, in my opinion.

2. Geez, OK. I understand some people get frustrated with Steam patching but it is what it is. I've seen them be much faster than other services and I've seen them much slower. You should know patches need to be packaged for Steam, so if that's an issue for you, don't use Steam. This patch is brand new - give it a chance.
The 1C guys have said Steam have got the hotfix, so I'm not sure what (Exactly) is going on.

4. Another "huh"? But maybe I'm missing the issue.
The game isn't out until the 28th. It says "Pre-Purchase" but it's listed as releasing yesterday. It's a balls up.

Oh, and GTA4 is shit on any system. It's a dog. That a Steam program is protected by Steam is essentially automatic with the platform. Surely the blame lies with Rockstar for forcing the other two?
It's more of my problem than a problem with the game series. I don't even know why I actually brought that one up. Silly me!

Sorry you're having problems with the UI; it works well for me.
Normally it does for me, too, but for some reason it sometimes buggers up.

I have absolutenly no issues with Steam... ever!

Never used it, never will ;)

The 1C guys have said Steam have got the hotfix, so I'm not sure what (Exactly) is going on.

Steam has or at least used to have exactly one (that's right: O-N-E) guy doing some (or all?) of the patch conversions. This was revealed via an Ascaron spokesperson when the Steam patch for Sacred 2 suffered a delay last year.
So that Crossworlds hotfix that you are waiting for might have to wait for that dude to return from vacation or sick leave or whatever ;) .

Back
Top Bottom