Skyrim - The Geology

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This is a different slant - Geo-HeritageScience has a piece on the geology of Skyrim:
So what I want to do tonight is take you through a little tour of what I think the geology would be in Skyrim. Namely, I think looking at the process of questions a geologist asks themselves when working out the geology of an area, and applying this to something cool and accessible like Skyrim.
The first question to ask therefore is what? What kinds of rocks can you find in Skyrim? Luckily, for most of this work, there are a whole host of other people in the world who are much geekier than me who have actually taken and collated and all I have to do is ask the right questions!
More information.

What kinds of rocks can you find in Skyrim?
I usually find a rock that drops from somewhere without any reason and then starts stuttering and produces a chainsaw sound. And it's a magical rock. As the irritating sound can't be stopped by any means.

I need to check this out ... I studied this in RL long ago ! ;)

I usually find a rock that drops from somewhere without any reason and then starts stuttering and produces a chainsaw sound. And it's a magical rock. As the irritating sound can't be stopped by any means.

Fps limiter will stop that. Limit to 59. Unfortunate because I have 120 hz monitor but anything over 59 messes with physics for me.

Hehe, I once wrote geek science about the geography and geology of Morrowind myself. The TES lore forums were a great place for stuff like that. It can still be found on the net:

http://morrowind.ttlg.com/scholars/ghanburighan/article1.shtml
or
http://www.mwmythicmods.com/Archive...raphic survey expedition (Forum Scholars).htm

fun times!

I once wrote a comparison between diseases in MW and their (possible) real life counterparts. Don't remember much about it. Might do it again for Skyrim, although the diseases there seems mostly harmless compared to the nasty ones on Vvardenfell.

pibbur who

That was actually pretty fun! I like how the igneous rocks are over toward Morrowind.

Fps limiter will stop that.

Just playing the game as it's meant to be played - with v-sync turned on, fixes it too.. there's a reason why they dont have on/off for v-sync in the options, it's supposed to be on.

Very geeky and fun article :)

Just playing the game as it's meant to be played - with v-sync turned on, fixes it too.. there's a reason why they dont have on/off for v-sync in the options, it's supposed to be on.
Vsync helps immersion very much but sometimes introduces mouse input lag which some people find extremely annoying - especially those of us from an FPS background. Triple-buffering and maximum pre-buffered frames (or render ahead limit or something) are other settings to mess with when trying to fix input lag, though the latter can nuke framerate a fair bit and Skyrim wasn't terribly well-optimized the last time I looked.
Without the uberhardware to fix such problems you just have to choose why you're going to put your fist through the screen next time you die.

Hehe that's true, and it does introduce mouse lag, at least in the menus, but havent noticed it while running around in the world. Ordered a 4GB GTX 680 today to be able to play it with more mods, i feel my 580 isnt enough any longer :/

I haven't had to much trouble, I fiddled with the mouse settings to get something workable on the menus with VS on. I have a 4GB GTX 680 and its great ... although I got a bit addicted to mods and finally hit my limit so had to cut back a bit :p

A great article as well. Lot of fun to do things like that. Adds some real science to the game :)

@Vurt - Never recognized the name till now, if you are the same Vurt who does that kick-ass flora mod on Nexus :) Kudos on a great mod by the way.

Back
Top Bottom