Dragon Age - Second Trailer Up @ Gametrailers.com

Booooooooring.

Word has it that there's gonna be yet another teaser tomorrow. Oh, woe befall us...

I like both trailers a lot, but just like everyone else I'm still waiting for actual screenshots/gameplay footage. Still, this is about as much as we can expect before E3.

I enjoyed it. I was reading the comments both here and where the trailer was posted and saw some references about it being like lord of the rings.

Except, well come on - anytime your see medieval type armies, castles, and standard fantasy critters and people .... you could say hey thats a copy of Lord of the Rings. What isn't in that context? Not saying they didn't copy LOTR but on the other hand can't just assume it is either. So much medieval fantasy has been influenced by LOTR its hard to say one way or the other. Especially with such a short couple of clips to go on.

Except, well come on - anytime your see medieval type armies, castles, and standard fantasy critters and people .... you could say hey thats a copy of Lord of the Rings. What isn't in that context? Not saying they didn't copy LOTR but on the other hand can't just assume it is either. So much medieval fantasy has been influenced by LOTR its hard to say one way or the other. Especially with such a short couple of clips to go on.

Exactly what I was thinking. Almost any medieval-fantasy game that would present a 50 sec trailer would seem like a LOTRish game.

I disagree with that, although it is only a 30 sec trailer, so the comparison may turn out to be empty in the end. Do you really think a quick clip of, say, MotB would bring the same comments?

My personal feeling is that BioWare doesn't like to stray too much from the norms, because they believe a wider group of gamers will identify with familiar themes and archetypes. Perhaps DA is more daring - can't tell from this.

Anyway, better. It does show impressively large battles. Do they make it into the gameplay and how does that work?

I think the point of the trailers was to set a sense of war for the setting of DA.

You would have to be crazy thinking you would see gameplay footage in these trailers right before E3. As well, that is what E3 is for.

My only question is, were those scenes actual game rendered scenes, or movies?

I actually think there hasn't been a goood LOTR copy in a CRPG yet (e.g. in the sense of scale and histroy of the land, or the seamless intermeshing of party based adventuring into a gigantic war on a continental scale) - so if they can get that right, it would actually be quite something.

My personal feeling is that BioWare doesn't like to stray too much from the norms, because they believe a wider group of gamers will identify with familiar themes and archetypes. Perhaps DA is more daring - can't tell from this.

You're right Dhruin but I believe DA is the result of this thinking from some of the explanations from Bio themselves.

To them the weak sales of Planescape and Fallout are proof that different doesn't sell as well as their insistence on making it a class based game with dwarves and elves. Its also why the focus will be on the solo player with any multiplayer or toolset (at least to the public) said to be an afterthought. The very name Dragon Age wreaks of playing itself despite their philosophical defenses if it.

I actually think there hasn't been a goood LOTR copy in a CRPG yet (e.g. in the sense of scale and histroy of the land, or the seamless intermeshing of party based adventuring into a gigantic war on a continental scale) - so if they can get that right, it would actually be quite something.

Yepp. And this isn't an all to easy campaign to set up. We tried it once in a PnP RPG Group. It was really fun but needed a lot of work to make believe. More so than a 'normal' campaign.

Looks nice in the GUI screenshot.

From the trailers I was worried that this might be a RTS/RPH hybrid. These (new)screenshots, however, have put my fears to rest - at least somewhat.

I like the isometric perspective in combat as well the lightning (spell?) coming from one of the character's hands in one of the screenshots. The GUI looks just like Baldur's Gateor PS: Torment, I agree :)

Perhaps patrick will drop by with some elucidation!!

Back
Top Bottom