RPGWatch Feature: A Long And Disappointing Summer

What no Alpha Protocol? I understand some of the complaints but in my opinion it was the best RPG since The Witcher. It's what I played most of the summer. The quality of the writing and the choices & consequences from AP are the only reason I'm even considering F3:NV. I think Obsidian "gets" RPGs.

I've been replaying KB:TL since I got it as a pre-purchase with Crossworlds and despite multiple recent AP playthroughs I'd forgotten truly great this series is. I'm excited to finish my current TL game so I can start on Crossworlds.

Other than those two though, from where I'm standing, the future's not looking any brighter than the past year. I liked Drakensang but I'm not holding my breath on ever seeing RoT. Witcher 2 is next year. The big three ( four if you count Fable) releases recently highlighted for this fall are all 1st or 3rd person action RPGs that all sound very dumbed down.

Maybe I'm being a little doom & gloom here but I think everything us old timers feared would happen when the console kids took over the market and publishers saw a lot more money in horse armor DLCs, has happened. The Witcher renewed my faith in CRPGs when it came out, I'm going to be heartbroken if The Witcher 2 stinks.

Sorry, bad analogy. If Bioware offers DLC it isn''t going to kill the planet if other people do buy them.

Dragon Age was fine as it was released with no DLC required.

Can kill the hobby though.

Hardly a good comparison. Cars that pollute is comparable to 2nd hand smoking - it's bad for you even if you're not the one buying it.

DLCs do not affect you in a similar way if you don't buy them. They're like overpriced candy - if you want to buy some, good for you. Otherwise, stay away from it.

I disagree.

People buy DLC = they support DLC, meaning they take from those who don't want DLC.

I believe DLC is VERY bad for the industry. No, scratch that, it's very bad for the consumer who cares about gaming.

In effect, people buying DLC are polluting the industry.

Naturally, that's just my opinion.

Sorry, bad analogy. If Bioware offers DLC it isn''t going to kill the planet if other people do buy them.

Dragon Age was fine as it was released with no DLC required.

Killing the planet?

No, just hurting the industry. Bad enough, though.

What Dragon Age was upon release, and what DLC is doing to the industry are two entirely different things.

We don't have to agree, though, and I'm just saying what I think about it.

I believe DLC is VERY bad for the industry. No, scratch that, it's very bad for the consumer who cares about gaming..

I don't know, I think Bioware and Obsidian have shown that there is money to be made from DLC, but only if the original game is very popular. You have to really love a game to think of getting your wallet out again for another taste of it six months later.

If that means that companies are willing to risk more investment in making a great original game because that will allow them to make a much bigger return rinsing die hard fans . . . well, it might not be great for the people choosing to get rinsed but it does mean that there's more emphasis on making a good, big original game.

And 3 million lines of rambling crazy talk starting... now-

I consider Obsidian… …indies they even create much better games with 1/10000 of the resources.

First let me say that what follows is a rambling mess that I wrote before having any coffee today. That being said, I said a few things in here that I feel somewhat confident about and now that I have had a couple cups of coffee I can not sit still long enough to trim it down. Forgive the ineffectively self-medicating, coffee-habit-abusing, incessantly-rambling, OCD-having nerd that I am.

Obsidian is an odd case. They're small and relatively lightweight compared to bioware, let alone EA. That's true enough, but they have almost always been saddled together with one or more fairly massive companies for publishing if not also co-development. This is because the lion's share of their 7 announced titles (2 of which are upcoming, 5 previously released) are sequels or expansions to existing games using the same engine- updated to various degrees.

Of those 7 titles, 4 involved games where the engine was licensed from bio-ware, the rules were licensed from wizards of the coast, and the publishing was done by another company altogether. The settings in those 4 games (their 4 most critically well received) was also licensed rather than created in house.

Even though BioWare and the publisher (Atari for the NWN 2 main game and expansions and LucasArts for KOTOR 2) handled much of the logistics of coordinating the various partnerships and licensing arrangements, I still think that the weight of multiple juggernaught corporations getting involved in the marketting and scheduling created fairly unique challenges for Obsidian.

Perhaps this is why Obsidian games tend to have a strange blend of ambitious branching quests and rushed-feeling endings. In the case of KOTOR 2 I think the weight of both EA (with Bioware as a subsidiary) and LucasArts contributed to the admitted rushed end-game and numerous technical faults that still have only 3rd party solutions and/or require manually inserting lines into the configuration files.

Anyways, long rambling story short, Obsidian games feel like they lay somewhere between the mainstream Bioware internally developed RPGs and indie RPGs. They get the big name intellectual property to use in their games, have the small indie developer focus on the vision and feel for the game, but also suffer the pitfalls of both large and small developments. They have a very limited amount of resources both in terms of bodies in chairs and cash in the bank so content is often unfinished or simply cut at the last minute when another developer might have the resources to juggle to accelerate some parts of development to make up for others lagging. At the same time they do not have the luxury to simply wait until they're finished as truly independent developers would as they are beholden to other companies not just for publishing and distribution, but also their right to use the technology and intellectual property in the game.

I do like most of what Obsidian has done and I definitely agree that they do some of the most important parts better than Bioware. At the same time, even when they have done certain aspects better than BioWare- they were still highly dependent on BioWare for both technology and intellectual property. So really, most people's favorite Obsidian developed games are still very much tethered to BioWare (or if you don't like BioWare, you may be more inclined to say "infected by.")

My enthusiastic enjoyment of Obsidian's ability to create content for other people's technology is partly why I'm so excited about Fallout New Vegas. It's not somebody else's setting for a lot of the big shots at Obsidian- it was the only series they had developed both the content AND technology for when they were at Black Isle. So it's not like they have to read somebody else's literature to write the world and the characters. It's also one of the first Obsidian games where it actually seems like they and their larger corporate partner both had the same idea about how long it would take and were both pretty much right on the money. I suppose for Bethesda, who likes to take 4 years to develop a game, they weren't exactly equipped to be screaming at someone about a tight deadline. It also helps that they have had to do relatively little work with the technology nor have they had to do quite the amount of new-art creation as they had to with NWN 2.

They're a hybridization between the world of litigious intellectual property holders like WoTC and Lucas, the world of bottom-line obsessed mega-corps like EA, and the world of… whatever we want to call companies like Atari. I'm hoping they're figuring out how to balance it though because I always love the first 90% of any of the Obsidian games I've played. If they can keep it like that the last 10% then they I'd be happy to call them my favorite RPG developer. Indie? No, they're too much like a freelance content producer for the big companies to be called indie.

I felt the "expansions" comments were unwarranted, to be honest. Germany has had Flames of Vengeance for what, a month? We get it November. That's about a 2 month gap - And to be honest, I'd rather wait 2 months for it if it means it'll get a good translation and perhaps some extra testing.

If it's that latest one (Flames in Destiny?) for Spellforce 2, then I'm kinda confused. Amazon UK lists it as an April 2010 release w/ a 1-3 month dispatch wait. How odd.

Bang on about Drakensang, though. I felt it was an unfair point because we've not even got Drakensang: TRoT, so mention of the expansion would be largely pointless.

As for Obsidian (To the above posters), I think their biggest problem is a string of bad publishers, *especially* LucasArts. I think they had, overall, 18 months to create KotOR 2. Including R&D. Yeah...

That's why I'm so optimistic about New Vegas. Ignoring who's on the Obsidian staff, it's more to do with Bethesda. I've heard from a couple of developers that they're a great publisher. Yes, I think as a developer they're very hit and miss, but I've little reason to be worried about New Vegas. It can't be much worse than #3.

I agree with a lot of the article regarding the DLC scam and the disturbing trends overall in rpgs. But about Arcania being promising based on demo? No way, I thought it was a good example of the poor direction of recent rpgs that the article mentioned. Fallout Vegas does look promising as well as Two Worlds 2. I can forgive Bioware for the DLC nonsense because of how much value they gave in terms of length of the original non-DLC added Dragon Age game. I didn't and wouldn't buy any DLC but hopefully it is not a trend that will continue too prevalently in the future. Otherwise, I won't be buying many rpgs any more if most of them are cut into small DLC pieces on purpose to nickel and dime the rpg enthusiasts.

It is known that I don't have same taste as others here about bioware games, the only one I liked was Jade Empire. But anyway the things I mentioned would go no matter if you are a fan of their games or not.

I consider Obsidian , Piranha Bytes ( don't blaim them for gothic 3, jowood and dreamcatcher never managed to publish something complete ), indies they even create much better games with 1/10000 of the resources. Even if I hated Oblivion I even hold Bethsoft over Bioware. The only ones of the ones mentioned that made games I acctually liked was Piranha Bytes and indies though…. :D

What I've been reading about New Vegas has me very hopeful that I might not have to mod the heck out of it to play a truly great rpg.

But Beth over Bioware…..eeeggghhaaddd. We have very different tastes in gaming.;) I like Beth to an extent, but I always have to play their games a certain way, like right after I've had a lobotomy. Bioware at least gets me engaged in their stories. Even the horrible OC on NWN 1 was better than anything that Beth has come up with.

I couldn't agree more about the indies and hope to god I see more of them popping up. I'm looking forward to AOD, Dead State and yours. Only thing about indies is they have a habit of dying out before they are completed. Like the recent Cthulhu game that went nowhere.

Gaming is very subjective, so thank you for clarifying what you would consider a better developer. For me it's still Bioware. Until they leave me in the dust like Origin did when they went online/sold to EA. Which is probably where we are headed with KOTOR online and the recent announcement that they're looking for people for some military FPS.…god, like we need another one of those. I really hope the setting is in WW2. We just don't have enough of those type of games on the market….oohhh better yet, another terrorist FPS. We need those ;) Sorry, couldn't help putting in a little bit of sarcastic humor.

Last edited:
First let me say that what follows is a rambling mess that I wrote before having any coffee today.

jhwisner: If you write thsat clearly before coffee, you should be writing editorials, not reading them! :)

Thank you for a very interesting persperctive. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

LuckyCarbon said "What no Alpha Protocol?"

Sorry, I heard mixed reviews on AP, some negative and several as positiver as yours. However, I never played it so am not qualified to judge it. You well could be right.

LuckyCarbon said "What no Alpha Protocol?"

Sorry, I heard mixed reviews on AP, some negative and several as positiver as yours. However, I never played it so am not qualified to judge it. You well could be right.

I hated AP to it's core. I stopped playing it after about 2 days. The gameplay was just horrible, imo.

Btw, glad you put on the cloak of flame protection ;) Seems like you didn't need it. The conversation has wandered into the DLC debate….again…..

Bad article. Did you get paid by Jowood to pimp Arcania so hard? Because y'know, that demo was a piece of shit. How can anyone on this site trust anything you say now?

Terrible article.

Terrible participation in the thread congratulations you added nothing.

The only 'bad' mark I give this article is having me look up the world 'curmudgeon.' :p

Also, I really agree on the part of the article discussing young peoples' view of 'stealing' games. Somehow, I guess because you steal by click-click-clicking instead of walking into a retail store and physically stealing a game, that many people just don't get it that they are in fact stealing.

I'm afraid the author of the article is correct that online drm is here to stay because the entire drm issue is a two way street. Gamers ask publishers to 'trust' them by not including invasive drm, but too many gamers do not reciprocate the trust and steal games online.

When I was a young adult, you could drink beer on the beach. Then came the drunken brawls. Eventually came the gang fights with shootings and stabbings. Guess what? No more having a beer at the beach on a warm summer day. That's what happens when people can't control themselves and justify bad behavior with stupid arguments.

Oh dear, it sounds like I've become a curmudgeon.

Bioware is one of the greatest rpg developers out there.That is a fact.But like any company you reach the top and stop caring about what your customers want.Right now its all about simplifying and making money.There will come a time when the studio will fall but when time will tell.

"I absolutely hate online DRM, yet wonder how anything else will ever work with a mindset like this among the new generation of gamers. I wonder, 10 years from now when these kids are 25ish -- what percent of them will pay for ANY game that is released without invasive DRM?"

I don't want to start this one up again, but I just don't see how this makes sense. I have yet to see a DRM that can stop those students from finding any game they want, for free, in 5 minutes- and often in the same day/week of release. All those draconian measures that bother you (and me) so much have zero effect on cracked versions of single player games. I'm not offering a solution here; I'm just saying that I have less sympathy for the concept of DRM as a viable solution. I would like to believe that company loyalty would help, but for that you need good products and rational consumers (not holding my breath for either).

I have yet to see a DRM that can stop those students from finding any game they want, for free, in 5 minutes- and often in the same day/week of release. All those draconian measures that bother you (and me) so much have zero effect on cracked versions of single player games. I'm not offering a solution here; I'm just saying that I have less sympathy for the concept of DRM as a viable solution. I would like to believe that company loyalty would help, but for that you need good products and rational consumers (not holding my breath for either).

Technology and the way the internet itself operates will change until casual pirating is all but impossible. You're correct that just about anyone today can find and pirate content on the net fairly easily. But that is based on today's reality. There is so much money involved in piracy (this is not just a gaming problem, but a media problem) that, unless people can actually behave themselves, technology will keep changing until you just can't pirate, at least casually, anymore.

Technology and the way the internet itself operates will change until casual pirating is all but impossible. You're correct that just about anyone today can find and pirate content on the net fairly easily. But that is based on today's reality. There is so much money involved in piracy (this is not just a gaming problem, but a media problem) that, unless people can actually behave themselves, technology will keep changing until you just can't pirate, at least casually, anymore.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on "casual" piracy? Most pirates, that I know of, don't write code, or even batch files, they rely on a product manipulated by a professional "hacker" designed to have a fairly simple install process. So they could be considered casual pirates, again, made possible by a pro in the background. Do you see this changing? I do not disagree, for a moment, with the concept that market forces are a powerful motivator for a solution.

RPG is dead. There, I said it. What we have now and will have for a long time is just action games with a few stats here and there, with lots of questions for you to answer (the new definition of RPGness).

Back
Top Bottom