GOG - Strife Veterans Edition Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GOG have a new classic FPS-RPG game from NightDive Studios called Strife Veterans Edition which has a new release discount of 50% lasting until May 24, 1:59 PM UTC.

About: Hailed as the original FPS-RPG game that spawned countless imitators, The Original Strife: Veteran Edition is a love letter to the classic from 1996. Immerse yourself in this all-consuming epic quest that for the first time combines riveting role-playing adventure with the spectacular Doom 3D engine! An evil presence has implanted itself in the fabric of our world. Play the role of spy, assassin, warrior and thief as you are lured into the darkest and most perilous adventure of your life. You'll have Blackbird on your side - a seductive underground agent that will provide you with clues as you encounter progressively more sinister foes.
Be strong, and trust no one.
FULLY INTERACTIVE WORLD
The elaborate virtual environment offers 28 interconnected levels covering over 200 square miles. Explore medieval towns and industrial complexes filled with pitfalls and perils, ending in a final confrontation that will reveal the planet's darkest secrets. AN AWESOME ARSENAL
From the silent but lethal crossbow to the breathtaking flame thrower, you'll toast, mince and vaporize your opponents in your search to control the ultimate weapon of mass destruction - the Sigil.
NAIL-BITING NARRATIVE
In your role as resistance fighter, you'll conspire with allies to demolish the fanatical ranks of the order from the inside out. Provides an engaging complex storyline and a multitude of dramatic voice-overs.
New Features Include:

• Completion of missing and unfinished options in the original game, such as: the planned "Capture the Chalice" multi-player mode, marking of current objectives on the auto-map, and special HUD for the Torpedo weapon
  • Support for high resolutions, with proper aspect ratio
  • OpenGL for video backend to provide portability and support for vertical sync
  • Dynamic lighting and bloom
  • Widescreen support
  • Ability to freely rebind all keyboard, mouse, and gamepad inputs
  • Achievements

More information.

From GOG
"The original version is included in a zip folder called "strife-dos," complete with DOS executable."

I wonder what took them so long to get this on GOG. I purchased it on Steam more than 2 years ago.

I wonder what took them so long to get this on GOG. I purchased it on Steam more than 2 years ago.

It was released on Steam December 12 2014, so its quite an achievement that you bought it more than two years ago ;)

Well, I do agree that it took its sweet time to get to GOG but its great that it finally did.

It was released on Steam December 12 2014, so its quite an achievement that you bought it more than two years ago ;)

Well, I do agree that it took its sweet time to get to GOG but its great that it finally did.

Yeah, I misread my account info the first time I checked it. Steam says I purchased it 12/16/2014. :)

Especially when the press release at the time said it would be released on GOG in the coming weeks.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ditionrdquofromnbspNight_Dive_Studiosnbsp.php

I still have the original. It was a different game than the other FPS at the time as it had some RPG elements and the ability to interact with NPCs. I got the new version a while back as part of a bundle but haven't replayed it yet.

Well, it's a Doom engine game. Probably the last game using that engine to come out.

I found the gameplay to be fun, but it's really just Doom with some environment interaction, a simple NPC conversation system, multi-way level transitions, and a couple of instances where the world itself changes. There are even a few places where your choices make a differences.

If you're expecting "modern" gameplay, you aren't going to get it. I think that's quite a positive as I really like the classic Doom formula and the additions they made didn't take away from anything.

I found the level design to be quite good for the most part and I liked the weapons. I can't speak for the high resolution textures in the new version as I played with the original WADs in one of the modern Doom engines several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom