Any fun FPS games that you've played

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I need a break from RPG, That town in Drakensang is killing me with all the slow running around back and forth. What kicked it was going through all those levels to get to the king rat and then having no way to defeat him. I'm just not high enough, both in the game and in life ;)

Anyways, I find myself wanting to play something that gets the addrenaline going, but I haven't been paying attention to what is out lately that is any good.

Can you guys recomend a rather good FPS, I would prefer to stay away from WW2 games. I've had enough of killing Nazis to last me a lifetime. But anything else would sure be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oh I should mention that I already passed FEAR 2 in about 3.5 secons. Man that game was short.

Edit: thank you to whoever deleted my double post. I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Star Wars Battlefront I, for a more darker look ("where are the colours ???") (and it plays a bit differently, too) take SWBF II.

Thanks Alrik, I've been eyeing that for awhile now. Maybe I'll break down and get it.

It's even better if you're a fan of that movies. ;)

Edit: By the way, the game has no storyline ! It's just a series of skimishes !

Well, what do you mean by 'newer'? I played many a fun FPS game, but I refrained from playing those of the last, say, three years.
Single Player? Multiplayer? Fantasy, SF, current setting... what do you prefer? Do you want to play to relax, be afraid, score, have a good laugh?
My personal recommendations would probably include games from the early nineties, so just give me some hints, please...

Left 4 Dead is great. I Love me some STALKER too. The new Riddick thing might be cool.
And as Jaz said, lot of great stuff in the early nineties (the golden days of FPS :D ), but I'm gonna assume you're in for some modern stuff.

Oh yes, if it must be modern-ish, try the Riddick games (just played the old one, but I take it the new one is great, too!)

I haven't exactly paid much attetion whats been going with latest shooters, but few recommandations anyhow.

If you are a sw junkie like myself.

Star wars jediknight 2: the jedi outcast
Star wars jediknight : the jedi academy

Other worthy fps games

Alien vs predator 2
Crysis
Dark Messiah: might and magic
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl
Doom 3

Not really fps games anymore but I'd recommand both Max paynes. Great action games with good storytelling. Think sin city comics, those cool old detective novels from 60s and 70s and combine it with modern action film genre, film noir influences and spice it with John woo..Then you have max payne :)

Severance the blade of darkness is the best fantasy action adventure ever made. Melee fighting has never been this good. Its third person like max paynes....

If you loved films like Leon, assasins, munich, day of the jackal etc...Hitman the bloodmoney is on your alley. It ain't the most fast paced action out there since it requires great deal of planning before killing, but the atmosphere in this game is so right..Oh yeah third person too.

Last edited:
AvP II was fantastomatic! But be sure to play the Pred campaign first as it's the most conventional/boring.

Okay, I'll go on a (roughly) nineties rampage now:

Clive Barker's Undying (chills and thrills - spiritual successor to the best game in the world, namely...)
Realms of the Haunting (more chills and thrills, good FMVs and a wacky haunted house story... an adventure hybrid)
Cybermage (of Spector fameanother hybrid)
Ken's Labyrinth (if you want to see good ideas and awful graphics)
Angst (if you want to see pure awfulness)
Corridor 7 (good sounds and ideas, very plain visuals)
Mortal Coil (hope it's been patched at some point - unplayable due to bugs, but it sported small group tactics and different camera angle cutscenes)
SiN (...which was really cool thanks to Elexis)
Redneck Rampage (kinda difficult but hilarious, and a great soundtrack)

I'll refrain from calling the usual names here (Doom, Wolf3D, Heretic and Hexen), but you should try Strife (decent story with neat twists, multiple choices and nice comic-book-style character prortraits), Blake Stone and, of course, the great-grandfather of all 3D shooters... Catacomb 3D. Just.. wow.

There ale a few good FPS in my opinion.

Multiplayer
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Counter-Strike Source (original is good as well)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament

Singleplayer
Half-Life 2
Half-Life
Operation Flashpoint
Bioshock
STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl

And... that's all FPS games I like :)

I'd personally recommend:

Call of Duty 4 (modern warfare is fun)
Operation Flashpoint
Clive Barker's Undying
Crysis
Aliens vs. Predator 2(Although I refuse to play anything but Colonial Marines)
the Chronicles of Riddick game
System Shock 2 (although that's a quasi-RPG depending on who you ask)
Doom 3 is cool and very atmospheric.
Left 4 Dead

If you're in the mood for something more tactical then Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 are also good.

...and if you want to cry and panic every five seconds, then Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is where it is at.

Stay away from STALKER, it's obviously not what you're looking for right now. Call of Duty 4 and 5 are great for the adrenaline rush you're craving. Crysis and Crysis Warhead are also very good, assuming you have the system to run them.

Well, what do you mean by 'newer'? I played many a fun FPS game, but I refrained from playing those of the last, say, three years.
Single Player? Multiplayer? Fantasy, SF, current setting... what do you prefer? Do you want to play to relax, be afraid, score, have a good laugh?
My personal recommendations would probably include games from the early nineties, so just give me some hints, please...

Ok, some hints ;) Any setting (except WW2), Single player, scary/funny both of them are ok by me, old/new ok by me. I'm not looking to relax, something to actually wake up after Drakensang's Town. Maybe if I get enough adrenline pumping and switch back to Drakensang I can finish that stupid town without falling into a coma :D(I'm only jokiing here guys, I like Drakensang. I just can't take that city or that Mother Rat anymore. I've passed that town like 2 times now, but had to restart twice because of the Fixpack. This third time is too much)

I like horror FPS like Realms of the Haunting is my all time favorite and FEAR wasn't too bad either, but I hate all Silent Hill games(I know not a FPS, but it's an example of what freaks me out). I just can't play them at all. Resident Evil I have no problem with.

The only common factor I prefer is that they were "fun" to play for you. Like I would of never thought that Serious Sam was any good, just looked too funky to me. But if Sammy says it's not half bad then maybe I should give it a shot.

Edit: Left 4 dead sounds interesting, but is it like Counter Strike. I've had my fill of those type of games.

There are actually very few FPS games I *don't* like ... things like Kreed and WWII Combat games. I like Ubersoldier and You Are Empty and Postal and so on.

I really love the Jedi Knight games perhaps best of all, and also Soldier of Fortune II, and many many more. GoG has Painkiller Black on sale now, which is great mindless action.

Play Max Payne 2. It's on rails, very well designed and still looks decent enough because you can switch everything to max. Rail shooters didn't get better than this.

Or play Duke Nukem 3D (again). The High Res Pack got its final release 3 weeks ago. It's 100% WinXP compatible. Getting it to run is a piece of cake.

Oh, Serious Sam is funny. So go for it!

Since they haven't been mentioned;
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 are real gems. Gameplay is great and they also have really good (and often funny) storylines. They are inspired by agent stories out of the 60'ies.
Condemned might be the scariest FPS I played.

Edit: Left 4 dead sounds interesting, but is it like Counter Strike. I've had my fill of those type of games.

No, it certainly isn't. The basic gameplay is cooperative. Humans vs the infected.
It's great fun, especially if you have a friend or two but you can play it alone too.
There's also the versus mode where some human players control some special infected... but that's a whole different story. I play it mostly for the coop campaign mode. I play some FPS too, and there's nothing like Left 4 Dead to get your adrenaline going. The first time we played on the hardest difficutly and actually survived an entire campaign (barely.. bleeding and limping) my hands were actually shaking :D

You can get it on steam @ 29e (low price for game this good) and there's a free expansion pack coming next week that ads a lot of great stuff. I could even play it some with you if you want to.

I really need to try that realms of the haunting thingie. I've meant to so many times, but then I forget and then up comes another thread where Jaz speaks about it and gets me interested again.. this is like the fourth or the fifth time now :D Damn!

Thanks guys that is quite a list. Not too many to be found on GoG, but I still found a few of them on Amazon. Now just have to decide which one or more likely which ones :D

@jaz Those first two Undying and Realms of the Haunting are two of my favs. Best example of how to do a horror/suspense game right. Although Realms doesn't have the "scare" factor as much as Undying, it still was a great game all the way to the end.

Back
Top Bottom