Ultra-old school Android/iPhone: Oubliette

Tel Prydain

Traveler
I mostly lurk around here, but some of you chaps might know me from a few other sites.

Briefly breaking my silence to support a mobile Android/iPhone game I found, one that is basically languishing unloved. Basically it's a remake of a really old RPG called Oubliette, a game that pre-dates Wizardy and plays a little like a cross between Eye of the Beholder and a rogue-like.
I love it to bits because it really is a relic - the sort of game where you can spend hundreds of hours, even if you just got party wiped four times in a row.

I'm a little bitter that Eye of the Beholder and Might & Magic haven't been ported to Android - but this has really lifted my day. The class/race/stat/job system is really great, and they have kept the original’s charm while adding additional content such as an deeper levels, secret rooms and a boss battle.

You can read more about the remake here
You can read about the original here
You can get the Android version here
You can get the iPhone version here

Thanks for listening to me rant! :cool:

The Original:
dungeon.GIF

The remake:
OublietteSS4.jpg

I don't own a cellular phone, but I'd play this in an instant if it were available for the pc, and doesn't require jumping through hoops to play/install. I think after playing LoG, I really have a new hankering for old-school games.

-Carn

Considering how (relatively) simple old school games are, and the growing demand for them (thanks, Grimrock!), it’s a bit odd that there are so damn few of them. Eye of the Beholder or Might and Magic would be piss easy to port – and M&M is turn based, so it’d be perfect for mobile play.
Well, at least on PC you can grab EoB for free or Might and Magic from Good Old Games.

One nice thing about Ouellette is the rogue influence where getting party wiped is both expected and inevitable – but rolling a new party is quick, fun and easy. It’s something that even the classic first person RPGs don’t really have.
It’s entertaining for a brand new group to set out, perhaps with the one grizzled, battle scared survivor from the previous group – no doubt telling horror stories and freaking the newbies out.

Back
Top Bottom