Blackguards - Review @ The Escapist

Neverwinter Nights?! I don't remember that to be TB … and it was one of the most boring RPGs ever.

Yes, for it's day. A truly bad RPG, coming from the company that did so much to revitalize the genre just a couple years earlier. That was pretty much the end of the CRPG as far I was concerned. The thing is, by today's standards if that piece of sh** game had updated graphics and decent voice acting, it'd be pretty damn awesome. Which is pathetic.

EDIT: By the way, I've always assumed that Bioware went off track between BG2 and NWN due to personnel changes, and that they never recovered from that. Seems like they started a downhill slide where they were replacing good people with bad people. I can't think of any other explanation for the sudden decline.

The combat actually reminds me most of Betrayal at Krondor, except BAK used a square grid instead of hex. Which is great, I loved that. What worries me is the game seems a bit simplistic. For instance, it seems you navigate through the game world by teleporting around from zone to zone using an overhead map? Might be OK for a strategy game, but an RPG? Especially if they drop you into the middle of encounters. Seems like not much player involvement, there.

Very rarely you get encounters in between zones, but they seem to be all scripted (not random) so far.

too bad there is no demo.. I can't judge from gameplay videos.

so this game is more like rage of mages? but in turn based combat.

there is no actual roaming freely on the map or towns, just fast traveling of the group from towns to the combat areas?

it looks really good though from the gameplay videos, thanks sakichop for pointing those things.

too bad there is no demo.. I can't judge from gameplay videos. so this game is more like rage of mages? but in turn based combat. there is no actual roaming freely on the map or towns, just fast traveling of the group from towns to the combat areas?it looks really good though from the gameplay videos, thanks sakichop for pointing those things.

I'm having trouble getting a feel for this game, too. Seems like I should like it but there's something about what I'm seeing in the youtube videos I've watched that's turning me off and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. One thing I noticed, watching a dozen or so clips including some that claimed to be reviews, is that people seem really gushing with praise. I'm definitely holding off on this one until it's been out a while and there's some balanced opinion on offer.

Very rarely you get encounters in between zones, but they seem to be all scripted (not random) so far.

Looks like all the encounters are scripted, to me. The first half dozen have been identical in the youtube vids I've seen. Have you replayed any of them and noticed anything, besides presumably the loot drops, that changed?

Ha! I've replayed some of quest encounters, and the equipment loot drop is usually the same. Rare encounters vary. Another thing that does vary is merchant goods. One play had an extra set of leather armor, another didn't.

The combat actually reminds me most of Betrayal at Krondor, except BAK used a square grid instead of hex. Which is great, I loved that.
Thanks for pointing that out. :)
I was wondering why the combat felt so familiar. It's indeed similar to BaK.

What worries me is the game seems a bit simplistic. For instance, it seems you navigate through the game world by teleporting around from zone to zone using an overhead map? Might be OK for a strategy game, but an RPG? Especially if they drop you into the middle of encounters. Seems like not much player involvement, there.
I would call it "clean", not simplistic. You indeed teleport between towns/sites on the world map and then sometimes through city areas.
This design decision has two consequences:
1) There's only little exploration. Two chapters have something you could call like that with a bit of goodwill, when the grid becomes non-linear, but really don't expect much.
2) There is no idle time. Almost every mouseclick is a small decision. Things are always moving forward, and the group inventory (-> less micromanagement) increases this impression even more. Daedalic somehow managed to create a game which feels "fast" but is 100% turn-based. You could go to lunch at any point without pausing the game, but you don't want to.

Yep, a helpful trick is not to finish the battle too quickly. Get your tank to absorb damage while the rest of the party heals and regens mana. Classic tactic.

I did that too in the arena battles. Balancing still needed work in that part.

I'm having trouble getting a feel for this game, too. Seems like I should like it but there's something about what I'm seeing in the youtube videos I've watched that's turning me off and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. One thing I noticed, watching a dozen or so clips including some that claimed to be reviews, is that people seem really gushing with praise. I'm definitely holding off on this one until it's been out a while and there's some balanced opinion on offer.

The reason for the praise are the game's flow and the variety in the battle maps.

I don't know, this game works great for me, I can't wait to play the next towns.
its engaging and challenging. I especially like the fact that you need to destroy barrels and chests to get the loot before combat ends. adds the tension. also the usage of map's objects to turn the balance of a fight.

in a way it reminds of UFO, but in the RPG, and the quick travel>town>combat is ok, as long as the story gets you going. there is something very boring on getting lost on a 3d world spending hours to find a stupid side quest.

they've cut the middle man-exploration. but in a nice way.
I just hope it won't turn into king's bounty. the battles don't feel like it in any case.

that's only from 2 hours gameplay.

I don't know, this game works great for me, I can't wait to play the next towns.
its engaging and challenging. I especially like the fact that you need to destroy barrels and chests to get the loot before combat ends. adds the tension. also the usage of map's objects to turn the balance of a fight.

I'm sorry but if that means what I think it means, that's just stupid. Do you really have to open chests and barrels before combat ends or you lose them? What, the God of Chests comes down right after you kill the enemy and disintegrates them? That would be the most stupid, idiotic, nonsense, IQ lowering, puppy killer decision ever made in the history of decisions ever made for any type of game, sport, competition, charity event I have ever heard in my life, and in all my previous lives.

Well... I think there might have been one or two decisions more stupid than this one, but generally you're right.

Wot !? What is this Ghost and Goblins !? o_O
Surely this must be a mistake...

well then don't buy it. i can definitely understand why logically it won't work for you super intellectual brains of 30 years of gaming. but gameplay wise- its just more fun, than+ "loot collected!".

sorry if that offends your ingenuity.

well then don't buy it. i can definitely understand why logically it won't work for you super intellectual brains of 30 years of gaming. but gameplay wise- its just more fun, than+ "loot collected!".

sorry if that offends your ingenuity.

Don't be a child and take it to heart.

I already bought it, but it's still extremely stupid.

I'm glad you enjoy chasing loot during combat, though :)

I prefer to focus on fighting when I'm in a fight. I'm strange that way. I guess that's because I have an "intellectual brain"? ;)

Hehe, sure.

Whatever floats your boat kid ;)

Lets hope the rest of the game is less silly as I have already bought it myself too :)

I especially like the fact that you need to destroy barrels and chests to get the loot before combat ends. adds the tension. also the usage of map's objects to turn the balance of a fight.

I was close to buying it, but this this is big turn off for me.

It's no show stopper for me, already bought it some weeks ago.

Apart from having to loot during the fight, I'm always shaking my head when it comes to barrels and chests that have to be destroyed for the loot.
Wonder what my wife will do if I'll be home tonight and instead of opening the kitchen cabinet to get a plate, I just hack it to pieces and get my plate from the rubbish that's left. ;)

Does it really make a difference whether or not you open chests or destroy barrels? I think I never did this and still got a lot of loot.

Back
Top Bottom