PC Gamer, BioShock and activation issues.

Acleacius

SasqWatch
http://www.pcgamer.com/

8/22/07 - DRMShock

By Dan Stapleton, Senior Associate Editor

Yesterday began as a joyous day. By the whim of the mailroom gods, my copy of BioShock was the first to arrive at my desk. After I finished dancing around the room rubbing it in everyone's face, we needed to install it on a DX9 and a DX10 machine to compare.

"But wait," I said. "This product requires activation. What if, by installing it here, I cripple my copy and am unable to play from home? "So Greg called the 2K support line and talked to a support rep, who told him that it would be fine as long as we uninstalled the game before installing it on another machine. Ok, that's fine... a little annoying considering the game also has a DVD check to make sure the disc is in the drive, but I can handle that.

So we installed on one machine, then uninstalled and installed on another with no problems. So far, so good. I got in about an hour of play time, but I do the majority of my game playing at home, where I've got my heavy-duty gaming rig set up, so I was really looking forward to bringing it home with me. I uninstalled the game from my work machine and happily headed home...but when I got there and went to activate, I was stopped dead by a failure message that informed me I'd installed with this code one time too many. What... the... $%~&!

Ok, still not a disaster. I've had this happen with Windows XP before—all I have to do is call the number in the manual, read off the reactivation request code supplied by the activation wizard, and they'll give me an unlock code. Well, not so simple in this case—the support number for the US listed in the manual didn't work, giving me a "We cannot connect your call at this time" message. So I called the Canadian number, which went through. After four minutes on hold, I was told that the only way they'd unlock it is if I take a photo of the disc and the manual and email it to them. Wow… even Microsoft doesn’t make you do that.

Having now jumped through all their hoops hours ago, I’m currently waiting for 2K to get around to allowing me to play my legitimate copy of the game on the system of my choosing. Meanwhile, the pirates who cracked Windows Vista’s activation in a matter of days are already at work on the game, and I sincerely doubt that the BioShock copy protection wall will still be standing a week from today. And while those pirates play their ill-gotten games without a care, those of us who came by our copies legally will have to put up with draconian obstacles that will then serve no purpose whatsoever.

Well done 2K, well done indeed.

There's only one way to go here to stop this. Unfortunately, it is to NOT buy this game. If we, the consumers react to this crazyness and NOT buy the PC (and the Xbox version?) of Bioshock, then maybe, developers etc. will realize that they onlu hurt themselves - not the pirates.

As for the experience, pc gamer's editor had, this goes against all that Take2 (2K) has been saying in their forums. They (Elisbeth?) clearly stated that if you un-installed the game before installing it again on another machine, then you won't have to call to get a re-activation code. She, Elisabeth clearly said that if you re-installed the game without un-installing the game more than two times, then you wouldn't need getting such a code. She also said that you would need such a code, if you re-installed the game without uin-installing. There were no mentioning of that you only could install this game two times, in total, before needing a re-activation code.

I don't seem the need for the draconian measures the editor needs to go through to get his Bioshock game re-activated. He has the re-activation code. He wouldn't have the reactivation code, if he hadn't bought the game, since he wouldn't have the activation wizard. It seems Ken Levine needs to talk some sense into the support people. I can somehow understand why game developers won't be cheated out off their money by people making illegal copies etc. of their games. (not a recommendation, though). The only people such draconian copy protection schemed hurts are the people who buy the game legally - not the pirates.... (still not a recommendation to pirate a game).

edit:

It seems that people at the 2kforums did experience the same thing as the pc gamer editor. So here's the action taken:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6979

Basically it is the same thing Microsoft does with say win XP, as far as I can tell.

Here's a link to to thread (originally spotted at NMA)

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5527

discussion this. And I counted at least 10 people who did cancel their pre-order and another 10 or saying they were going to cancel their pre-order.

It seems that web 2.0 strikes again ;) :)

Last edited:
First, its software - shit happenes. So it could just as well work as has been stated. But something bad happened during the uninstall. The request to server wasn't sent to deactivate the code.

About the procedure to make it work again is stupid. It shouldn't be done that way. I guess. The best thing to do is calling that number with MASS AMOUNT of request. Install the game on ONE computer and call the number, while your playing it on another. It will show them its a stupd way on doing things.

And of course people claiming they have cancelled their pre-orders. I am doubtful to when people shout wolf. Well, we will se. Specially on internet, but also real life. There is alot of barks but little bites when people say what they will do. :)

Me just bought me a XBOX360 yesterday and seeing how much faster the demo loaded on that machine and how great it looked on my system, i think i will go for the xbox release.

Or i will buy both. I don't care if other people having problem. This is a game i want to play and i only have one machine so i will never have this problem.

---
EDIT:
Reading the link to the activation systeam i think they have listen to make it better. Instead of 2 concurrent computers, you could have 5. Instead off 2 reinstall you can have 5 AND they will release a revoke application to make it sure that you as a end user can handle the license.

Hm, seems they are on the right track. I am used to handle all my licensing at work by myself thrue webpages so i am perhaps mentally there - i am bound by concurrent installation licensings, dongles and stuff and i guess i have come to accept it.

(I do not advocate copyprotection (on the contrary) but seeing how they deal with the problem i think business as usual - i will be able to play the game))!

Last edited:
An interesting thread indeed. And a scary one.

Because someone is repeating themselfs 100 times doens't make things true. They might appear more true, but they aint.

The best part was a guy who wrote something like this Hadrian i think his name was:
"Dear Elisabeth, ..."
Some patronizing speaches that she was a nice gal and such, but she didn't know much about the computer. But HE. He got a friend, and this friend was a programmer, and he had said that this was a rootkit.

Hm, looking thru my logs at work, having IDS blocking our business application for a false positive for spyware and nobody was able doing any transactions, and knowing that the antivirus business are doing guestimates on new viruses to determine whats what is a virus. I am not surprised if securerom could get caught. I mean, i have had real business critical application getting caught it such filter.

Hm. My hunch is that this is a deliberate campaigning from the the lobby that think pircay is ok. Yes it must be. They are all bunch of pirate.

I have facts! ;)

Oh, this is soo funny, sad and freightning.

I know. I am stupid that don't recognize this evil thread. And i am only one of 10000 that think like this. Perhaps its soo. But i like reading some sane words in this masshysteria, even if its my own. Web2 .0 aint allways a good thing.

There's only one way to go here to stop this. Unfortunately, it is to NOT buy this game.
That is a double edged sword. So this guy tried to install on a few computers within a few hours - that is still not 'usual behavior'. Heck, you *could* go put $10,000 on your credit card tomorrow, but if the maximum purchase in the past 10 years was $500, the credit card company would flag that immediately and perhaps even deny the purchase.

The other thing is what Tom Chick said in his review
If it doesn't sell well, perhaps it's time to abandon hope and resign ourselves to the eternal recurrence of space dungeons and World War II. Games like BioShock are what we need. They are what we deserve. This is one of the best examples of where we should go.

And between the two I will take Bioshock with the inconvenience or cumbersome DRM.

That is a double edged sword. So this guy tried to install on a few computers within a few hours - that is still not 'usual behavior'. Heck, you *could* go put $10,000 on your credit card tomorrow, but if the maximum purchase in the past 10 years was $500, the credit card company would flag that immediately and perhaps even deny the purchase.

Better comparison would be that if the limit was 500 it works only for one month so if you buy stuff for 500 this month your credit is still zero the next month even if you paid the credit bill.

And while your credit stays zero the stuff you bought with it would cease to function until you take pictures of it all and send it to an email address which you got by calling som phonesupportservice on another country that is only open few hours during the midnight.

But other than that its pretty good.

I will also take Bioshock with DRM than nothing. I don't think they made the right choices in the beginning but they are responding and I recognise their right to attempt to protect their property.

I'm not advocating piracy here, fra from it. I just think that maybe & perhaps 2K should have given or perhaps sent a review copy (without drm) to the PC Gamer Editor. Having PC Gamer's Edidtor being somewhat mad at 2K for not letting a Senior Editor play the game at home when he's about to review the game isn't a very smart business move - on so many levels. Ah, the power of the press...

It seems, however, that 2K (and Irrational Games?) have soften this activation thing up a bit. And that's fine by mw. However, putting DRM on Bioschock's DVDs won't make the pirates go away.... (still not a recommendation, though).

All hail the power of internet whiners ... ZOMG TEH WERLD IZ END1NG!!!1

You honestly think they didn't send PC Gamer a review copy well before the retail version was released?

This guy has a genuine beef - no question. He also has an opportunity to drum up some hits by writing an article on a hot topic.

You honestly think they didn't send PC Gamer a review copy well before the retail version was released?
PC Gamer was the first review of the game - their usual 'world exclusive' that is almost always based on pre-gold code played at the developer's site. So they have certainly had access.

This is something like someone trying the rumored 'flex trick' to shoot UMD's out of their PSP and breaking the screen - they knew about the possible limitation, pushed it, and got bitten in the butt.

I got the PC version. I am taking chances on my computer will not explode or my cpu burns up to pieces... But i really don't want this game get ruined for i have to learn to aim with a Xbox controller! :)

And also, just to buy this game becuase of the nay sayers.

I will support you bioshock. I will support you god damn it!

He was taling about he personal bought game, the one he can put on his home computer, afaik?

Unless you guys get to keep those games as personal copies, to take home when you get a copy sent for work reviews, then yeah I could see he was writng on a hot topic.

Otherwise if it's his personal copy and he is not allowed to take the business copy home, then I am gald it happened to someone with his position and the fact his is willing to write an article about it, since so many reviewers won't write or say negetive articles about new AAA titles.

I had trouble with the activation, it wouldn't activate. Wrote to securerom and was very irritated. I think this IS a very bad design choice, but i also want to play these games. I then continue to press activate, i think up to 30 times before my request come through. And it worked.

My biggest problem with Bioshock is with that i ALWAYS have to RUN! I hate that. Thats also the reason why i wish had gone with XBOX360... Using the Controller on the pc negates the win-win with using the mouse, and i could played it on my 80" screen instead. Gah. :)

If you mean 2k publisher, yes, though if you mean 2k/Irrational then no. :)
I think I am going to keep calling them Irrational from now on, it's to confusing to call a stuido known for great works by the publishers name. ;)

Though you could argue that due to the Activation Feature that Securom/Sony sold 2k, they were possibly not told of the flaws of the protection updating software of what it could and could not do effectively.
There for 2k was unable to properly perpare for the situation, but more info would be needed, we proabably will never get due to nda. :)

A bit of necro...

So, my buddy at work went out and bought the game on my recommendation. His gaming rig doesn't have an internet connection and his internet rig can't handle the game. He did a little looking and it appears there's no way around this (like an 800 number where they can give you an activation code). Is that the case? Is he screwed?

Since I haven't gotten a response, let me clarify a bit. I'm not asking for a crack or any such thing. I don't own the game, so I don't know how the activation is set up. He's a very casual gamer, so I don't completely trust his analysis of the situation and thought I'd ask about it here.

I truly have no idea or I would have answered ... it just seems odd to me that someone with a system powerful enough to run the game wouldn't have net access on it.

Back
Top Bottom