Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

Actually it's Forgotten Realms (FR) lore. It's the so called campaign setting BG takes place in.

D&D is just the rule set. In BG its's actually AD&D (Advanced D&D), which is the 2nd edition of D&D. Current edition is D&D 4.
Back in 1980s D&D and AD&D rules remained separate so it is actually second edition of AD&D rules as there is is also first edition of AD&D. 2nd Ed of AD&D was introduced in 1989.

So much love went into Baldurs Gate. If I recall correctly, it was made by a team of doctors who quit their day jobs to do something they had a genuine passion for. To bring back the glory of the goldbox days taking advantage of modern hardware and making the best D&D ever. In my opinion, it shows.

I think you can tell that they were not super experienced with the whole story-telling part at this point in time though. Baldur's Gate 2 fixes a lot of the issues that BG1 had (in particular the rather bland companion interaction). BG2 has some issues of its own, but I for one find it to be the far superior game of the two, mainly due to the fact that the writing is, for the most part, better and the companions are given far more personality. I still find Black Isle's games to be better (Icewind Dale & Planescape), but BG2 is still a darn fine game.

I take it Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights are also part of the Forgotten Realms setting?

NWN is terrible though. It has good mods and a good core system, but the campaign *shudders* It's among the worst I've ever seen. The expansions are better, but still not good.

Can someone explain where the Blade and Stars Inn is? I've scoured the entire city of Baldur's Gate and simply can't find it. Any help would be appreciated!

Can someone explain where the Blade and Stars Inn is? I've scoured the entire city of Baldur's Gate and simply can't find it. Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough/baldursgatesoutheastern.php

NWN is terrible though. It has good mods and a good core system, but the campaign *shudders* It's among the worst I've ever seen. The expansions are better, but still not good.
I disagree about expansions. Hordes of the Underdark is one of the best expansions ever made.

The interesting thing is that first BG game was actually re-engineered from RTS-RPG MMO demo game called "Battleground Infinity" Bioware worked on in mid 90s.

Baldur’s Gate happened when Feargus Urquhart from Interplay saw the demo of Battleground Infinity and suggested they use the AD&D license owned by Interplay and re-engineer the title into dungeons&dragons RPG. They worked on the game for years, redoing the whole art three times and postponing the release date for several times.
If you are interested in the background I suggest you to watch this wonderful 10 year retrospective interview from GDC Europe 2010. Great stuff full of interesting tidbits.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013661/Baldur-s-Gate-A-10

Thanks! Seems I missed that entire section of the map.

Another quick question. What is the cap for thieving skills? I already have 100 in Open Locks but I can keep putting points into it, so I'm wondering what the max is since it seems more than 100. Is any benefit gained by going over 100 in skills?

Can someone also explain what Wisdom does? I read the manual but I'm still not sure. I have a Tome of Understanding I'd like to give to someone.

Last edited:
Wisdom is important to characters that use priest spells because a high wisdom stat allows them to memorize more spells. It also determines a character's lore level along with intelligence.

I think it also factors into saving throws.

Not entirely correct as it effects only clerics and druids. Paladins and rangers don`t get bonus spells.

As JDR13 said it is also good for lore ability for identifying unknown items.

As for open locks ability there is no need putting points after you hit 100 mark. You can also use knock spell instead open locks ability so it not essential ability at all.

Wisdom is important to characters that use priest spells because a high wisdom stat allows them to memorize more spells. It also determines a character's lore level along with intelligence.

I think it also factors into saving throws.

Not entirely correct as it effects only clerics and druids. Paladins and rangers don`t get bonus spells.

As JDR13 said it is also good for lore ability for identifying unknown items.

As for open locks ability there is no need putting points after you hit 100 mark. You can also use knock spell instead open locks ability so it not essential ability at all.

Thanks to both of you. I will give Jaheira the book since she's a Druid and uses Priest spells.

OR I could give it to Dynaheir for a higher lore boost. Hmm. I'll ponder it a bit more.

I think the loot system in this game is one of the best I've ever seen. The unique items, the identification process, the stats, the customization; everything about the loot system is crunchy. When I find a new blue item I can't wait to identify it. Then having it be some item of legend with a complete backstory is just great. They really nailed this aspect. It's up there with Diablo, I feel.

Dynaheir is a mage so no need to give her wisdom points. Jaheira is not pure druid but multiclass fighter/druid so she won`t be able to reach higher level priest spells.

Best choice would be some pure cleric or druid character like Branwen, Viconia or Faldorn but I guess you don`t use them. In fact Faldorn is the best choice since she is the only companion capable of casting level 5 priests spells in BG1 as pure clerics hit the experience limit cap before reaching level 5 priest spells.

So the Tome of Understanding serves no purpose for either Jaheira or Dynaheir?

It would at least boost the Lore score of Dynaheir, no? Would it have any effect at all on Jaheira? Even being able to learn one extra spell would be nice...

It should grand Jaheira a few more spells per level I think... save, use the tome and check it out.

So the Tome of Understanding serves no purpose for either Jaheira or Dynaheir?

It would at least boost the Lore score of Dynaheir, no? Would it have any effect at all on Jaheira? Even being able to learn one extra spell would be nice…

It would raise their lore ability a bit. Jaheira +3 lore and Dynaheir +5 lore points.

Jaheira should get one extra level 2 spell slot if you raise her wisdom from 14 to 15.

In case you don't have it, Baldur's Gate II EE is 6.24$ on steam right now.

You know the drill.

Do it! :lol:

I'd love to, but I'm flat broke until the 3rd right now :(. If someone could gift it to me, I'd pay them back on the 3rd. I'd hate to miss the sale price because I have no income coming in and wouldn't be able to afford it at regular price. What do you say?

It should grand Jaheira a few more spells per level I think… save, use the tome and check it out.

Thanks, I'll do that.

It would raise their lore ability a bit. Jaheira +3 lore and Dynaheir +5 lore points.

Jaheira should get one extra level 2 spell slot if you raise her wisdom from 14 to 15.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd love to, but I'm flat broke until the 3rd right now :(. If someone could gift it to me, I'd pay them back on the 3rd. I'd hate to miss the sale price because I have no income coming in and wouldn't be able to afford it at regular price. What do you say?

It is rumored that Good old games' last full day of summer sale will be a crazy one.
A few freebies again and mayby more insanity like last tuesday.

The D&D bundle is also rumored to return.
That bundle alone includes 10 games that you cannot go on living without.
You already have one of them.

Baldur's Gate I and II : You can enhance your experience with these instructions.
Icewind Dale I and II
Neverwinter Nights I and II
Planescape Torment = Another game that is considered a classic.
Temple of Elemental Evil
Dragon Shard
Demon Stone.

All that for 21 $.

I know you said that you were short but if you manage to scrape some money somewhere you should be good for around 1000 hours of gametime. Perharps even more.

There is also talk that Banished will be a freebie.

Ask around Gog for keys or Reddit on gog's summer sale threads.
I've seen a few people hand some out for free.

Last edited:
It is rumored that Good old games' last full day of summer sale will be a crazy one.
A few freebies again and mayby more insanity like last tuesday.

The D&D bundle is also rumored to return.
That bundle alone includes 10 games that you cannot go on living without.
You already have one of them.

Baldur's Gate I and II : You can enhance your experience with these instructions.
Icewind Dale I and II
Neverwinter Nights I and II
Planescape Torment = Another game that is considered a classic.
Temple of Elemental Evil
Dragon Shard
Demon Stone.

All that for 21 $.

I know you said that you were short but if you manage to scrape some money somewhere you should be good for around 1000 hours of gametime. Perharps even more.

There is also talk that Banished will be a freebie.

Ask around Gog for keys or Reddit on gog's summer sale threads.
I've seen a few people hand some out for free.

I have that bundle on GOG, I just don't have the Enhanced Edition. I'd also prefer to play on Steam if possible because it keeps track of hours spent and I like the Steam features.

I'll keep looking around for someone trading the Enhanced Edition maybe and see if I can swing a deal somehow.

You don't have to get EE version for BG2. I for one prefer the original. For BG2 don't really need *enhancement*, if anything, it really restricts number of mods you can install.

Back
Top Bottom