D:OS D:OS May Just Dethrone U7

Divinity: Original Sin

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I started out with the notion I was just going to tinker around with D:OS and then the next thing I know 5 hours go by...

I've only just made it to the first town. This game really draws me in like few do. I really appreciate the state-of-the-art PC UI. Everything seems deep and complete. Haven't run into any bugs so far... or at least that I'm aware of.

The main thought that keeps going through my mind is whether or not D:OS is going to dethrone U7 as my all time favorite game. So far, it seems like there's a good chance...

The same thing happened to me. My "let's just test this game out a little" session turned into an entire day and night. This game is just charming and great fun. There simply isn't a lot to criticize, in my opinion.

It's a classy, polished, well-made piece of artistry. :) I do hope that "classy" becomes "classic" for a lot of people…I know for my part, it's already my favorite rpg of the year, hands down. Games that let *you* play, instead of making you play how the devs/publisher want you to play, is something I really appreciate, and D:OS does it with incredible talent.

I can't say enough good things about it either. ^.^

I like most of what I'm seeing so far - and it oozes potential. I guess their humor isn't quite for me - but that's ok. As long as it's from the heart, I'm happy.

But my ultimate response will be based on how meaty the game *really* is - and how the wonderfully intricate character system ends up being balanced in the long run.

It does look quite wonderful, so far. I actually like most of the writing too, even with the humor.

I won't be fast in saying Original Sin will dethrone something. Early game is definetly great and polished, I love it.
There's a hope it'll be like that in all parts and then I could determine if it nails the spot.

But even this early I can safely say so far this is the best game I've backed on Kickstarter.

I started it up and played for about an hour, but I can't get past the lack of choice in NPC personalities. For me, it detracts a lot from the game that my only options right now are to have my companion agree all the time or have completely random responses.

Everything else seems great though for the most part. I hope it doesn't take much longer for them to finish implementing the personalities.

I started it up and played for about an hour, but I can't get past the lack of choice in NPC personalities. For me, it detracts a lot from the game that my only options right now are to have my companion agree all the time or have completely random responses.
???
I've put "No AI" and am practically roleplaying both characters as I choose their personality, there is no agreement or randomness unless I want it. You sure you have the release version with three options on AI?

Lucky me they didnt add gamepad support othervice I would have bought this game right now.
And luckily for me, this is not a crap console port where you just have to play with controller unless you want to get frustrated (Watch Dogs, I'm looking at you).

???
I've put "No AI" and am practically roleplaying both characters as I choose their personality, there is no agreement or randomness unless I want it. You sure you have the release version with three options on AI?

Yes, I'm well aware that my third option would be to simply choose the dialogue responses for the companion. I have no desire to do that though.

And luckily for me, this is not a crap console port where you just have to play with controller unless you want to get frustrated (Watch Dogs, I'm looking at you).

It doesnt have to be a crappy console port to have gamepad support. I have 294 games in steam and I play everything with gamepad if possible. Quote from steam forums about this subject:
If Firaxis hadn't added 360 controller support for Xcom, the keyboard people would've laughed, and said, no way can Xcom ever be made to use the 360 controller.

The keyboard people are saying the same thing about Divnity. Clearly, if Xcom can be made to use the controller, then so can this game.

I'm already tired of using the mouse and keyboard for this game. It's just too fussy. All this pointing and clicking, and clicking and pointing, and searching for the right buttons to press…. the controller just works so much better.

At the end of a hard day, I just want to relax my shoulders. The controller is an incredible device.

Thank God Dragon Age Inquisition will support it.
Amen. I use mouse and keyboard enough at work, at home I want to relax infront of 65" tv with gamepad in hand.

Ultima7/divine divinity were not nice games for my mouse hand. I would love to play them with gamepad.

Maybe they will add gamepad support laters.

I don't think its hard to beat Ultima 7, really. Nice detail in its day, but the gameplay was just awful. Give me turn based combat like AD&D games over Ultima.* combat any day.

I played more Ultima 4 than any other Ultima and as much as I liked the detail in 7 it was all surpassed by Ultima Online which went ever further with things like growing plants and house deeds you could place almost anywhere.

Also, while the detail in 7 and UO was the most memorable to me, I found the atmosphere in U8 was the best with its music and magic mushrooms, even if the platforming elements were extremely poorly executed.

Never played 9!
I guess their humor isn't quite for me - but that's ok. As long as it's from the heart, I'm happy.

I liked the talking skeletons in Divine Divinity as much as the next guy, but I have to agree that the sneaking animation makes me cringe. It might work for chasing roadrunners but it just feels so wrong and stupid in the game. I wish it was anything else.

I think humor should be witty and subtle in an RPG, not comical, obvious and just plain silly!

I use mouse and keyboard enough at work, at home I want to relax infront of 65" tv with gamepad in hand.
Yea well I use gamepad at work and at home I want to relax in front of projector on the wall (56476446 inces big pic probably) with a wireless keyboard&mouse under hands.

Yea well I use gamepad at work and at home I want to relax in front of projector on the wall (56476446 inces big pic probably) with a wireless keyboard&mouse under hands.
The game allready supports keyboard and mouse so what is your issue then?

You sound like a mouse-and-keyboard purist. Personally I believe in peaceful co-existance of different control schemes.

Last edited:
I won't be fast in saying Original Sin will dethrone something. Early game is definetly great and polished, I love it.

Yep. That's why I used the word *may* in my title for the thread. When I first played G1 and G2 I thought they would dethrone U7 for me. But in hindsight they never quite did though I enjoyed both those games immensely.

But even this early I can safely say so far this is the best game I've backed on Kickstarter.

I agree. Not only is the game fun regardless of whether or not it dethrones U7 (for me) but Larian's Kickstarter campaign itself was run extremely well. They set a very high standard for crowd-funded development that others should strive hard to meet. Frequent (but not too frequent) updates. Concise messaging. Development with clearly defined and articulated vision and goals. Excellent communication and articulation. They did a really great job.

But my ultimate response will be based on how meaty the game *really* is - and how the wonderfully intricate character system ends up being balanced in the long run.

I agree. But the first 5 hours have been a real joy. I am amazed by the world and all the interaction that is possible. It oozes potential.

I don't think its hard to beat Ultima 7, really. Nice detail in its day, but the gameplay was just awful. Give me turn based combat like AD&D games over Ultima.* combat any day.

I won't defend U7's combat because it was pretty awful. But everything else about the game was spectacular with very few games since then even coming close to its level of world simulation. Ever since U7, I've been waiting for a game to go to the next level of world simulation and while there have been a few attempts none have really surpassed U7 imho. They may have surpassed U7 in part, but not in totality.

I agree, U7 had crappy combat - but everything else was superb for its time.

Obviously, if you think gameplay is about combat only - that won't seem like a big deal.

So it's like Ultima VII but with much better combat system? It's a shame that i didn't backed it on kickstarter and that I don't have a funds to buy it now :(

I'm just through the "Learning Dungeon" / "Tutorial Dungeon", but I like what I see there so far. :)

Which one? If you're referring to the one where something was stolen from… It's not the end of the tutorial!
Your characters will comment on more things when in the town and you'll also receive some hints (for example, not a spoiler but a hint you'll see, to identify an item you need a magnifying glass).

Just to add I like the game more and more. Except… Is there any thief to recruit nearby? I need a pickpocketeer desperately and am not spending hardearned skillpoint for that skill on my cleric! Man, those townies are filthy rich, I must "confiscate" their stuff! :D

Back
Top Bottom