What are you reading?

Finished Camouflage by Joe Halderman
Nebula Award Winner 2005

Pretty good read about 2 ancient alien shapeshifters living on Earth, pretending to be humans, among other things. One for the paranoids. ;) But seriously, now, it's actually interesting. Also, there's a parallel story about the recovery and investigation of a similarly ancient alien spaceship on Earth, which joins with the shapeshifter story threads at the end of the novel.

The shapeshifters are 2 different "species", one came to observe and learn, the other to kill (the other). One learns humanity from humans, the other is attracted to psychopaths. The ending leaves a lot of questions unresolved but is otherwise satisfying. Read this if the idea of seeing and adapting to human history (good and bad) through the eyes of non-human aliens attracts you. That's 80% of the book.

However, be aware that the storytelling is rather violent and sadistic at times. Especially the segments involving WW II, and the psychopathic alien.

Last edited:
I also just saw the movie John Carter (from Mars), shallow but enjoyable.

Enybody knows if the books are any good?

I have all of ERB's books (he also created Tarzan) and loved them growing up. They are still enjoyable though formulaic to some extent as they were written in the pulp fiction age where quantity of books over quality ruled. I actually thought the film wasn't too bad either and was surprised by the negative reviews.

I'm reading a trilogy I'd never heard of till two weeks ago, The Magicians, by Lev Grossman. I'm halfway through the second book, I'd compare them to the Potter series, but a bit more....adult. They also are a bit more abstract, and so far I'm enjoying them. Not going to say much more because I'd not want to spoil them for anyone.

I have all of ERB's books (he also created Tarzan) and loved them growing up. They are still enjoyable though formulaic to some extent as they were written in the pulp fiction age where quantity of books over quality ruled. I actually thought the film wasn't too bad either and was surprised by the negative reviews.

I've read most of ERB books as well. Corwin is correct, they are very formularic. The first Tarzan is very good and I enjoyed his pellucidar series. Most of his books are in the public domain now so you can grab the ebooks for free from Feedbooks and such.

The Fantastic Literature thread

No such thread in an RPG gaming forum? Had to make it.

I have two questions:

I never read Lord Dunsany's writings and would like to get into it. Where should I start? I got the Jorkens stories because they seem like my cup of tea, but they seem not to be considered his essential.

Also, why is there no decent hardcover illustrated collection of Lovecrat's writings available in the market? The man has an enduring popularity and yet unlike Robert E. Howard and other of the pulp greats he doesn't get good treatment from publishers.

I started reading The Wheel of Time out of boredom, and cant put it down.
Please help!

No worries. Book three will solve that.

No worries. Book three will solve that.

Nynaeve pulls her braid in frustration.

I'm reading the Saga of Recluse books. Lots of books in the series, I'm starting the 4th. The interesting thing is that each book is an independent story, in different time frames, so book 1 was, say in year 1000, where they mentioned in passing some parts of the past. Then book 2 was in year 0 where you see how it all started, then book 3 in year 500 where other things mentioned in book 1 are played out. Book 4 would be like year 1500, where everything you've read before is now history, etc. The author tends to overextend in useless sections here and there (like in one of the books, 2 or 3 pages basically explained how the character made a saddle step by step), but so far it's been entertaining enough.

Nynaeve pulls her braid in frustration.

I'm reading the Saga of Recluse books. Lots of books in the series, I'm starting the 4th. The interesting thing is that each book is an independent story, in different time frames, so book 1 was, say in year 1000, where they mentioned in passing some parts of the past. Then book 2 was in year 0 where you see how it all started, then book 3 in year 500 where other things mentioned in book 1 are played out. Book 4 would be like year 1500, where everything you've read before is now history, etc. The author tends to overextend in useless sections here and there (like in one of the books, 2 or 3 pages basically explained how the character made a saddle step by step), but so far it's been entertaining enough.

That is the under statement of the century and I say that as I the guy who has just finished the latest (17th or 18th) Recluse book! However I don't mean that as a bad thing at all, its part of his charm :)

I started reading The Wheel of Time out of boredom, and cant put it down.
Please help!

Update:
I am free! Freeeeee!
It was just a moment of weakness.
I kicked the addiction with Revelation Space.
I still have glimpses of the Dark One, even while awake, but I hope they will be gone in few days.
After that I will feed my fantasy addiction with Robin Hobb works.

I finished Ready player one recently and it was wonderful sci-fi geekfest.Must read for all gamers especialy those who grew up in 80's.

Last edited:
Update:
I am free! Freeeeee!
It was just a moment of weakness.
I kicked the addiction with Revelation Space.
I still have glimpses of the Dark One, even while awake, but I hope they will be gone in few days.
After that I will feed my fantasy addiction with Robin Hobb works.

The farseer sixology was one of my first favorites. It still is, though I can see some of its critiscm. Such as the self pitying (wallowing?) of the protagonist, which I didn't mind that much but I can see why it can be too much for others.

The last one I started one afternoon, read all night until 6am - couldn't put it down. Started again at 10am and finished at 3am. ;) the damn thing stuck in my head for months

The farseer sixology was one of my first favorites. It still is, though I can see some of its critiscm. Such as the self pitying (wallowing?) of the protagonist, which I didn't mind that much but I can see why it can be too much for others.

The last one I started one afternoon, read all night until 6am - couldn't put it down. Started again at 10am and finished at 3am. ;) the damn thing stuck in my head for months

I concur. I loved the 2 Farseer trilogies, with the second one being the best of the two. :)
I've recently grabbed the Magic Ship one, but no time to read yet.

Currently absorbed in the Last Wish by Sapkowski.

That is the under statement of the century and I say that as I the guy who has just finished the latest (17th or 18th) Recluse book! However I don't mean that as a bad thing at all, its part of his charm :)

I have all of LEM's books and love them. I've read the Recluse series both in the order published and then later in chronological order and enjoyed them both ways. I think that his Imager series is even better.

PS I too WADED through the entire Wheel of Time and for me book 5 was almost the killer!! :) I can't remember which book it was now, but I do remember in one of them there was a tea party which ran for about 20 pages. I think they should market that as a cure for insomnia!! :D

Back
Top Bottom