MMORPG News - A Firefly MMO TBA @ Wired News

Kawika

Watchdog
Though canceled after only 11 episodes, the Fox sci-fi series Firefly has managed a cult following which refuses to be ignored. Well, fansof the show may soon have the opportunity to play in a Firefly MMORPG universe according to Wired News:
Like Capt. Mal Reynolds stumbling in after a bar fight, the short-lived but much beloved sci-fi series Firefly will soon make an unexpected return, not as a TV show, but as a massively multiplayer online game.
Now that's shiny.
Multiverse, maker of a free MMO-creation platform, plans to announce Friday morning that it's struck a deal with Fox Licensing to turn the show into an MMORPG in the fashion of Star Wars Galaxies or Eve Online.
More information.

It's the next Matrix Online!!!

Oh, wait ...

I certainly see where you're coming from Dhruin. Still, it could be a surprise hit. I'm too much of an old-timey Trekkie to break the mold, but if enough Browncoats are for the Firefly MMO, then I say see it through and see what transpires.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I'm still negative about the idea. The thing about Firefly is the writing: witty dialogue, complex but endearing characters, often absurd situations. There's also a nice western-meets-space art direction. I just don't see that writing strength fitting into an MMORPG. At best, it will be an Everquest in space with some loose connections to Whedon's universe in the form of familiar names: Alliance, Tranquility and so on.

And that's at best. What are the chances this company will turn in something even that good? I know someone will raise EVE as an example of a small developer that succeeded but it's only one example (and I found EVE boooooring).

Back
Top Bottom