military duty

Bartacus

BartWatch
With that last contribution of 'the beer' thread, I started wondering if there are still many countries where there is military duty. I mean by this that you have to go in the army for at least a year unless you have a really good excuse. In Belgium they don't do that anymore since the 90's.

Not many... I guess the Italians and we are the only western nations with the Draft... but is such a nice tradition to have... while even our highest court has decided that it's unfair because only around on third of the people that could be drafted are needed for the military and so two thirds don't have to serve it doesn't change a thing - the populace loves to have the army in case of floodings or other emergencys (it is thought to give them police-duties in case of terroristic attacks i.e.) and hospitals and Old-People-Homes need the cheap labour of the men who don't want to serve on weapons and apply for civil work.

While when I now - more than 10 years later - think back on it, it was a good time, its hard to serve a year with nearly no Income, though today it's only 9 Months AFAIK.

Though it is a disturbing thought how many of our males have some basic military training, because year for year people are drafted.

Denmark has military duty too. Though the length varies. The basic course is 4 months but other duties in the military can be up to 12 months.
I've actually just received a letter from the military to attend "The Military's Day" where you get drafted, but I'm attending education so for now I'm off the hook.

Last edited:
There is military duty for men here in Thailand or Monk-hood is the other option, or if you pay some tea money you can get out of both.

I think Sweden still have military duty for men only, but there have been lots of discussion about scrapping it, or adding females. The duty lasts for about one year.

For me the army psychiatrist believed that I was unfit for army duty (I was a deeply depressed and paranoid teenager). Most boys get "reserved", which means that they might be called in later. I got a "free ticket" which means that they will never call me again.

We have military duty here, but I didn't go because I'm already nearly deaf on one ear. They didn't want to risk the deafness of he other ear as well ...

The US doesn't have it as yet. If the #'s of poor kids in now, who for the most part joined the reserves to get an education, get's too low they can reinstate the draft, but I doubt that will happen.

Oh I know they will. :rotfl: And at this point in time so would congress. :end: :lol:

He might make that his last act before finishing his term!! :)

Most interesting, some of the stuff I've read so far is new to me.
@bjon045 I've got an aunt from Thailand, but I like to know weather it also applies to women. Can you give some info on that?

The military duty, the obligatory 1 year long service was canceled like 5 years ago here in Czech Republic. I was in the last group that had to go. Actually if you tried, you could avoid that, it was pretty easy. However all ways to avoid it were somehow tied with lying or some other cowardly practices which we RPGs don't like ;].

Well, to be honest, I think it was generally one lost year. Yet, there might be some things I would have missed, some experience gained.

We finns also have our military duty. It lasts from six months to full year depending on the training and the division where you serve. Every healthy male citizen has to serve in the army before he turns 28. Most guys serve during the age of 18-22.. Naturally if you absolutely don't want to serve in the army or have some kind of faith, opinion, convition etc you can choose the civil service which lasts 13 months. Its a bit longer and we have had huge policitical debats whether it should lowered to 12 months. .

Ofcourse if one is depressed for example or has a medical condition such as asthma, very bad eye sight, physical injury etc which prevents normal duty, he will get a relief.

and yeah women can sign in voluntarily.

Back
Top Bottom