Pillars of Eternity - GOTY Edition Revealed

The 2nd Expansion should come with a new game mode called story time.
It's a way for beginners to play, or people who don't like the old combat system.

Well I seem to re-call they released two Enhanced Edition's. Also based on a past interview a possible Witcher III GOTY/Enhanced Edition might be released.
Supposedly Obsidian is working on a former cancelled RPG funded by a publisher. So it might happen, and it should be officially announced hopefully later this year.

Link - http://www.pcgamesn.com/obsidian-will-be-announcing-a-new-rpg-in-the-next-few-months

I know they did, but all three of their games were very playable out of the box. I have played POE twice through and it still seems incomplete to me at times.

I know they did, but all three of their games were very playable out of the box.

This is not entirely true. The Witcher 2 was completely broken at release because of CDP's shitty launcher. It took them a good week of "fixing" (making things slightly better and then much worse again with every new half hourly patch… they were flailing about like chicken with their heads chopped off) before they went "fuck it" and scrapped the launcher completely.
Both games were also very buggy at release and missing many quality of life features that were introduced in later patches.
I can not really speak for TW3 (there were patches with over 600 fixes though so don't tell me the game was bug free on release ;) ) as I have not played it yet but TW1 and 2 were really either on par or even below Obsidian "quality" at release.

Just another reason to never buy a game on day one unless it comes from CDProjektRed.

Yeah good idea. Then you get to buy the DLC separately or buy a season pass :roll: At least PoE only has a single expansion to buy and it gives you the complete experience.

Seriously though, Obs makes some mistakes, but they're putting a lot of effort in improving PoE and communicating with player community.
I'd kill for sandbox rpg series with them on board.

I guess my point is the game is so different now then when I played it to completion on release.

I don't recall PoE winning any "Game of the Year" awards… Isn't the custom that you release a "Game of the Year Edition" for a game that actually won the award?

There's been a few, with perhaps more coming. I wonder what awards are considered the "big ones" in the video gaming industry?

There's been a few, with perhaps more coming. I wonder what awards are considered the "big ones" in the video gaming industry?
There are no "Game of the Year" awards for PoE in your link, just 2 "Best RPG" and 1 "Spirit of the PC" :)lol:). I actually did search around and the only one I found was the Mac Store thing. I guess that's enough. I hadn't realized "Game of the Year Editions" were being issued so willy-nilly these days.

This is not entirely true. The Witcher 2 was completely broken at release because of CDP's shitty launcher. It took them a good week of "fixing" (making things slightly better and then much worse again with every new half hourly patch… they were flailing about like chicken with their heads chopped off) before they went "fuck it" and scrapped the launcher completely.

Um…what?

Maybe you were experiencing something different over in Europe, but I had no issues with TW2 whatsoever at launch. In fact, I was finished 3 days after release. (I wasn't working at the time so I had all day and night to play :))

The only bug I experienced was occasional input lag during combat.

Um…what?

Maybe you were experiencing something different over in Europe, but I had no issues with TW2 whatsoever at launch. In fact, I was finished 3 days after release. (I wasn't working at the time so I had all day and night to play :))

The only bug I experienced was occasional input lag during combat.

OK, might have been a European thing only with the activation servers, I do not know, but I'm not making it up and experienced it myself first hand (along with several others here obviously).
However, it actually looks more like it might have been different depending on whether people got a digital copy on GOG (the only DRM-free version at release), Steam or a physical copy. I bought the physical CE with DRM and it was no fun.

There were massive issues related to the DRM where the game/launcher would not recognize the keys and it went as far as where they gave away for free the "exclusive" CE preorder DLC to everyone at release because the authentication did not work properly.
This is one of the reasons I'm no longer buying their games on release. If they have preorder DLC and then give it away to everyone anyway then why bother, right?

The game also had massive framerate issues at launch due to the DRM which CDP subsequently removed from the launcher and the game. Kudos for that one but a better implementation and better testing should have avoided such issues in the first place.

All in all that is why I'm nowadays just sitting back, relaxing and playing the Enhanced Edition Game of the Year Director's Cut Complete Gold Platinum Diamond Super-Duper edition of any game whenever feasible and possible :) .
And PoE and The Witcher 3 (among many others) are ideal candidates for this approach due to the great continued support of their respective developers.

OK, might have been a European thing only with the activation servers, I do not know, but I'm not making it up and experienced it myself first hand (along with several others here obviously).
However, it actually looks more like it might have been different depending on whether people got a digital copy on GOG (the only DRM-free version at release), Steam or a physical copy. I bought the physical CE with DRM and it was no fun.

There were massive issues related to the DRM where the game/launcher would not recognize the keys and it went as far as where they gave away for free the "exclusive" CE preorder DLC to everyone at release because the authentication did not work properly.
This is one of the reasons I'm no longer buying their games on release. If they have preorder DLC and then give it away to everyone anyway then why bother, right?

The game also had massive framerate issues at launch due to the DRM which CDP subsequently removed from the launcher and the game. Kudos for that one but a better implementation and better testing should have avoided such issues in the first place.

All in all that is why I'm nowadays just sitting back, relaxing and playing the Enhanced Edition Game of the Year Director's Cut Complete Gold Platinum Diamond Super-Duper edition of any game whenever feasible and possible :) .
And PoE and The Witcher 3 (among many others) are ideal candidates for this approach due to the great continued support of their respective developers.

I bought my game from a local shop, picked it up around 9am, installed it and played it for a week straight with zero issues. POE I bought online, and had to keep stop playing and wait for them to release patches to keep playing the game.

I am not talking where a spell didn't work, complete breaks in the game where quests were broken. Though I stuck with it and completed it and enjoyed it for the most part.

The second play through the game was very different in the way it played, and I am sure this new patch changes the game even more.

Just another reason to never buy a game on day one unless it comes from CDProjektRed.

I love CDPR but they are not immune to the wait 6-12 months for the best experience syndrome.

Witcher 1 was pretty broken on release with the worst be unbearable loading times. That's what started the whole EE thing as an apology to their customers.

Witcher 2 definitely had the lag issues, many patches and EE.

Witcher 3 has had several patches one of in which CDPR even said had 600 fixes and 150 stability improvements. It will have 3 DLC's that can be integrated into the game and will probably get an EE version. Also don't forget the 16 weeks of DLC silliness.

As I said, I love CDPR but they are no more play on release than anyone else.

I love CDPR but they are not immune to the wait 6-12 months for the best experience syndrome.

Witcher 1 was pretty broken on release with the worst be unbearable loading times. That's what started the whole EE thing as an apology to their customers.

Witcher 2 definitely had the lag issues, many patches and EE.

Witcher 3 has had several patches one of in which CDPR even said had 600 fixes and 150 stability improvements. It will have 3 DLC's that can be integrated into the game and will probably get an EE version. Also don't forget the 16 weeks of DLC silliness.

As I said, I love CDPR but they are no more play on release than anyone else.

The Witcher was there first game ever, enough said.

The Witcher 2 was not broke at all, I have played it 3 times and have noticed no changes to the game.

The Witcher 3 600 fixes are small little fixes to a huge game that was as polished as any game I have ever played on released or years later.

I don't care to get into a huge thing, but most games are released broken.

POE to me is not the same game they released on day one, I have played it twice to completions so I am not saying I don't like the game. From I say in the video of this new patch it changes yet again.

The Witcher was there first game ever, enough said.

The Witcher 2 was not broke at all, I have played it 3 times and have noticed no changes to the game.

The Witcher 3 600 fixes are small little fixes to a huge game that was as polished as any game I have ever played on released or years later.

Well, if we're just talking about being playable then 95% of games I've played are ready to play at release.

The witcher 1 is a CDPR game so I can't just dismiss it if we're taking about them.

Witcher 2 definitely had lag issues. Do a quick google search.

Witcher 3 600 fixes 150 stability issues weren't small to many. Again do a quick search for witcher 3 crashes and one could read for hours. Also that was just there biggest patch not the only one.

Also all 3 games had later added content so If I want the best and most complete experience I couldn't get it on release with any of them.

I don't care to get into a huge thing, but most games are released broken.

POE to me is not the same game they released on day one, I have played it twice to completions so I am not saying I don't like the game. From I say in the video of this new patch it changes yet again.

I'm not trying to argue which one is better as I don't know I've played but haven't finish either because I'm waiting for all content or patches on both.

So I think both benefit from 6-12 months wait.

Also all 3 games had later added content so If I want the best and most complete experience I couldn't get it on release with any of them.
Yeah, this is the key part. Tons was added later to Witcher 2. Seems you have to wait approx 1 year after release to play your average game today, if you want to play the full experience, with all fixes, enhancements, and additions (including "DLC", etc).

On that note, PoE is finally safe to play in a week or two... Still waiting on Witcher 3.

POE to me is not the same game they released on day one
Neither was Witcher 1 or 2. The only difference is your personal level of appreciation.

Always the same discussion. Every Infinity game became better with its Expansion. Was that a reason to sit and wait for the Black Isle Collection? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom