What games are you playing now?

I'm really not playing much at the moment. My attention just hasn't been there.

Dabbled a bit in Monster Hunter Freedom for the PSP. Fun little game but didn't play much. You're basically a monster hunter that has to slay beasts and become a better hunter, etc.

Haven't really played much else. A few short sessions of Baldur's Gate 2, trying to advance my progress in that game. I've sort of been focused on getting a new laptop to stream the game to that I haven't really been playing it for that reason. Once I get a new laptop it should be back to BG2, for sure.

I tend to jump on games casually now and just play for a few minutes at a time. I like the PSP because there's lots of sports games that are fun to play a few rounds of at a time. Nothing serious but a fun way to waste a half hour here and there.

The last few weeks have been great after playing Risen 3 and The Last of Us. I'm sort of torn on what to play now though.

I enjoyed TLoU so much that I'm tempted to give the Uncharted series another try because it's from the same developer.

Having used my PS3 for the first time in a long time also has me eyeing some of the other games I own but have never played. Dragon's Dogma is one. I messed around with it for a few hours after getting it but never went back to it for one reason or another.

I've also been wanting to replay Bioshock Infinite, and I've never played the DLCs for it.

Decisions...

I found Dragon's Dogma to be a strange mess of a game. Some good ideas, but it never clicked for me.

Bioshock Infinite is eerily similar to Last of Us in terms of the main plot. In fact, it's extremely similar - and it even has the same dude voicing the same protector role ;) Might be too similar after Last of Us?

Anyway, the DLC is pretty good for BI - at least I think so.

But - be warned - you're also playing as a vulnerable young girl in the DLC ;)

Bioshock Infinite is eerily similar to Last of Us in terms of the main plot. In fact, it's extremely similar - and it even has the same dude voicing the same protector role ;) Might be too similar after Last of Us?

Interesting... I had no idea that Joel from TLoU and Booker Dewitt were the same guy. Definitely a very talented voice actor. He's got a heck of a resume too.

Interesting… I had no idea that Joel from TLoU and Booker Dewitt were the same guy. Definitely a very talented voice actor. He's got a heck of a resume too.

Yup, and when you see him in interviews - he looks and sounds nothing at all like his characters. Serious talent indeed ;)

I was dinking around in Distant Worlds for a good while but, whenever battles start to rage, I tend to lose interest. There's just too much happening too fast for me to follow.

Now I'm doing the old and new at the same time. I got the early access for Theme Park Studio so I can make more huge, ugly rollercoasters plus I'm playing as a Malkavian in V:tM:Bloodlines.

Just started playing Bioshock 2. I've never played very far into it for some reason, and I wanted to finish it before I replay Bioshock Infinite.

Seems ok so far, but I'm having some major stability issues. It wants to CTD about every 15 minutes without an error message. It seems to be a common issue for a lot of people, and so far the only workaround I've seen is to run the game in DX9 mode which I refuse to do.

I'm hoping I can find a fix because I really want to play this. If not, I've got a shit-load of other games waiting on the side..

I've tried some more Destiny, and it's still pretty generic. The gameplay/combat is pretty solid (for an FPS on consoles that is), and I've tried to play some more, as it's quite fun in co-op. But I'm not sure if it's because of the game or the co-op.

Anyways, I've tried to like it some more, until I saw this. Recently, almost everyone that's been defending Destiny has said that the reviews don't know what they're talking about. That Destiny is not what everyone expects it to be. That it's main focus is not storytelling and world building, but going item hunting and doing mmo-style raids/missions.

And after reading a comment on a youtube reviewer's Destiny video, I took a better look at my Destiny case. And it reads:
"Destiny is a next-generation first person shooter, with rich cinematic storyletting set in huge worlds to explore."

Bullshit.

Then I found this interview with Bungie's COO.

We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars; we've already seen they do that with Halo. We were extremely proud of what we achieved with Halo… I'm pretty convinced we are going to do it again with Destiny in a way that maybe even Halo never achieved before.

Bullshit nr 2.

Unbelievable. Actually, routine lying and bullshiting ala the business world.

And then this
“We fully anticipate seeing day one reviews from folks who decide to kick the tires,” said Dague, “but don’t have the time or patience to take our ride for a nice, long road trip.”

Oh, so the actual story only starts 2-3 expansions into the 10 year series they want to milk. Well, how about that. Talk about next-gen.

It's just amazing where those 500 million dollars went. Probably hiring big name actors which they don't event use to their best advantage. And when you think about how great this could have been. I'm curious if they'll even make an attempt to take a different course and go for something narrative heavy on the next installment.

Seriously, I'm better off playing Diablo 3. Way more fun and better item hunt. Same endless grind but with a better payoff and a better story (can't believe I said that about D3's story)

Oh, and an MMO it is definately not. Besides the grinding gameplay it has nothing an mmo has.

EDIT: Here's a nice review of it.

Last edited:
Finally picked up D:OS... and wow, it's really quite fun :) My first turn based RPG (excluding pokemon...). Keep making silly mistakes so reloading a lot (hubby is getting irritated... playing co-op with him ^^)

I'm giving Kingdoms of Amalur another shot. It's much better than I expected, sort of like a good version of Fable in terms of gameplay, but it's a bit too gamey to feel like a "proper" RPG. I'm having fun with it, but more as a filler bit of action. I'm looking around for something else to fill the RPG void. Some of the recent offerings look tempting, but I can't quite bring myself to spend £30 on a game these days. Oh, the perils of eternal studentdom!

I have been having trouble getting into any RPG's lately. A lot of starting/stopping. I just started another try of Kingdom of Amalur, but I may stop again and just get the darn thing for the Xbox instead. With no mod scene, it seems like a perfect game for that.

In the meantime Ive been playing a ton of 4x strategy games. Mostly playing Civ5 (with Gods & Kings, and Brave New World expansions), and while its a bit different from other iterations of the game, I actually have been loving it. Im also trying to get into Fallen Enchantress:Legenday Heroes and just picked up Endless Legends too. I haven't gotten past the tutorial for that one yet though

I'm generally a monogamous gamer, although in recent years I've gotten a little more promiscuous due to having DDO need constant attention. But I've buffered my tender sensibilities by separating the MMO grind from my solo gaming. With the new job and the Wild Dogs being in full swing for after-school stuff, my solo gaming has been a bit sparse.

Several weeks back, I fired up another Wiz8 run in preparation for my writeup for Felipepe's book. That's going well. It's actually been a couple years since my last run, at least one that got past Arnika. It's been long enough that I'm a little fuzzy on a couple things, which is a nice change. My merry band has made it to Marten's Bluff and we're in that sweet spot for difficulty where we can mow down most things but every once in a while the game throws a zinger that makes me work for it.

So, two or three weeks ago, Steam throws the XCom package (Unknown + Within + 2 DLC) up for $15. I've had it on my wishlist since release, but only recently got a rig that could actually handle it. I need another game for the backlog about as much as I need my legs broken by a mob enforcer, but who can say no to a price like that. Living in the backwaters of Indiana as I do, my internet quality varies between hot garbage and cold piss so it actually took several days to complete the download (I don't like to leave the laptop running unattended too much). So once I've got all 16GB across the telegraph lines, I figure I ought to fire the game up real quick to make sure the download was clean and maybe get a quick glance at what I've had on the wishlist for a couple years.

And so the torrid affair began.

Back before half of y'all were born, it was just me, the wife, and the dog, and I actually had energy. I remember picking up the original XCom at Electronics Boutique simply because it was a Microprose game and the blurb on the box looked fun. I drug the wife home early and proceeded to play non-stop until 6am, went to bed until 8am, woke back up and played non-stop until the wife finally rebelled at 4pm. Took a few hours off, came back and played until 2am, called in sick to work and played most of the day Monday. Yeah, I had it bad.

I don't have the energy nor the free time for that sort of dedication these days, but the old XCom magic is working. So I've got DDO, Wiz8 and now XCom all on a string. I just hope they don't find out about each other.

I'm generally a monogamous gamer, although in recent years I've gotten a little more promiscuous due to having DDO need constant attention. But I've buffered my tender sensibilities by separating the MMO grind from my solo gaming. With the new job and the Wild Dogs being in full swing for after-school stuff, my solo gaming has been a bit sparse.

Several weeks back, I fired up another Wiz8 run in preparation for my writeup for Felipepe's book. That's going well. It's actually been a couple years since my last run, at least one that got past Arnika. It's been long enough that I'm a little fuzzy on a couple things, which is a nice change. My merry band has made it to Marten's Bluff and we're in that sweet spot for difficulty where we can mow down most things but every once in a while the game throws a zinger that makes me work for it.

So, two or three weeks ago, Steam throws the XCom package (Unknown + Within + 2 DLC) up for $15. I've had it on my wishlist since release, but only recently got a rig that could actually handle it. I need another game for the backlog about as much as I need my legs broken by a mob enforcer, but who can say no to a price like that. Living in the backwaters of Indiana as I do, my internet quality varies between hot garbage and cold piss so it actually took several days to complete the download (I don't like to leave the laptop running unattended too much). So once I've got all 16GB across the telegraph lines, I figure I ought to fire the game up real quick to make sure the download was clean and maybe get a quick glance at what I've had on the wishlist for a couple years.

And so the torrid affair began.

Back before half of y'all were born, it was just me, the wife, and the dog, and I actually had energy. I remember picking up the original XCom at Electronics Boutique simply because it was a Microprose game and the blurb on the box looked fun. I drug the wife home early and proceeded to play non-stop until 6am, went to bed until 8am, woke back up and played non-stop until the wife finally rebelled at 4pm. Took a few hours off, came back and played until 2am, called in sick to work and played most of the day Monday. Yeah, I had it bad.

I don't have the energy nor the free time for that sort of dedication these days, but the old XCom magic is working. So I've got DDO, Wiz8 and now XCom all on a string. I just hope they don't find out about each other.

Nicely articulated report, thanks ;)

Did you ever finish Bioshock Infinite?

Nicely articulated report, thanks ;)

Did you ever finish Bioshock Infinite?
I did not. I made some progress and then got my new job which pretty much wiped out my gaming time for a couple months. I'm going to have to start from scratch when I fire it up again, which I will do before too terribly long. I was enjoying the political commentary, although the overt racism was a little grating (by intent, I'm quite sure).

I did not. I made some progress and then got my new job which pretty much wiped out my gaming time for a couple months. I'm going to have to start from scratch when I fire it up again, which I will do before too terribly long. I was enjoying the political commentary, although the overt racism was a little grating (by intent, I'm quite sure).

Yep, the game isn't about that :)

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get around to it!

Playing Jade Empire right now for the past week or so. For being a Bioware product (at least in part), I'm rather enjoying it. The kung fu aspects are well done, and the story seems good, at least so far. In some ways it seems similar to an mmo, and I mean that in a good way. The quests are varied, and I rarely feel like I'm just rerunning a mission over and over. Not sure how much more there is to do in the game, I'm in a place called the Necropolis, came here after winning the title in the arena after a seriously grueling epic fight, lol.

After this one, Divinity might be up to bat, I think it might have hit the minimum patch threshold for me.

Back
Top Bottom