Tabletop Simulator

Thaurin

SasqWatch
I couldn't find anything about Tabletop Simulator on the boards, which is kinda strange because it is all sorts of brilliant! Last night I fooled around and watched several games, among which Magic: The Gathering, WoW the trading card game and HeroQuest (which I didn't know before, but looked really interesting).

Basically, it is an online tabletop sandbox game without rules. There are several base games like chess, checkers, etc. that are included in the game, but the best part is the Steam Workshop integration. People are making all sorts of mods for this and it works really well! I've even seen videos of D&D sessions played with it!

It's in early access. So has nobody here heard of it? Why isn't everyone talking about it. :p

I thought it was cool. However, that D&D session I watched was very slow. I would have the patience for it, but I'm not sure others would.

Well I'm not interested but I do see the potential the game has for other gamers.

I thought it was cool. However, that D&D session I watched was very slow. I would have the patience for it, but I'm not sure others would.

Every D&D session I've had in RL has been slow. :p But then again, we never got very far with it, I guess. The role-playing board games I watched looked pretty fun, but they were obviously experienced with it.

Anyway, I guess this is not as revolutionary as I thought, because there have been 2D versions of the same concept, as well as Desperate Gods which served as inspiration to TTS.

In any case, the people I met and the randomness of which games I ended up playing so far kept me pretty entertained. :)

Looks interesting, though not the first of it's kind as you already mentioned. Afaik there are several which also already have the game rules included.

I also followed LordKats Wyrmwick campaign for probably a dozen hours, which was also fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUu1R5ZlRGA

But can you tell us anything how the lobby system works with the tabletop simulator? I mean you were talking about randomness, so how does it work? How do you find like minded players?

I guess for a group of P&P Gamers you should still check on an external forum? Talking about that - any one you guys can recommend? Might want to try out digital P&P, though I am not hyper confident in that.

Looks interesting, though not the first of it's kind as you already mentioned. Afaik there are several which also already have the game rules included.

I've been thinking what if they implemented a system to add game rules, but I'm not sure how that'd work. TTS's strong suit is that it's limited only by the physics system and imported assets, so basically you can play any game that can be played on a table with any rule set you like.

I also followed LordKats Wyrmwick campaign for probably a dozen hours, which was also fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUu1R5ZlRGA

Looks interesting, I'll check it out. I've never thought to search online for D&D sessions (digital or analogue) before I got TTS.

But can you tell us anything how the lobby system works with the tabletop simulator? I mean you were talking about randomness, so how does it work? How do you find like minded players?

Well, I just got the game, so I'm not sure how everyone else is finding their game. But there is a server browser and several game types to choose from. Many are just labeled as 'None' but the description sometimes explains what they're playing. Sometime's it's "You Pick The Game" or whatever. And of course, there are card games that I'd never heard about that I jumped into.

There is a good share of idiots that just mess around, but also plenty of serious gamers and there are decent admin tools. Jumping into some sort of party card game with voice chat randomly proved to be good fun several times, as well as a game of HeroQuest (which game I didn't really understand).

Other times, I joined games that turned into Magic: The Gathering games which worked pretty well and were fun.

I guess for a group of P&P Gamers you should still check on an external forum? Talking about that - any one you guys can recommend? Might want to try out digital P&P, though I am not hyper confident in that.

I'd be interested in that, too, because that is probably where the real fun of TTS is. You can probably find out much from chatting with people in games that are in progress.

Also, there is an in-game IRC channel that you can use. I have not tried that, yet.

Back
Top Bottom