XCOM 2 - New E3 Gameplay Trailer @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN live at the E3:
Firaxis' Garth DeAngelis guides us through a mission against Advent soldiers, a deadly Viper, and three new enemy types, followed by Q&A with IGN's XCOM expert Dan Stapleton.

Thanks Couch for spotting this!

More information.

Seems nice. I hope to see many more videos soon :D

Overall— looks good! My issues/questions…

1) So enemy reinforcements can appear, rappel down from their ship, seek cover AND shoot you in one turn? That seems kind of cheap to me. Rage-quit will be high with this one.

**EDIT: Listening further... they clarify that this was done for demo purposes only, and not actually allowed in game.

2) Melee/samarai swords, other than being 'fun', makes no sense tactically. So you run up, hack at something and hope that you kill it, then you're stuck standing in the open to be killed next turn. OR… you don't kill the thing yourself and are killed anyway. Unless swords are so uberly powerful vs guns (which would be dumb), this may be my single-greatest complaint with the game.

Overall— looks good! My issues/questions…

2) Melee/samarai swords, other than being 'fun', makes no sense tactically. So you run up, hack at something and hope that you kill it, then you're stuck standing in the open to be killed next turn. OR… you don't kill the thing yourself and are killed anyway. Unless swords are so uberly powerful vs guns (which would be dumb), this may be my single-greatest complaint with the game.

Not much different than shotguns in EU/EW or sawed off shotgun in Long War.
It will probably do more damage than rifle and will be used as a finishing move. Or a high level ranger will have immunity to critical like shotgunners did in EU/EW

Looks good, but it was still too set-up. Even if massively bugged, I would be more excited about seeing an actual mission rather than a demo/trailer mission.

The only advantage I can see is the stealth factor. Maybe with the melee weapons, your ranger can run up to an enemy and kill with sword without alerting the rest of the enemy group. Otherwise yeah, better to give them a face full of shotgun.

The only advantage I can see is the stealth factor. Maybe with the melee weapons, your ranger can run up to an enemy and kill with sword without alerting the rest of the enemy group.

What if there will be enemies resistant to bullets and thrusting damage but vulnerable to slashing damage in close combat?

Or resistant to bullets, thrusting damage and slashing but vulnerable to tickling?

Tickling? Don't be silly. In the modern PC world, words are the most hurtful weapon. You seem to be forgetting the new class, French Taunter... ;)

I had to watch without sound since I'm at work, but I was a little troubled by two things- the waves of monsters that were dropped right on your head, and the 143 tile range on the snakeman's tongue attack. Sounds like I'll have to watch again tonight to see what's real and what's demo-related.

Yeah, enemies dropping from thin air on top off you is a mechanic that sucks. Hated it with the thin men in XCOM:EU, hate it here. However, I am still intrigued and want to play it. :)

Or resistant to bullets, thrusting damage and slashing but vulnerable to tickling?

You should suggest it to developers. They will thank you for your aaaawesome idea.
Maybe they will mention inspiration from that "thrusting / slashing / crushing" damage from RPGs. :juggle:

Last edited:
Yeah, enemies dropping from thin air on top off you is a mechanic that sucks. Hated it with the thin men in XCOM:EU, hate it here. However, I am still intrigued and want to play it. :)

I'm sure the Dev who was in the trailer was asked about that happening in the demo, he said it was only put in to add more action and that it wouldn't be like that when the game was released.

Not quite. The comment was that enemy drops would be a part of the game but that dropped enemies getting immediate turns/attacks was just for demo tension. The implication seems to me that the "moving fence sweep" tactic isn't going to work nearly as well. A "rolling ball" that's ready for attacks from all sides will be more effective.

Still using enemy drops? That's pretty disappointing.

How fucking hard is it to implement a reasonable roaming AI? It worked great on my 486dx2 in 1994 for heaven's sake.

Well hopefully enemy drops will not be part of every mission just like it wasn't in last game.
(I am not counting as enemy drops when new group spawns somewhere in darkness and starts roaming around).

But yes, I would also like most enemies placed on map at start with proper AI that moves them from cover to cover. Maybe we get that with Xcom 3 :D

This one will have random maps and some looting options so I guess they considered that as enough of new features :D

I'm playing the last one right now with the long war mod...think I may have to restart as I am now getting my ass handed to me..

I'm looking forward to this one.

Back
Top Bottom