Risen Smithing Skill - Is it worth the points?

dagoo7

Watchdog
Was thinking about playing around with smithing if i have some free learning pts later on, but was wondering if it was really worth the 15 pts (20 with prospecting) in terms of what you can make.

I understand that the strongest weapons in the game are found in later chapters as opposed to being made. So I assume this skill only provides the most benefit when you take it early on. And may not be advisable or necessary to take in Ch. 3 or 4.

Already had a topic about that in the spoiler section:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8523

You can make very strong swords with it. No axes. The necks/rings are fairly good. Of course, the minor upgrades you get from amulets and rings will hardly matter in the end - both the enemy and the hero will be dishing out damage in the 100s, so having 5 more strength or protection will mean very little.

I'd say Smithing is at its best in chapter 1 and 2, especially if you get access to the best stuff fairly early on.

Thanks. Searched the wrong forum. I apparently have some difficulty discerning the difference between spoiler and non-spoiler, perhaps as a result of not being a spoiler-averse type.

Make swords and sell them. They are extra gold in the pocket.

There is a neck that provides +2 to all crystal magics. It's definetly useful if you intend to try out several magic types in one game. However, I personally prefer a necklace with +mana, as mana is always in short supply.

There is a neck that provides +2 to all crystal magics. It's definetly useful if you intend to try out several magic types in one game. However, I personally prefer a necklace with +mana, as mana is always in short supply.

That was what I gathered reading several other posts on the topic of smithing, and the reason I didn't train it myself. Were I playing a more melee-oriented char, I would definitely pick it up. Thanks for the tips!

Speaking of mana, what's a good working level to train to?

Smithing being useless is pretty false, while weapon smithing is shit, the gold smithing is awesome as you get to make rings etc that can resist all forms of physical attack by +8 on rings, forgot what the necklace does. Useful throughout the game.

I dont know about mana, it kind of depends on which mage spells you go for. If you go for magic bullet, then a lot of mana is necessary, if you got for freeze you dont really need to increase it. Fireball fans need like +30 imo. remember you can make mana limit increasing potions.

Back
Top Bottom