The Witcher - Review @ PC Gamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The latest PC Gamer sees Desslock's review for the The Witcher inside. We don't normally link to scans but since this one is at CD Projekt's official site, we'll run with this one. Described as a "spectacular RPG", the score is 90% and you find the links on this page.
Thanks, xSamhainx!
More information.

Good work, Desslock. :)

I was pleased to see PCG give Witcher the nice two page review treatment, I think the review itself was pretty good. He did mention one thing that I think is kinda dumb - the fact that you can walk into people's homes and rummage thru and even take their posessions right in front of them. They should have made this only possible if the resident is asleep. You have a sleep cycle in the game, this would be a good way to make it more meaningful and realistic. I just dont steal from people's homes or businesses unless it's someone I dont like, I'm probably missing out on a lot of loot but that's the way Geralt rolls imho.

I really like the way that paintings are featured in some of the narrative cutscenes, one of which is featured on the second page of the review. It adds a real artistic flair to the whole thing. A lot of effort went into this game's artwork and overall presentation, and while not truly necessary, it certainly adds some really good icing on the cake.

I don't suppose Desslock could get in touch with Alec Meer over at UK PC Gamer? Alec wrote a farcical review of The Witcher - he even gets the combat mechanism completely wrong, which might partly explain his lack of enjoyment. But rather it seems like he just couldn't be bothered to give the game any time at all.

The UK PC Gamer and the American PC Gamer don't have any editors/writers in common, and are pretty different magazines, so I have no ammunition to spank him for that review.

I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of the reviewers of games like the Witcher, and Gothic 1/2, didn't play those games for more than an hour (not saying that's the case with the UK PC Gamer review, which I haven't even read - just highlighting a disturbingly common practice in the gaming industry).

Normally the PC Gamer guys understandably get scans of magazine articles taken down, but I certainly don't mind the review being circulated if it helps The Witcher get more attention. Stay tuned for the Games of the Year awards.

It certainly adds to the review by bringing out the amazing art style, thanks. :)

My favorite and most touching moments are the piece of art scene of Siegfried telling the guards of the Dike to allow passage for Geralt and the cutscene when Geralt tells the lynching crowd, if they try to hurt Abby after he leaves he will come for them and there familes, ala Unforgiven. Certainly the best high points of emotional impact I have seen in games in awhile. :)

Back
Top Bottom