XCOM 2 - Procedurally Generated Maps @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Brandin Tyrrel (IGN) explains the difference between 'random' and 'procedural':
The words procedurally generated spark the idea of endlessly interchangeable combinations of parts linked together in hundreds of different ways, creating something unique that may never be seen again. At its heart, that’s not terribly far off the mark, but as Firaxis Games discovered during the production of its 2012 reboot, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, there’s a gulf between random and procedural. And traveling from Enemy Unknown to XCOM 2 has meant discovering how to bridge that long divide.

(…)

The first rule, according to XCOM 2 Art Director Greg Foertsch, is striking a balance. “Random’s not fun,” Foertsch declared. “That’s the lesson we learned. The procedurally generated levels in Enemy Unknown, they were more random.”

(…)

However, with the addition of mod support in XCOM 2 — which we’ll be diving into next week — and the modular nature of building design and creation, there’s no telling how many different variations and original buildings you’ll soon be blowing holes through. But in the meantime, Firaxis is planning plenty of variety in each map layout.

“You might get a gas station next to a park, next to a parking lot in one playthrough, and that's your experience,” DeAngelis said. “Even though the ‘quilt’ is the same, all of these elements are procedural, mini set piece bases.”

The plot portion of that system comes into play in the space between our buildings. At the risk of mixing our metaphors, think of the plots as the connective tissue that links one parcel to the next. The plots could be a street, or a park area, or train tracks, or a river bed, or an empty tract of land, et cetera. When you begin a mission, the map reaches into a bank of options and fills it up.

(…)

But the procedurally generated approach of XCOM 2 doesn’t stop with the patchwork environments and battlefield locales. For the first time, your squad will not only be tasked with exterminating the aliens in the area, but secondary mission objectives which will cater to the procedurally generated settings. “It might be blowing up one of these buildings to spark the resistance,” Foertsch said. “It might be hacking a workstation, or protecting a device. All these different things you can do that can show up and in dozens of different buildings and areas. And you don't know what you're going to get.

Eurogamer: XCOM 2 Trailer Reaction - Did we lose the war?

More information.

I'm always a bit skeptical about procedurally generated content, but it can work like Battle Brothers showed us earlier this year.

What matters is that you won't be able to anticipate enemy placement. Proof is in the pudding I guess; looking forward to this.

So you're still going to eventually memorize the layout of each map, but the buildings in each 'blank' area will be randomized. Hmm… I have some doubts, but I guess I'll wait and see.

Love the new look of the troopers and equipment, but not sure I like ninja swords. The only reason Assault class has to get close is because the shotguns/alloy cannons needed to be close to hit hard— and the Mechs had special melee modules to hit the bigger aliens even harder. Now… running up with a katana seems kind of stupid, and certainly not very smart tactically. I sure hope it's a backup "last resort" weapon and not a primary strategy in this game.

Speaking of Mechs, I hope that's the class they are waiting to reveal. They are way too cool not to include in this sequel.

Maybe the worst part of the Xcom remake were the aliens' static starting positions until discovered and the scripted aliens dropping out of the sky at predetermined moments -- shades of Bioware's Blight popping out of the ground, a cheap and uninspired mechanic. I hope they manage to do better than that the next time around.

Maybe the worst part of the Xcom remake were the aliens' static starting positions until discovered and the scripted aliens dropping out of the sky at predetermined moments — shades of Bioware's Blight popping out of the ground, a cheap and uninspired mechanic. I hope they manage to do better than that the next time around.

My thought exactly. If they have that free move on spotting shit again I'll be sad, although I don't there's much chance of it disappearing. I'll still play it of course, it was a good game, with enemy within almost great in my book. But oh what I wouldn't give to have actual roaming enemies like in the original instead of what XCOM had. And no damn enemies dropping from the sky instantly killing my guys, that's one reason I never bothered with Ironman although I understand the game is alot more challenging and fun with it turned on. But if I go Ironman I want the game to be "Fair" and not be forced to rely on cheap tactics like moving my squad one step at a time.

I'm of the belief, that with enough variations procedurely generated maps ARE better then a handfull of hand crafted maps. Maybe not so much in short term quality, but if you want a long lasting experience where it doesn't feel like every map you enter is exactly the same with enemies placed in different spots you must have a way of varying your maps.

I trust Firaxis will bring a very good procedural system. As it was specially developed for the PC, I'm sure it will be good, a must buy for sure.

Back
Top Bottom