State of Decay - Sells Two Million

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamesReviews has news that State of Decay has sold two million copies.

Zombie survival title State of Decay has sold two million copies across both Steam and Xbox Live. Although it’s been out for quite some time, re-releases and sales prove that it’s still lurching slowly forwards.

Indie games aren’t always successful, but games like State of Decay proves that it can happen. Take a decent idea, make it work, build a fanbase and, with a little luck, you can sell two million copies across two platforms. The Steam release has helped boost things along and, as with all PC games, is bound to have a long tail as the title becomes increasingly cheap over time.

More than that though, these two million sales are without DLC included. While the exact details of extra content sales hasn’t been released, you can presume that that would add another decent chunk of sales to the overall picture.

Things aren’t quite over yet, either. State of Decay will be coming to Xbox One in the coming months, adding yet another platform to the two already previously released. While another millions sales might be pushing it on Xbox One, across the three platforms it’s very possible that we’ll see three or maybe even four million units sold this time next year, thanks to the Christmas and Summer Steam sales and that pesky need to have everything looking as pretty as possible.
More information.

Bought this game by pure accident in a Steam deal and it's fun.

I think it's one of the better zombie / survival games. The fact that you have to keep a community going (as in dead state too but few know since the pace of development has been glacial) gives you more to do and reasons to do things.

I really enjoy 7DTD but the lack of long term goals in it hurt it for PvE unless you really just enjoy building unnecessary bases to get your minecraft on. The community element of State of Decay basically gives you all kinds of goals and pushes gameplay, although IMO sometimes TOO much.

The only thing that ever drove me nuts in SoD is the insane frequency of side missions that generally involve community members going full retard. Helpless idiots who should never leave the base getting stuck outside your base and needing rescued. People getting depressed and needing to go for a zombie slaying walk. Great ideas that are overdone to death and that occur way too often (I haven't played in ages so maybe they eventually tuned this to be less annoying).

Plus the lack of co-op really sucks. If this game had co-op (doesn't need the FFA grief-based lame PvP of a Rust or DayZ or even 7DTD, just limited co-op) it would be the best of the bunch IMO. The combat is excellent, game systems are excellent, nice graphics, fun vehicle-based slaughter, good mechanics for zombie behaviors, etc. Lack of co-op hurts thought.

Back
Top Bottom