Path of Exile - Game Status & Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grinding Gear Games has a new press release about that Path of Exile. It contains information about the amount of registered users, and talks about a new patch.

New Supporter Packs available; Version 1.0.2 now live

Auckland, New Zealand - December 2, 2013 - Grinding Gear Games today announced that their popular action RPG, Path of Exile, has exceeded initial expectations just one month after the game's official launch.

With over 4 million and counting registered users and more than 250,000 daily users, Path of Exile saw 1.5 million unique players log in following the end of its Open Beta. Path of Exile has also garnered a wealth of critical acclaim across the globe, including top scores from leading game sites such as IGN and GameSpot.

New Supporter Packs

Additionally, Grinding Gear Games has given both new and old community members the chance to support the game and receive exclusive bonuses through the purchase of all-new Supporter Packs. Thanks to the generous contributions of thousands of members of the Path of Exile community, the sales of Supporter Packs have funded a significant portion of the game's development, contributing to content and server costs throughout both the Closed and Open Betas.

These Supporter Packs offer a wide range of bonuses including Points (used for microtransactions), cosmetic item and spell effects, forum titles, alternate in-game social portraits, Path of Exile shirts/hoodies, the extended digital soundtrack, and more, with each tier containing more enticing rewards than the last.

Supporter Packs are now available for purchase in the following tiers:

• Survivor Pack: $50
  • Warrior Pack: $120
  • Champion Pack: $280
  • Conqueror Pack: $900
For full details on each of Path of Exile's latest Supporter Packs, including purchasing options, please visit https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase.

Version 1.0.2

Furthermore, the latest update to Path of Exile, Version 1.0.2, went live last Wednesday, November 27. Version 1.0.2 includes several new Unique items, vendor recipes, achievements, and microtransactions, as well as final touches on the rapid-fire PvP Tournaments, various bug fixes, and some balancing changes to the game's damage over time mechanics.

Further information on Path of Exile 1.0.2, including the full patch notes, can be found at Path of Exile Update Notes Link

Grinding Gear Games regularly releases videos to expand on and complement updates, including patch previews, upcoming gameplay trailers, Developer Diaries, and Build of the Week segments directly from Chris Wilson. Interested players should check out the Path of Exile YouTube page.
More information.

Last edited:
Those sound like impressive numbers to me. I wonder how much money they are making though? Their FTP scheme is pretty unobtrusive and completely ignorable unless you want to pimp your character...Or so I've read.

Yes, it's more Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 was.

In some ways that's good, in other ways - less so.

But it's definitely not for non-fans of the genre, as it's pretty hardcore.

I guess I should probably check it out in that case. Anyone tried, is it any good ?

I guess I should probably check it out in that case. Anyone tried, is it any good ?

I tried it - and it's fantastic for what's essentially an indie game made on a relatively low budget.

But I think it suffers from being somewhat stuck in the past, and the meaty content runs out too soon.

For a game with that amount of depth and character build complexity - they needed at least 2-3 more acts, if you ask me.

Some people are fine with extreme repetition - and that's arguably part of the genre, but I think it's too much to make the game last.

If you like complex character building and itemization this is one of best games when it come to that.

From mechanics stand point, things are not as bright.Game overall feels less responsive than other aRPGs and MOBAs.It requires amount of skill especially in last difficulty, but it more relies on you having good build and items and playing to it strengths.

Writing is ok and voice acting ranges from poor to very good.

For a game with that amount of depth and character build complexity - they needed at least 2-3 more acts, if you ask me.

IIRC one more act should come out in spring.

Not a huge fan of the genre, but it's amazingly good for a free to play game. The barter and trading system is really interesting vs. 134,00000 gold etc.

Haven't played through the whole thing. Main problem is there seems to be a bit of a lag now and then. More annoying than game breaking. But again, it's free to play, and you almost have to search for the micro transactions. Hope they do well. I'll be sending them some cash soon.

I'm still in Act one as a Marauder but I like it. It's not easy but the combat is great. I like the gem augmentation system and the fact that you can bank items for other classes on your account. I've been collecting bows and elemental quivers with my melee toon. I love the rag doll, gore and realism compared to the cartoony junk in D3 or Torchlight. Amazingly its not using my 680m and runs perfectly well on my Intel integrated chip. Hey it's free just try it.

I'm at the end of Act 1 in the third (Merciless) difficulty level as a level 58 Maurader, and this is the best ARPG I've played since Sacred 1. Truly, nothing has captured that Diablo 2 magic since then, and I can't recommend P.O.E. enough.

The only problem is the lag. I've had maybe 3 or 4 legitimate deaths...as in deaths caused by defeat at the hands of monsters....whereas I've had about 20-30 "Lag deaths" that were caused by the game getting de-synced with the server.

It's so bad there are *guides* online that tell you how to minimize (But sadly, not how to solve) the horrible lag problem.

Seems like it should tell us something about the state of the industry, that a low budget clone of a 15 year old big budget game can get that many people playing. Though, I'm not sure quite what that is.

I noticed on Steam that 17 out of the first 20 games listed in their RPG section weren't even designed primarily as RPGs. This was one of the other 3. Anyway, I played me the hell out of some Diablo II, but I've never much liked any of the many D2 clones that came out over the years. I suspect the lowest-common-denominator approach to game design got rid of something D2 had that got me included in the fanbase. Think I'm going pass on this one.

It's free and it's good.

For whatever reason, a LOT of people care more about their money than their time, so the first part is essential.

Back
Top Bottom