New Poll - Best RPG's of the 80's

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright everyone I got a little surprise for you all today as the Staff of a website called XP4T wants your help in deciding, "What are the Best RPG's of the 80's?"

After the poll ends the site will create a video based on the results, and will have more polls to come. You can also debate among yourselves, and suggest more games.

So what are you waiting for go vote, and have your voice heard.

Welcome back to the days of yore! Some of us have very fond memories of the early days of PC based RPGs, whereas some of you may not even have been born. Regardless, maybe there are one or two jewels below that you’re unaware of, but yet again maybe you know them all and thus will have a very hard time choosing only 5!

Based on YOUR votes, we’ll be slapping an AWESOME video together. Don’t see a game that you think should be on the list? No problem. Just write the name of the game below in the comments, and if it’s an 80’s PC based role playing game, we’ll add it to the list.

So, without further ado, here are the nominees for XP4T’s Best RPGs of the 80’s, with a brief description of each game below the poll for your convenience.
More information.

I voted for

Curse of the Azure Bonds
Pools of Radiance
Bards Tale
Ultima 4
Battletech

Sorry, Dungeon Master. :(

Never heard of Wasteland until Wasteland 2. I find it hard to believe it scored that highly. I think its just Wasteland 2 fans voting for something they've heard of. :p

Not sure why Pools is scoring higher than Curse. Curse was way better!

Finally an online poll that won't put some crapware on the top spot just because the publisher used multiaccs.

Didn't play any of these and therefore also didn't vote.

Unfortunately now pre 90s games are just beyond my pain threshold in terms of graphics (EGA and inferior) and sound (PC Speaker).
Well, I guess most people didn't play them on PC back in the days.
But when I had a C64 I was still to young to understand English and these game systems (especially without manual *caugh*).

It's surprising however that Pool of Radiance is first. Would have expected one of the "big names" which are still around.

Bards Tale 1
Ultima IV
Dungeon Master
Wizardry 1
Wizardry 4

Pool of Radiance all the way! Still some of my all-time favorite gaming experiences. I also enjoyed Might and Magic and some of the early Wizardrys. I never got into the Ultima games, except Underworld which came later.

Definitly Pool of Radiance, for it's turn-based tactical battlefield and decent implementation of the D&D rules. I still have a certain fondness for Wizardry 1 and Ultima III.

Ultima 2
Ultima 3
Dungeon Master
Wizardry 1
Rogue (I would have voted for Hack but I guess they all got merged into one Rogue-like)

I'm the only one to vote for U2!? Come on people! It had time travel! You fought sea monsters and flew to Pluto! You spelled your name out with the buggy, pirate ship copies! So very, very awesome!

PoR
MM2
Magic Candle
Wiz 5
Yz

I tried to spread the votes around and I didn´t get to play any Ultima until UU2 for some reason
I´ve played them all (ultima) since then
I missed dragon wars in the list but perhaps it´s from the early 90s I don´t remember it would have my vote otherwise

It's a little narrow in its selections really (no Bards Tale II or III for example) but other than that, a fun little exercise. I went for some of my old favourites, two of which were my first games in the genre.

Curse of the Azure Bonds (I like it more than PoR simply due to the mid leveling range 4-12 and overall more engrossing narrative and combat scenarios.)
Bards Tale
Ultima IV (More philosophical than earlier entries...)
Pool of Radiance (note singular and not plural! Still a brilliant game!)
Might & Magic: I: Secret of the Inner Sanctum (I like II a lot too, but it's the only one in the series I haven't finished yet...)

Pool of Radiance (note singular and not plural! Still a brilliant game!)

oops! I guess I got confused with Pools of Darkness.

A brilliant game, yes! I can still remember farming wands of magic missile off the town guards, discovering that metallic dragons are friendly and that epic final dungeon.

Pool of Radiance
Ultima IV
Dungeon Master

Good and influential bunch.

That said, when it comes to this era I remember getting most enjoyment out of Chaos Strikes Back (a notably non-linear sequel to Dungeon Master), Wizardry VI (a 1990 game) and Heavy on the Magic (a pretty innovative ZX Spectrum adventure/RPG).

Last edited:
Pool of Radiance
Wasteland
Bard's Tale (Tales of the Unknown: Volume I)

I can't vote because I wasn't there, then. ;) Not in RPGs, at least.

Pool of Radiance
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Bard’s Tale
Wasteland

I played Might and Magic starting from the 6th and never went back to play the previous games. Same thing with Wizardry, I didn't play the first four games.

I picked
Ultima IV
Ultima III
Dungeon Master
Bards Tale
Magic Candle

They were missing several of my favorites from the 80s
Phantasie III
Dark Hearth of Uukrul
Questron II
Alternate Reality
Faery Tale Adventure
I am not sure if all of the above were available for the PC though, I mostly gamed on the Atari 800 in the first half of the 80s, and the Atari ST and Amiga in latter half.

Back
Top Bottom