Illinois Governor Arrested

In the spirit of using a good political corruption scandal as an almost pleasant distraction from hundreds dying in various wars, here's the latest update on the Burris thing:
Burris is turned away from chamber
The evil pot of race-baiting boils sluggishly, democrats writhe, and the press feeds:
Roland Burris – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s pick to replace Barack Obama in the Senate – was turned away from the chamber this morning after presenting credentials the secretary of the Senate deemed incomplete.

Although the rejection was expected, the circus-like atmosphere surrounding the appointment has angered the Congressional Black Caucus, whose members are becoming increasingly upset over the Burris controversy.

...Burris was accompanied by an entourage of about half a dozen people. As reporters and camera crews swarmed around him, Capitol Police had to clear a path for Vice President-elect Joe Biden, who was trying to pass through...

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus, meanwhile, continued their push Tuesday to get Burris seated, demanding Democratic leaders to seat the Illinois Democrat once his credentials are in order.

The heightened calls and the fresh injection of the racial issue have created discomfort for Senate Democratic leaders who continue to insist that Burris should be denied seating because of the cloud over his appointment.

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), a member of the House Democratic leadership and highest-ranking African-American in Congress, told Politico that the Constitution is on Burris' side.

Always a sign that excrement is hitting the cooling device when they drag in the Constitution...and we thought all the fun was over Nov 4th...

What exactly does the Constitution have to do with the guy's paperwork from Illinois not being complete? The only thing we're missing now is Reverend Wright preaching about Burris' approval being "God's Will".

It's a shame this guy is getting jerked around. He's getting used by several different groups, although I'd bet he's working an angle or two himself (angles which I'd also bet Blago mentioned as a carrot to get Burris to jump into the ring). I expect a fair bit of his motivation, beyond notoriety, is that actually getting seated locks him into the Senate pension plan (large monthly payment and medical for life) even if they yank the seat out from underneath him 20 seconds later. And that judgment has absolutely nothing to do with his race, elkston.

dte wrote:
It's a shame this guy is getting jerked around. He's getting used by several different groups, although I'd bet he's working an angle or two himself (angles which I'd also bet Blago mentioned as a carrot to get Burris to jump into the ring). I expect a fair bit of his motivation, beyond notoriety, is that actually getting seated locks him into the Senate pension plan (large monthly payment and medical for life) even if they yank the seat out from underneath him 20 seconds later

Well, the guy's 71, so maybe he wants the cash and the insurance for his family. :) There's no doubt he's mainly a pawn in Blago's game, but I do get the feeling he may have just a little bit of an ego, as well:

burrisgrave.jpg

here's the evil (and NSFW) wonkette link on above)

Last edited:
(Groan.)

You sure he doesn't have any Italian ancestry? Mussolini arranged to be buried in Emperor Augustus's mausoleum. That didn't quite work out as planned, though...

I seem to remember my grandfather saying something about a tree being Mussolini's semi-final resting place...looking it up in wikipedia, I see it was not even that good. Though he seems to have eventually been interred normally.

Hopefully Mr. Burris has a much better fate in store and can rest in his imposing and Poe-like facility having been proved to be no worse than gullible.

For those fortunate enough to have missed his latest press conference, apparently in his mind entitled, "It's Me Against the System." the latest on Governor F-Word is that he may become the Democratic party's answer to Sara Palin:

Blagojevich, a fan of Western movies, drew a long analogy Friday between his situation and that of a cowboy accused of stealing a horse. His story ended with one cowboy suggesting the accused thief be hanged, with the other suggesting he first be tried, then hanged.
Which sounds fine to me...
If you were crazed enough to listen to the entire analogy, it went something like this: Cowboys don't like horsethieves so they hang them. A cool cowboy named Blago is suspected of stealing a horse, so one cowboy said, let's give him a fair trail and then we'll hang him. But Blago couldn't have stolen that horse, because he was back at El Rancho Grande with six or eight other cowboys who will swear up and down he was a-ropin and a-brandin and singing yippee-ky-yi that night. But the hideously unfair impeachment proceedings--er, nasty cowboy lynch mob, won't let the downhome, aw shucks ma'am Cowboy Blago call those other cowboys as witnesses to prove his lily-white state of innocence....

“Under these rules, I’m not even getting a fair trial; they’re just hanging me. And when they hang me under these rules that prevent due process, they’re hanging the 12 million people of Illinois who twice have elected a governor,” he said.

(The Daily Mash definitely needs to get a hold of this one, Benedict.)

His lawyer quit shortly after this, saying
"I never require a client to do what I say. But I do require them to at least listen," Genson said after a federal court hearing related to the impeachment case. "I wish the governor good luck and Godspeed."

Here's some more over at the Trib.

Sorry to keep pumping this thread, but he keeps blowing my mind. Latest is, he's boycotting his impeachment(nice touch) and he almost appointed Oprah Winfrey to fill Obama's Senate seat, but was afraid it might look like a gimmick.

Ya think?

I almost wish he had. I'm fairly certain Oprah would've given him a good talking-to.

More like, "I figured I'd initiate a discussion with her about it and see it she'd offer me any money."

Saw an interview this morning with him where he was all playing the victim:

"Kangaroo Court"
"Taken out of context"
Compared himself (indirectly) to Gandhi, Mandela, MLK
Etc.

It was pretty funny. At least he admitted that it was unlikely that he'll still be in office come April.

Interesting spin First Read has on it:

Several Democrats have privately fretted that Burris, who has lost several attempts at higher office, would be a weak 2010 candidate. He has lost in primaries in several statewide runs in the past 20-plus years, and his being appointed by Blagojevich automatically makes him vulnerable against a strong GOP challenger, like, say, Rep. Mark Kirk.

But now, this may be enough to: (1) Seriously hurt Burris' chances of surviving primary challenges from strong Democratic challengers like Lisa Madigan, Jan Schakowsky, Jesse Jackson Jr. or others, and (2) Embolden those Democrats and give them prime oppo ammo.

This might clear the way, early enough for Democrats to feel they have a better chance of holding the seat. Of course, Republicans would argue, Blago gives them an easy talking point that will sully any Illinois Democrat in 2010.

We'll have to see how it plays out.

So basically they are saying that by failing to say stuff he wasn't asked but *could* have said he is committing perjury? If that is the case they need to form a line at the door and not stop until the chamber is empty ...

Don't think so, Mike. I read it that he told congress he had no contact with Blago but stated that he had 3 conversations in the affidavit. It's a little sketchy, but it sounds like he told Illinois one thing and told Washington something else.

This story started out ridiculous, got worse and is now setting some kind of Guinness World Record for currupt politics. If this turns out to be true and Burris did perjure himself in order to get this Senate seat, then he deserves to be tarred-and-feathered.

How about he just resigns. ;)

Tarring and feathering seems a bit extreme for a seventy-one year old, regardless of how silly and ego-driven he is.

I think he should use the same excuse I do..."Huh? Did I say that? I don't remember." There can be no doubt about the honesty of that one. :)

Back
Top Bottom